The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone has experience investing in Tax Deeds?

hqr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 1, 2012
TEXAS
Texas real estate is getting more difficult to get good deals because of investors fighting for the same deals.

I have been trying to find creative ways to get deals, one of which I'm considering purchasing properties through tax deeds... any advise?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Some time within the next month or so, I hope to do a deep dive on this subject. I took a class on it a few years ago, so I have a bunch of surface knowledge but need to get up to date on current state by state legislation on liens vs. deeds. If you happen to do some research on this, please post your findings here.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
I've purchased tax liens a few times in the past. Rules vary state to state and even county to county.

Here, in Colorado, most counties hold either an auction or a round-robin rate buy down. Denver actually uses an online bidding system, powered by a company called RealAuction, who services other states and counties. I've also invested in Wyoming, where they use a lottery system and a fixed rate of return. Some counties in Wyoming will take a number out of rotation once it's called, so that everyone gets a chance at buying one lien before someone has two. But others are just completely random, so you might get a bunch of liens and the guy next to you walks away with none. In Wyoming, I have seen companies recruit day laborers and bums off the street to get extra lottery numbers.

I wouldn't consider tax lien investing a Fastlane strategy, but it's a good option for parking some extra cash. The downsides are that they usually get paid off (you very rarely end up with the property and if you do, there's usually a reason for it), and you have no control as to when the lien gets paid back. It could very well be redeemed the next day, in which case, you might even lose money if the bidding gets too crazy.

These days, most counties post their rules online. A quick Google search should pull up all the information you need. Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.