The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

B2B Customer Relationships Etiquette

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

machinistguy

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
540%
Aug 22, 2022
DFW, Texas
Our biggest customer is a publicly traded company. We did ~$190k in sales with them last year, and projected $300k this year. The company is the client... but it's really individuals that we work with. The quality control employee, the team lead, the VP CC'ed to half the emails but we only occasionally interact with etc.

So the "company" is the client, but its human beings with emotions that are making the decisions. I've always maintained a purely professional relationship. Do you push the relationship towards friendship? If I visit a city known for it's chocolate, do I get the team a box of chocolate as a thank you? Do you invite them to a local steakhouse and... talk shop or no shop talk? Do you do this for the whole team or just those in a senior position? I am genuinely grateful to everyone one of them, they took a shot on my company when no one else did, but then again, it wasn't altruistic, I solved a problem they were struggling with for 4 years.

Shortly after we got this client, one of the employees moved to another big company that we could do the same amount of sales with if we had an in and knew what they wanted. Maybe if I was friends with them I'd have an in? Did not getting them tickets to a cowboy's game cost my company $300k in lost opportunity?

Curious to hear the forums thoughts. @Kak @Antifragile @MJ DeMarco @BizyDad, I think you guys all do/did B2B so I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have the time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
426%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Our biggest customer is a publicly traded company. We did ~$190k in sales with them last year, and projected $300k this year. The company is the client... but it's really individuals that we work with. The quality control employee, the team lead, the VP CC'ed to half the emails but we only occasionally interact with etc.

So the "company" is the client, but its human beings with emotions that are making the decisions. I've always maintained a purely professional relationship. Do you push the relationship towards friendship? If I visit a city known for it's chocolate, do I get the team a box of chocolate as a thank you? Do you invite them to a local steakhouse and... talk shop or no shop talk? Do you do this for the whole team or just those in a senior position? I am genuinely grateful to everyone one of them, they took a shot on my company when no one else did, but then again, it wasn't altruistic, I solved a problem they were struggling with for 4 years.

Shortly after we got this client, one of the employees moved to another big company that we could do the same amount of sales with if we had an in and knew what they wanted. Maybe if I was friends with them I'd have an in? Did not getting them tickets to a cowboy's game cost my company $300k in lost opportunity?

Curious to hear the forums thoughts. @Kak @Antifragile @MJ DeMarco @BizyDad, I think you guys all do/did B2B so I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have the time.

IMO, there is no right or wrong.

Personally I tend to be informal but "all business". I also pay attention to cues. So for example, I don't ask about people's family, but if they ask me about mine I'll happily share. I won't remember your details, but I'll remember most everything about your biz, your role there, your challenges and frustrations. But do you have one kid or two? I honestly have no idea. Tell me again...

Day to day I have stuff to do and don't have time to chit chat. But in those times where I sense a cammaderie, I have occasionally ask people to have dinner or go see a game. And I'm the guy at conferences who's always up for the after party.

But I also don't ever want it to be pushy or disingenuous. So if I don't like somebody, I don't try to force an extra level to the relationship. We keep it professional and do our jobs.

That said, somehow I get asked for beers or whatever often enough. I usually go and I usually pay. Or try to. If somebody's going to go out on a limb to invite me somewhere, the least I can do is show up and make them laugh.

Like you I wonder about these things. Does the fact that I never golf hurt me? Shoot, I really wish I remembered so-and-so's wife's name.

But in the end, I'm happy with the journey and I'm happy with how far I've gotten. So I don't sweat it too much.

And if I were you, I would track down that person I moved to the other company. I would start on linkedin. I would congratulate them on the job. Then maybe a month or two later, I might give him a call. And I would be upfront with them, then I'm calling to see if we might be able to do some business together. Do you have time for some lunch?

And even if they tell me they aren't in a position to do business with me, the lunch offer stands.

Just last week I had lunch with a lady who had hired me at her two previous stops. She's not in a position to hire me at her current job, which ironically is okay because it's a former client of mine. The original owner sold and retired, and the new company brought in their own marketers. We had a nice lunch and her husband and two? kids are doing well. She likes her job and doesn't miss the old boss (who, ironically, also just recently retired after selling his company to a bigger organization. They kept me on for a few months.)

Small world. You never know what will happen next, so be respectful towards people.

Hope that helps.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
498%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

It is a fine line. I don’t ever buy things for customers. Some large companies have policies against it and it could create unwanted attention as much as I’d like to thank them with appropriate gifts like a nice gift card to go to dinner or something, I can’t.

Now, I will buy dinners with us, and take them golfing. Something we can do together is a camaraderie builder. We do that kind of stuff frequently.

I only see some of these folks once or twice a year. I like our time together to be one of their fun meetings that they’re not dreading.

I also am testing a theory as some of these kings of my industry begin retiring… I am hoping our relationship means they’d be willing to make a few phone calls a month and work for my company on a contract/consulting basis. Keep some play money coming in, or perhaps make more than they were for 1/10 the work if they really want to play ball.

I tend to keep in touch with all of them. Text them funny stuff sometimes. Help them get to know me and also find common grounds.

Last edited:

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Cancel anytime

$7 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 44% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Crush Goals: 30% Off GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Save the best: bookmark/archive ability
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • Crush Goals: 50% Off a GoalSumo.com Subscription

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.