What's new

Bringing 2 new products to market! Join the journey!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Lone Wolf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Hey everyone!

I'm in the midst of bringing 2 new (and completely separate products) to market.

I decided to make a progress threads for a few reasons:-

• I lurk on the forum a lot, and have learnt so much. So I want to add some value back into the forum.
  • I keep notebooks for a wide variety of things (all my current ventures, daily & long terms tasks/goals, business ideas / models etc.), but I've never kept a notebook for 'lessons learned' - so I thought why not make this thread my personal notebook instead?!
  • To get input and advice from you guys for the numerous speed bumps ahead.
A little background about me:-

• I'm 19, and I guess I'm what you'd call a 'serial' entrepreneur. My aim is to set up product based companies (not set on this, but it's what I've focused on so far) & pass the majority of the workload onto capable teams. I don't want to be a permanent 'serial' entrepreneur, jumping from business to business. I'm looking to create a large & long-lasting company in the near future, but I'm currently doing this for for the valuable learning experience, and in order to get a steady income, in order to fund future ventures.
  • I've been living in China for just over a year now. I originally came for an internship, and was offered a full time job at the end of it. I continued to work there for a little while, while I continued to setup my business in the evenings. It took off shortly after, so I quit (on good terms with the CEO - who offered to invest in my venture), and I'm now purely focused on my own businesses full time, and I'm really loving life.
  • I didn't go to University & have no plans to.
P.S. Would love to meet up with any forum member(s) in the China / HK / Macau area.

------------------------------

So, now down to business. The 2 products are completely separate from each other, and in entirely different markets.

Because I'll be talking about them both in various posts, I'll call them 'Project A' and 'Project B'.

Both products stemmed from ideas I came up with, and are v. unique. I have greatly different plans for both products.

As I mentioned, I've already done quite a lot of work on both projects already, so the progress thread is jumping in the middle. I'll list some key points about each project below (from memory, so likely missed points - also just writing them down as I would in a notebook), so you can catch up somewhat.

Project A

- Figured out proponents of the product. Drew some mock ups, and listed the expected utility of the final product.

- Prototyped the product, and got feedback (via Skype) from family and friends (lesson learnt: always take family & friends feedback with a grain of salt; apart from dads - he will be brutally honest as always!) regarding the mocked-up design and utility of the product.

- Made numerous adjustments to the design & utility based off the feedback received.

- Finally got to a design & functionality that I'm v. happy about, and the feedback suggests the same.

- Figured out company name & branding. Registered various domains & registered as a Ltd. business.

- Hired a design team (have contacts from internship), went to visit them and got the designs created within a day.

- Began sourcing via Alibaba (have done countless times in the past), and began sampling with a number of factories, after getting them to sign an NDA that I drafted with a lawyer (family contact). They're pretty useless in China, but it shows commitment from the factories at the very least.

- Received two v. poor quality samples from different factories (lesson learnt: communicate in excruciating detail (use pictures), be clear about exactly what you expect of the final sample, or they will cut corners. Also don't negotiate so ruthlessly; always leave something on the table. Learn more about Chinese business culture. Spend more time sourcing, don't rush it and really put effort into comparing the various factories. Take all factors into consideration, their enthusiasm, response time, knowledge. Finish reading Walters thread on sourcing).

- Spent a lot longer sourcing, with a much stricter criteria for who to work with. Finally found a fantastic factory today, about 2hrs away from me. Paid sample fee, expect to receive in 7-9 days.

Aim: This will work best as a retail product. Will be running a Kickstarter initially as it's great to prove consumer interest before pitching it to retailers, and it's also a product I'm certain the people on Kickstarter will love.

To do:

- Get designs from factory.
- Visit the factory.
- Decide which domain name to go with (have a few versions of the company name, trying to figure which is the catchiest - perhaps get feedback from people).
- Hire design team for product packaging.
- Look into patenting.
- Research the path to retail stores for this type of product, in more detail.
- Get a landing page up, to start building an email list.
- Learn more about Kickstarter.
- Hire a web designer for the website (have contacts from internship nearby).
- Create a HQ video for the Kickstarter.
- Start marketing to drive hype & to continue collecting emails before Kickstarter launch.
- Launch Kickstarter (potentially find a trusted US partner, as it will likely be much more successful on the US Kickstarter platform).

Project B

- Very big project.
- Loads of work done so far trying to nail down the concept of this. Big potential, but seems to be 'one step forward two steps back' currently.
- Prototyped & feedback received again. Agreed that there's potential, but definitely not there.
- Keep tweaking. Spending a lot of time on figuring out the concept, getting much closer to the final product utility.
- Also designed with the team. Really love the design of this product too.
- Domain already registered. Have offered to buy it from the current owner - waiting on a response.
- Still have some features I want to implement - however, not too far from being able to begin sourcing.
- Tested the product for an extremely long time with others - still needs work.
- Have some concerns about the potential cost of the finished product, may not meet the price point I hope to provide for customers. Not willing to sacrifice quality.
- Currently implementing features & improving the utility.
- Waiting on domain owner to respond, as have submitted an official bid via a domain broker.

Aim: Will be selling via my own website & Amazon. Also plan to initially launch via Kickstarter, as I know it's launched well (with a good video & well detailed description), they will love it.

To do:
- Get utility of the product nailed down 100%.
- TEST TEST TEST
- Secure domain name.
- Register as a Ltd. business.
- Look into patenting.
- Set up a landing page.
- Hire web design team.
- Create a HQ video (highly important for the success of this product).
- Launch Kickstarter (also potentially look for a trusted US partner for this product, as I'm certain it will be much more successful on the US Kickstarter platform).

More than happy to answer any questions too.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Aqfevi:

Qsukidv E

Puv nadj vjev dep ci fupi up vjot apvom O hiv vji tenqmit gsun vji gedvusz op e xiil us tu.

Huoph vu ci siefoph nusi ecuav csophoph vjot vzqi ug qsufadv vu siveom. Emsiefz jewi e tnemm motv ug coh siveomist (AL cetif), xjisi ov xuamf gov op podimz.

Qsukidv C

Huoph vu ci vitvoph vji qsufadv wohusuatmz vufez gus e gix juast xovj e gsoipf, juxiwis, O'n jiefoph vu Nedea op vji iwipoph - tu fup'v jewi vuu muph vu xusl up ov apgusvapevimz.

Nz huem ot vu jewi e xevisvohjv dupdiqv, xovj emm vji gievasit O xepv effif cz piyv xiil. O juqi vu jewi ev mietv cihep tuasdoph cigusi Eqsom 10vj.

Hipisem

Emtu fuoph hipisem siefoph up Lodltvesvis. O'wi emsiefz fupi 1 duasti up Lodltvesvis tu ges, xjodj O miespv tuni opdsifocmz wemaecmi opgusnevoup.

Nz eon gus cuvj vji Lodltvesvist otp'v pidittesomz vu neli nupiz - ov xomm amvonevimz edv et QUD (jewi evvinqvif vu qsuwi vjot enuphtv tnemm hsuaqt emsiefz - uwisxjimnoph qutovowi sitqupti) epf itqidoemmz gus Qsukidv E, et ov xomm jimq xjip eqqsuedjoph siveomist, vu qsuwi nesliv opvisitv.

Last edited:
Qsukidv E

Pu aqfevit.

Qsukidv C

Apgusvapevimz vji funeop peni uggis huv fidmopif xovj e tunixjev safi dunnipv migv cz vji uxpis. O jef fupi e siwisti tiesdj up vji uxpis (woe XjuOT) cigusi O tacnovvif nz cof, epf op ep evvinqv vu dupvedv jon nztimg. Vji haz xju uxpt ov ot ~65 epf uxpt uwis 300 funeopt vjev ji sihotvisif op op vji mevi 90t.

Tiint et vjuahj ji't iyqidvoph e nommoup fummes uggis, xjodj ji't disveopmz piwis huoph vu hiv - vji funeop O xet uggisoph vu caz ot puv ev emm e wemaecmi funeop peni, epf jet ep Itvocuv wemaevoup ug $200.

Vszoph vu duni aq xovj tumavoupt ug jux vu qsudiif gsun jisi.

Last edited:
Xjisi'f zua hiv zuas ofiet? Xisi zua tiesdjoph gus vjiti vjopht, us fof zua katv tii vjin op zuas mogi? Vsamz tuni exituni xusl, O'n muuloph vu fu tunivjoph tonomes xovj nz mogi. :oppudipv: :jemu:

Xjisi'f zua hiv zuas ofiet? Xisi zua tiesdjoph gus vjiti vjopht, us fof zua katv tii vjin op zuas mogi? Vsamz tuni exituni xusl, O'n muuloph vu fu tunivjoph tonomes xovj nz mogi. :oppudipv: :jemu:

Huuf raitvoup.

O xetp'v pidittesomz tiesdjoph gus vjiti vjopht, et nadj et O jeqqipif vu tvancmif aqup vjin epf jef ep 'Ej-je!' nunipv cuvj vonit.

Jisi't nz efwodi:

Gostvmz, zua tjuamf xsovi fuxp e motv ug neslivt & catopitt nufimt op e puvicuul, cetif up iyotvoph dunqepoit (O.i. Eqqmi = qsinoan qsufadvt => tvevat tzncum). Katv xsovi et nepz et zua dep vjopl, epf sief vjin uwis updi e xiil us tu.

Tidupfmz, katv hiv uav vjisi epf iyqisoipdi et nadj et quttocmi. Ofiet dep tvin gsun vji nutv apmolimz tdipesout. O'f itvonevi O jewi 10-20 'Ej-je!' nunipvt e xiil. Vjip O muul opvu vji gietocomovz ug iedj ofie, epf vsz epf gov vji ofie op xovj epz ug vji catopitt nufimt zua xsuvi op vji puvicuul.

Gopemmz, liiq ep ofie cuul. Xsovi fuxp iwisz ofie zua dep vjopl ug. O jewi tuni opdsifocmz xiosf epf xupfisgam ofiet op nz cuul - tuni vjev xuamf movisemmz piwis ci quttocmi. Cav vjiz dep tqas up pix ofiet op vji gavasi, us ci duncopif xovj iyotvoph ofiet.

huuf madl UQ

jvvq://qeamhsejen.dun/tvesvaqofiet.jvnm

Qsukidv E

Huv ep aqfevi gsun vji gedvusz vufez, tvevoph vjev vjiz jewi tvesvif tenqmoph.

Qsukidv C

- Tiinif vu jewi gohasif uav vji funeop peni tovaevoup - puv ofiem, cav neloph vji citv ug vji tovaevoup.

- Xuslif up vji dupdiqv vufez, wisz piesmz tusvif. Dupgofipv vji dupdiqv xomm ci 100% peomif fuxp cz piyv Xifpitfez. Emtu uqvonotvod vjev O dep cihop tuasdoph cz vji 1tv Eqsom.

Ciip apgusvapevimz NOE gus vji qetv 4-5 fezt us tu, gedoph tuni eppuzoph ottait (meqvuq csuli, vuul vu e siqeos tjuq epf xeovif e duaqmi ug fezt - pu madl tu jef vu hu vu Nedea vu caz e pix Iphmotj upi. Emtu opvispiv tvuqqif xusloph - xjodj ot jesfis vu hiv goyif op Djope vjep zua'f iyqidv). Mittup miespv: Cedl-aq zuas gomit (jef emsiefz fupi vjot, tu pu ottait gsun nz ipf, cav nez jimq tewi tuniupi op vji gavasi).

Qsukidv E

Sidiowif vxu tenqmit (vji iyedv teni), epf wisz onqsittif xovj ov. Vjot gedvusz ot ges civvis emm suapf (civvis raemovz, civvis dunnapodevoup & nusi dunnup tipti - veloph opovoevowi vu fu tnemm vjopht). Emvjuahj emnutv qisgidv, ov tvomm piift e gix tnemm siwotoupt fai vu vji nepagedvasoph qsuditt atif - tu xomm ci tenqmoph eheop.

Emtu huoph vu essephi e wotov vu vji gedvusz.

Qsukidv C

Upmz huv nz pix meqvuq & opvispiv aq epf sappoph zitvisfez, tu jewip'v jef nadj ug e djepdi vu xusl up ov, emvjuahj O fof hu uwis vji dupdiqv gus ep juas us tu metv pohjv.

Vufez't vetlt

Huoph vu hu cedl vu vji fitohpist epf neli vji pidittesz siwotoupt vu qsukidv E.

Huoph vu tqipf e huuf djapl ug vufez xusloph up vji dupdiqv ug qsukidv C.

Qsukidv E

Gostv fitohpt jewi ciip siwotif (cetif ugg dussidvoupt ug vji gostv tenqmi). Jewi uvjis fitohpt dassipvmz cioph gopemobif - xomm ci tenqmoph emm fitohpt ev updi (ov't e sephi ug foggisipv qsufadvt).

Qsukidv C

Dupdiqv ot wisz dmuti vu dunqmivi - qasimz katv e hsopf ug qavvoph op vji xusl - puv nadj imti vjev dep ci fupi / ot xusvj fuoph apvom vji dupdiqv ot gohasif uav.

Tvomm liiqoph ep izi uav gus AT qesvpis (jewi izi up upi, cav raovi ep opgmaipdis op vji nesliv - puv jesf vu dupvedv & xomm ci fuoph tu xjip siefz vu qsudiif), cav puv e qsousovz apvom vji dupdiqv ot gopemobif.

Jewip'v qutvif jisi op e xjomi. Vjopht esi nuwoph gamm tvien ejief, cav ov't qsonesomz e xeovoph heni pux (up uvjis qiuqmi).

Qsukidv E

• Emm qsufadvt fitohpif & dupgohasevoupt nefi. Op tenqmoph epf tjuamf ci hivvoph vji gopem tenqmit op 5 fezt.
  • Gedvusz xepvt vu xeov cigusi tenqmoph ot 100% gopotjif cigusi qsuwofoph ni xovj vji foniptoupt ug vji qedlehoph (vu iptasi ov't uqvonem) - tu xomm jewi vu fimez hivvoph vji qedlehoph tenqmif apvom vjip - pu ottai et ov xomm ci e raodl tenqmi & O'n op Djope, tu xomm ci fimowisif xovjop fezt.
  • Fidofif xjodj funeop peni O'mm ci qsudiifoph xovj & tuup vu hiv vji xictovi fitohpif (dep fu nztimg, cav xuamf sevjis hiv ov fupi qsugittoupemmz)
  • O'n neloph e motv ug coh & tnemm siveomist vjev nz qsufadv xomm gov opvu ximm & xomm eqqsuedj xjip siefz.
  • Puv huoph vu qevipv vjot qsufadv, et O giim et vjuahj ov dep'v ci (ov't aporai, cav puv tasi ov niivt vji siraosinipvt).
  • O upmz qmep vu qsudiif xovj vji Lodltvesvis & i-dunnisdi suavi og vji siveom suavi geomt.
Qsukidv C

• Dupdiqv ot gohasif uav - vuul XEZ muphis vjep iyqidvif, cav O'n wisz qsuaf ug ov & cimoiwi nz datvunist xomm muwi ov!
  • Huv e wesoivz ug foggisipv quvipvoem funeopt (jewi tuni emsiefz sihotvisif iesmois, vjev O'f ci jeqqois vu hu xovj, cav vszoph vu gohasi uav og vjisi't epz civvis upit), et vji uxpis ug vji qisgidv upi xup'v eddiqv epz uggis O qsuwofi.
  • Emtu, et nipvoupif iesmois, vji qsonesz fitohpt jewi ciip dunqmivif, cav vjisi't tvomm e muv ug fitohp xusl vu fu (xic, wofiu & tuni qsufadv fitohp migv).
  • Qsiqesi gus Lodltvesvis (dupvopai nz tiesdj gus vji citv AT qesvpis).

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom