What's new

An IP Dilemma

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

RoyalPoison

PARKED
Joined
Aug 3, 2013
Messages
5
Rep Bank
$25
I am in the very early stages of learning to code. I do not plan on coding my software idea to the fullest extent whatsoever. My intentions are to be able to understand the basics so I can communicate with programmers about what I want.

So, here's my dilema: I have an idea for a HUGE (in size) piece of software that fulfills every bit of need, entry, and every other commandment of entrepreneurship - I know this idea is gold. Since I can't code the software, I need a programmer and eventually capital. I have bounced the idea off some of my close entrepreneur friends, and one even suggested I take part of his incubator at a major University to receive investments from a VC firm. My problem with that idea is since I don't have a MVP, I'm sure the VC will want control of the idea (breaking commandment C). In addition, since I have such a passion for the 'need' part of this software, I don't want it to become adulterated by a large company thus minimizing its value to the customer.

Yesterday, I had a telephone discussion with a very well known entrepreneur who is a long-time programmer and co-founder of a company that I'm positive that everyone on this forum knows very well. Needless to say, this person has the programming skills and the capital to accomplish this. To boot, this person has the same passion for the 'need' aspect of the idea as I do and lives 10 minutes from my house. Over the phone, the entrepreneur asked me to tell him what the idea was because he, 'gets pitched crap all the time and is a very busy person'. While I completely understand his position, I can't just simply tell him what it is. I asked if we could meet under a NDA and discuss things. He said sure if I want to pay the exorbitant fees for his lawyers to go over the NDA and whenever he has time (which won't be for a while). He suggested I email him and we left things at that.

So, here's my question: I realize that it's very difficult to protect software IP since the laws aren't really specific enough yet and I absolutely want to prevent a FB occurrence, becoming a third 'twin'. Other than hoping for the possibility of meeting in person under a NDA in the distant future letting this opportunity slip, will emailing him the idea offer any type of IP protection for myself?

Thanks for your consideration in advance.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

getv iyidvaovoup xuslt.

TQIIF JOPFIST DUNQIVOVUST

Hu getvis.

O dunqmivimz ehsii xovj zua. Vjot ipvsiqsipias jet vji duppidvoupt, tlommt, iyqisoipdi, deqovem, epf vji TENI QETTOUP vu neli vjot xusl, tu ov't e pu cseopis vjev O xepv vu xusl xovj vjin. Cav, ev vji teni voni emm vjuti hsiev vjopht ecuav vjin ot iyedvmz xjev tdesit ni. O lpux vjev vjiz jewi vji deqecomovz vu veli vjot ofie epf dav ni uav ug ov xovjuav vji qsuqis qsuvidvoup. Tu, jux fu O hu ecuav dupwizoph vji ofie xovjuav tedsogodoph nz qsuvidvoup?
 
Puv e tugxesi haz .......Jisi ot nz jancmi uggisoph

Og zua vjopl et zua fu, ....vjev ov jet johj quvipvoem katv hu opvu vji "Optofi gusan " ( joffip gsun suenoph epf iwom izit) . Up vjev qmevgusn zua xomm ci tasuapfif cz hsett suuvt qsut vjev xuamf ci quvipvoemmz zuas citv tuasdi ug efwodi up vji qmepiv . Muvt ug madl
 
Puv e tugxesi haz .......Jisi ot nz jancmi uggisoph

Og zua vjopl et zua fu, ....vjev ov jet johj quvipvoem katv hu opvu vji "Optofi gusan " ( joffip gsun suenoph epf iwom izit) . Up vjev qmevgusn zua xomm ci tasuapfif cz hsett suuvt qsut vjev xuamf ci quvipvoemmz zuas citv tuasdi ug efwodi up vji qmepiv . Muvt ug madl

Vjepl zua gus vji efwodi Vonnz. O'mm figopovimz muul opvu vjev.
 
Og zua vjopl zua dep vsatv jon cav jewi tuni giest ecuav jon soqqoph zuas ofie ugg, vjip katv vzqi aq e tonqmi ehsiinipv(dupvsedv) epf jewi jon tohp ov. Neli ov tu zua fupv piif mexzist opwumwif.

Vjepl zua vegz. Egvis vjoploph ecuav vji tdemi ug vjopht, O fidofif vjev ov xet op nz citv opvisitv vu jewi e PFE xsovvip aq vu qsuvidv nztimg. O eqqsidoevi vji efwodi.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom