What's new

Brandon from Indiana - My intro

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Brandon1981

New Contributor
Hey guys/gals!

Well, here goes. I'm Brandon from Indiana, 31, married, 1 kid, 1 on the way. College educated with 2 degrees, one in pro aviation, one in IT. Currently working in IT. I've been searching for a way to make a living, working for myself since I was about 20. Yes, the past 10 years, I've gone through idea after idea, without achieving the success I have strived for. I've been guilty of "idea-itis." I've always loved the idea of starting something new but I've been down so many paths in my life and tried so many things that I basically have gotten nowhere (financially that is, I'm super blessed with family). I go down paths, but run into snags, lose passion then try something else. Anyone else have this problem? :nonod:

Let me see if I can squeeze this all into one sentence. Starting from around the year 2000, I played D1 baseball for a year, quit, tried to sell stuff on ebay, started flying, decided I needed a backup plan in case flying didn't work out (sometimes pilots lose their medical), simultaneously pursued IT degree and aviation degree, learned some programming/web design, started numerous websites that never amounted to anything, signed up to sell some cheap long distance plans that flopped, got interested in real estate, bought/rehabbed 2 houses with my dad and his money, houses didn't profit much, became RE agent, became RE broker, let RE license expire, lost passion for real estate after RE market flopped, started baseball equipment review website, had some success with that ($200-1000/month income), became flight instructor, instructed for a few months before realizing I didn't want to fly for a living, started working for family's printing business, finally graduated college after 8 years of school, started a travel destination website, was recruited by Aflac agent, got insurance license, did the Aflac gig for a few months, hated it, quit, created an e-course about how to build a batting cage to sell on baseball website, it flopped, got a slightly higher paying job at a baking powder factory (hated it), got my first IT job shortly after, started a computer networking site with a colleague as a joint project, Panda/Penguin tanked my baseball site, I shut it down, as of a few days ago, my colleague and I parted ways on our networking site, here I am today.

My God. That is the first time I've really listed all of the crap I've gotten myself into that I haven't seen through to fruition. I just told my wife how embarrassing this posting is for me. The sad thing is there are still other things I could probably squeeze in there.

As you can tell I've struggled to stick with one thing in my life. I like starting new things...a little too much. I like the idea of the new venture...too much. Too much, to the point of diminishing return.

I guess looking back now, the biggest thing I can say is that I've learned a thing or two in all of these ventures of mine over the years. And as you can tell, squeezed in the middle of all that mess was a little business success...my baseball equipment review website. This was built using guidance from a product called Site Built It! by Ken Evoy, a very prominent figure in the "internet business" arena.

Started it back in March of 2007. After a year or so into it, I was earning anywhere from a couple hundred bucks to $1000 per month, depending on the time of year. Most of my income came from Adsense and affiliate sales from a popular baseball equipment retailer. It was during this time that I fell in love with the idea of making a living building/running websites and that has been my goal ever since. It's unfortunate that Google didn't think too much of my site. Their SE algorithm updates pretty much caused my traffic and therefore, income to plummet earlier this year. I decided to shut down the site as of this last summer and re-focus my efforts elsewhere.

Earlier this year, I started a blog called Passive Income Lifestyle (passiveincomelifestyle.com) to document my journey out of the rat race. I don't even really promote it, I just use it more as a journal and update it periodically as I learn new things. I also want to use it to inspire others as I write about my (eventual) successes. And of course, maybe earn a buck or two from it by then.

I also run another website about Traverse City, Michigan. This is a little site that I made about the city. I have relatives there and love the town. It started as a money making venture, but now has turned more into a hobby site. I plan on keeping it around but not for the main purpose of making money from it.

As I mentioned, I work in IT. Earlier this year a co-worker and I decided to start a site about computer networking. Although the site has potential, we've agreed to part ways on it right now because of various reasons.

Basically right now, I'm sitting with a blank slate, ready to start my next project. I'm in the middle of reading MJ's book right now, and if I would have had his book about 10 years ago, I think my life would look a little different now. Seriously, the advice in his book is probably the best I've ever received. The advice from his book is completing the puzzle of so many questions I've had over the years. It all makes perfect sense. The biggest lesson I think I've learned so far is about creating value. Over the years, I was never really interested in impacting anyone except me. For example, my baseball site earned a few bucks, but I wasn't building it for my visitors. I was building it for myself. If I didn't think an article could earn me money, I didn't write it, regardless of whether it would add to the overall perception of the site. Google got smarter, noticed my site wasn't visitor oriented and demoted me. Lesson...I wasn't creating value and I wasn't REALLY interested in helping anyone, except me.

I'm seeing things differently now. I'm scouring forums, I'm reading tweets, I'm trying to really get the feel for what people are saying. I'm trying to FIND THE PAIN.

Anyway, here are my plans as of now...

• Finish reading MJ's book and brainstorm ideas for my next project while doing so. Obviously, use the knowledge gained for inspiration for my next idea.
  • Research potential markets for various pain points and determine how I can use my skills/knowledge to solve their problems.
  • I would like to use the "content/computer systems" fastlane business seedlings to build a profitable website or blog.
  • I hold a few IT certifications and would like to use that knowledge to help others. Perhaps help others break into the IT industry.
  • Eventually sell that website and move onto the next venture.
  • Long-term, I see myself acquiring web properties, improving them, and reselling them for decent margins. Then rinsing and repeating. Sort of like "virtual real-estate investing."
  • I'm also extremely interested in programming, and would perhaps be interested in mobile app development at some point down the road.
  • Long, long-term, I have an interest in the invention of physical products, but would need to learn a few things before then.
I'm interested in starting small. Perhaps picking a small niche in IT, and building a website that will help people learn about a specific topic. And obviously, sticking to it until I give it a chance to succeed. Not flaking out on the project. Putting in the commitment and dedication. Discipline. I feel like I've been given a blank slate that I haven't had for a long time, and this excites the heck out of me. I feel like a bull ready to be cut loose out of the cage. (First time using that metaphor :)).

Anyway, that's where I'm at today. I'll wrap it up here for now. I'm considering starting a blog on this site to post updates to my progress as well. I look forward to getting to know all of you and wish you all the best of luck.:tiphat:

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Ximduni Csepfup, hmef vu jewi zua jisi! Tuapft moli zua xomm hiv e muv uav ug vji gusan epf cuul, muul gusxesf vu siefoph ecuav zuas qsuhsitt :Ximduni:

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Featured content

More Intros...

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom