The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

BAD advice you wish you did NOT hear

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 21, 2016
Which is my point, but when taken literally, it might not fit.

Billionaires get there because one of their ventures gives them the "f-you" money, or a pile of cash where new ventures are de-risked. Of course, this first venture might only be $1M, 10M, or 25M... the amount is irrelevant, what is relevant is that the sum of $$ changed their life.

The path to your first big pile of "life changing" cash happens with monogamy.

When that hurdle is surpassed, a lot of other opportunities open up.

You can become a billionaire with venture #4 or #6.
Or you can follow passions and write books, start a forum, and dabble in other spaces that won't make you a billionaire. LOL.
This is precisely how Mark Cuban did it and I'm a huge fan of this type of trajectory.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
This is precisely how Mark Cuban did it and I'm a huge fan of this type of trajectory.
Was about to cite Mark Cuban too. Elon Musk wasn’t running multiple companies before Paypal.

MichelleWood

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jun 28, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
"In life, you need to have balance."

“You can’t have a successful business without enough money to invest.”
Agree.

And agree.

Balance is B.S.! Balance is objective, it depends on your personal values, priorities, goals and personal satisfaction. I like working on my business, I like working on my investments, I like training. These activities take up the bulk of my day/week. Sometimes friends/family say 'you work too hard, you've gotta have balance blah blah.' These are the same folks who are broke. I have balance, I balance out the entrepreneurial stuff with the 4-8 luxury trips a year overseas!

As for having a successful business without enough money to invest, I've bootstrapped plenty of business ideas. If you're giving value, customers will pay handsomely and sometimes, if you're a good salesperson they'll pay upfront!

WORST advice I was given by a business coach: "Don't sell your business, it's established now running well, you have some systems in place, keep it as a 'cash cow' while doing other things".

This turned out to be dumb advice. Our plan was to build the business up:check:, buy a commercial premises:check:, customize the premises for the business:check:, then sell business and rent out the commercial premises to the new owner. We would benefit from income of a long term tenant plus the funds from the sale to invest in a Fastlane business, without the hassle of managing so many human resources. I listened to the business coach, BIG MISTAKE. The 'cash cow' takes up too much of my time for too little return. In the last 3 years turnover has dropped by 40% due to skilled labour shortages and employee attitudes a pain in the butt to manage. It would have been ideal time to sell when things were flying. I am now building the business up again with a goal to exit in about 3 years via the original plan.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.