Hey guys,
I started my Entrepreneurial journey a few years ago.
I had a mentor who owned 5 residential houses and we worked together for a year understanding the ins and outs. This brought me into a passive income mindset and I picked up a lot of his habits as he was my first mentor.
He was a money chaser. Hardcore. I wasn't comfortable chasing pure money but I thought that was what it took. He made 40 grand off Google but was banned because his scheme was not good. Yet he personally seems like a sincere guy, goes to church and everything. I've known him for 4 years now and I'm still unsure about whether he is good or bad.
We partnered on multiple business runs and they failed. He wanted to push for quick money and I wanted to establish a solid brand and give customers value. I wanted long, he wanted short. None of it worked.
I eventually moved to a big city, Nashville TN, and was suckered into an MLM with Amway. I immediately knew it was not right. Red flags flew off when they mentioned you don't make money from products and I told the guy, "Then why do I have to buy these crap products unless it puts money in your pocket" and it clicked. He basically got super angry and said that wasn't how it worked. I left in 2 weeks.
Then I went on to get a web design degree and use it on Affiliate marketing with a blog. That flopped. Then I tried to drop ship. Flop. I even looked at the China bullsh*t where people import useless crap. I tried Amazon FBA. Floppy, Flop. I had some connections and factory owners in China through networking, as well as a translator lined up and I was headed to The Canton Fair but I stopped myself.
Then I checked out Internet Marketing, Affiliate link blasts. It was people who had no idea or experience with any business model just blasting affiliate links.
I do believe there are some solid programs out there to learn from but all my knowledge has come from being sh*t on and nothing much to show.
I was laid off 7 months ago but luckily I had become pretty good at stock trading and laid back a nice nest egg. I've used this time to think and grow. I also was in the Army and Air Force part-time building my leadership and serving the community.
Recently I began writing for people. I wrote how I felt, my passions and all that stuff. It took off and I became a published writer fairly quickly.
I learned from all my failed businesses that I needed an email list, so I set that funnel up but I refused to spam affiliate crap.
Instead, my first email is a survey. It's a survey to see what people want to learn. I then cater my email directly to their needs.
I have had problems being selfish in the past but this new system I recently created I actually feel good about it. It's personal to me.
I declared I want to help people to achieve more freedom. I'm tired of seeing people unable to see their family due to a sh*t boss who says they can't. I was there.
I didn't get to see my mom for 3 years because of my job. It's awful. I want to kill this 9 to 5 crap. Remote work and autonomy are so prevalent now, why waste our lives in traffic.
Really I just want some sort of 3rd party perspective. I want to find a way to selflessly help people, feed them with the big spoon, and not just "try to make a million dollars."
I don't want to go down the wrong path anymore. I don't want to chase money. I want to add value to peoples lives.
What do I even need a million dollars for? I have my PC, my dog, my wife, I'm perfectly happy here but what about the people that aren't happy.
I just hope I'm going down the right path.
From a traveling, lost 24-year-olds mind,
Patrick Hughes
I started my Entrepreneurial journey a few years ago.
I had a mentor who owned 5 residential houses and we worked together for a year understanding the ins and outs. This brought me into a passive income mindset and I picked up a lot of his habits as he was my first mentor.
He was a money chaser. Hardcore. I wasn't comfortable chasing pure money but I thought that was what it took. He made 40 grand off Google but was banned because his scheme was not good. Yet he personally seems like a sincere guy, goes to church and everything. I've known him for 4 years now and I'm still unsure about whether he is good or bad.
We partnered on multiple business runs and they failed. He wanted to push for quick money and I wanted to establish a solid brand and give customers value. I wanted long, he wanted short. None of it worked.
I eventually moved to a big city, Nashville TN, and was suckered into an MLM with Amway. I immediately knew it was not right. Red flags flew off when they mentioned you don't make money from products and I told the guy, "Then why do I have to buy these crap products unless it puts money in your pocket" and it clicked. He basically got super angry and said that wasn't how it worked. I left in 2 weeks.
Then I went on to get a web design degree and use it on Affiliate marketing with a blog. That flopped. Then I tried to drop ship. Flop. I even looked at the China bullsh*t where people import useless crap. I tried Amazon FBA. Floppy, Flop. I had some connections and factory owners in China through networking, as well as a translator lined up and I was headed to The Canton Fair but I stopped myself.
Then I checked out Internet Marketing, Affiliate link blasts. It was people who had no idea or experience with any business model just blasting affiliate links.
I do believe there are some solid programs out there to learn from but all my knowledge has come from being sh*t on and nothing much to show.
I was laid off 7 months ago but luckily I had become pretty good at stock trading and laid back a nice nest egg. I've used this time to think and grow. I also was in the Army and Air Force part-time building my leadership and serving the community.
Recently I began writing for people. I wrote how I felt, my passions and all that stuff. It took off and I became a published writer fairly quickly.
I learned from all my failed businesses that I needed an email list, so I set that funnel up but I refused to spam affiliate crap.
Instead, my first email is a survey. It's a survey to see what people want to learn. I then cater my email directly to their needs.
I have had problems being selfish in the past but this new system I recently created I actually feel good about it. It's personal to me.
I declared I want to help people to achieve more freedom. I'm tired of seeing people unable to see their family due to a sh*t boss who says they can't. I was there.
I didn't get to see my mom for 3 years because of my job. It's awful. I want to kill this 9 to 5 crap. Remote work and autonomy are so prevalent now, why waste our lives in traffic.
Really I just want some sort of 3rd party perspective. I want to find a way to selflessly help people, feed them with the big spoon, and not just "try to make a million dollars."
I don't want to go down the wrong path anymore. I don't want to chase money. I want to add value to peoples lives.
What do I even need a million dollars for? I have my PC, my dog, my wife, I'm perfectly happy here but what about the people that aren't happy.
I just hope I'm going down the right path.
From a traveling, lost 24-year-olds mind,
Patrick Hughes
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
