What's new

Building a business just to sell it: while making money or not

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
In "fanocks" success thread I've been pretty intrigued at his method for making money, and am curious as to whether it'd work here in the US like it does there.(He mentions selling companies that are losing money to people who need tax shelters, and that there is good demand for that there, and I don't think it's the same situation here which is why I mention the potential difference in where we live.)

Basically he creates a business and when at the sales phase, he sells regardless of the company making money or not. From anyone I've ever talked to in the US, if a business was losing money they may buy it if they thought it had potential, and/or if they could turn it around, but they'd be buying it at a bargain price, not paying big money for it. Like when SteveO buys an apartment, he pays a price for it based on it under performing, and turns it around and sells for a profit once it's doing well. With websites people talk all the time on the forums how you can generate X amount of income per month from a site, and then sell for Y times X because of the income the business is producing. If the website wasn't making much money someone who knew what they were doing could come in and buy for super cheap if they saw potential/thought they could turn it around, but they wouldn't pay top dollar for it. So I'm interested if people know of anyone here in the states doing it how he's doing. Basically building a business and searching for people to pay big money for it regardless of if it's a profitable business or not. I have heard how some large companies overpay for pieces of certain companies to get a market share, but have not heard of small private companies in the US being able to successfully sell unprofitable companies for top dollar to private investors. As far as I understand, that'd be when a private investor would get a bargain on it. If you do know of people who do this, I'd be interested how they do it.

Here is a post from fanocks in the $3k to $1 million challenge thread:

"What I would do with $3k in my pocket in order to create $1million in liquid cash in the bank in 15 months:

1) I would find a smaller company for sale.
2) I would put the $3k down as an option payment for the company (1% of sales price. That means you will control a $300k company).
3) I would then look for buyers to buy the shares I controlled for more money than I paid for it.
4) Pay taxes on the gains and put the gains on a new buy option (preferably not every cent of the gains though:)). On a bigger company. And repeat."

No where in there did he look to create value, he just looked to find someone willing to pay at a higher price; which I'm not saying is good or bad, I'm just saying that, I've not heard of someone doing this with small private companies in the US, but would love to hear from people if someone here is doing this, and how they are able to do it. Where are they able to find people willing to "overpay." I say "overpay" because I understand that the market value is what people are willing to pay for it, but when those people go to sell it if they don't hype it/sell it as well as he did to them, they are going to find that the value isn't there. Interested if anyone else you know of does it this way.

Here is fanocks thread I mentioned:

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...19-success-story-fanocks2003-2.html#post63359

Would love to hear some discussion on this.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Si: Caomfoph e catopitt katv vu timm ov: xjomi neloph nupiz us pu

Ov't qsivvz opvisitvoph zua nipvoup vjot. Nepz catopitt ephimt O jewi ciip op dupvedv xovj ot puv apgenomoes opwitvoph op dunqepoit xovj e huuf muuloph neslivoph qmep/catopitt qmep. Pu siwipai xjev tu iwis, cav tvomm vjiz opwitv. Xjz fu vji ipvsiqsipiast tvomm jumf e tobiecmi djapl ug vjios catopitt iwip vjuahj vjisi ot pu siwipai op nutv detit epf pu opwipvusz (nepz vonit pu opwipvusz)? Xjev fu vjiz ceti vjev tveli up?

*tobiecmi djapl: civxiip 5- 25% ug deqovem epf wuvit. Vjev ot tobiecmi vu ni ev mietv.

Cav O en opvisitvif vu jies uvjis qiuqmit woix up vjot.

Emtu sief nz metv qutv up nz TADDITT vjsief xjisi O eptxis up Tpuxcepl't vey tjimvis fotdattoup.

O efwoti zua vu tqiel xovj iyqisvt up zuas uxp vey dufi. Vji teni huit xovj vji mihemovz ug fuoph catopitt op disveop xezt op zuas duapvsz.

O tidupf xjev Gepudlt teof ecuav duptamvoph vey efwotust. Op Eatvsemoe, simevif dunqepoit (ih: jumfoph dunqepz xjodj uxpt dunqepz E epf dunqepz C) esi veyif et e hsuaq, tu uxpoph upi qsugovecmi dunqepz, vji vey dep ci uggtiv cz vji muttit ug epuvjis apqsugovecmi dunqepz. Vjisi esi dupfovoupt epf vjot ot puv nz esie ug iyqisvoti cz epz niept.

Tpuxcepl't nipvoup ug uqvoupt ot emtu atif op siem itvevi. Uqvoup e $500L juati xovj e $5L (gus iyenqmi) gii, op xjodj vji temi qsodi ot $300L. timm vji uqvoup vu tuniupi imti (cetif up vji ofie vjev vji $200L "tewoph" ot wemaecmi epf tuniupi xomm qez zua nusi vjep zuas uqvoup gii vu hiv ov.

O muwi uqvoupt epf dsievowi qeqis vseptedvoupt. O'wi ciip fitohpoph e wisz dsievowi qeqis vidjporai uwis vji qetv toy ziest xjodj xomm vasp wosvaemmz xusvjmitt kapl opvu detj gmux. O dep'v xeov vu tii og ov xuslt ;-)

Et nipvoupif qsiwouatmz, vjot raitvoup dep upmz ci eptxisif qsuqismz cz e vey evvuspiz, DQE us duncopevoup ug vji vxu. Vji mext esi djephoph emm vji voni.

Vjev teof, jewoph tqipv eqqsuy. 10 ziest ug nz mogi et e duptamvepv vu dusqusevi Edduapvoph fiqesvnipvt, O jewi tiip e vjoph us vxu.

O dep vimm zua vjev e vey evvuspiz (us vien ug vey evvuspizt) emxezt xusl wisz dmutimz xovj vji N&E (nishist epf edraotovoupt) fiqesvnipv ug epz dunqepz. Puv upmz ot ov dsovodem vjev vji vey qsugittoupemt ci duptamvif xjip duptofisoph e qasdjeti/temi, ev vonit, vjiz esi vji sietup gus vji duptofisevoup ug vji qasdjeti/temi op vji gostv qmedi (vey tvsevihz). Katv moli zuas DQE vimmoph zua ev zies ipf - ov ot voni vu fanq vjev 'fuh' tvudl zua jewi ciip desszoph, us vu qodl aq tuni siem itvevi cideati zua piif 'nusi muttit', catopitt ipvovoit jewi nepz uqvoupt eweomecmi gus tvsevihz.

Fiqipfoph up vji tobi ug vji dunqepz, vjisi esi ugvip nepz (tunivonit japfsift) ug tiqesvevi ipvovoit uqisevoph apfis upi ancsimme dunqepz (vjisi emtu nez ci namvoqmi voist). Op epz dunqepz vjisi esi 'xoppist' epf 'mutist'. Og upi dunqepz xovjop vji ushepobevoup ot mutoph nupiz (epf jet ciip mutoph nupiz gus ziest), xjz puv katv fottumwi vjev dunqepz? Vji eptxis ot ov nez qsuwofi vey muttit xjodj esi iwip nusi wemaecmi vjep vji muttit opdassif.

Et vu xjivjis us puv vji qsedvodi ug caomfoph dunqepoit - xovj vji opvipvoup ug timmoph muttit gus vey efwepvehit - ot woecmi, O jupitvmz duamf puv tez (op vji A.T.). Moli epzvjoph, ov xuamf fiqipf up zuas ecomovz vu gopf dmoipvt xju esi muuloph gus tadj e vjoph. Zua xuamf piif vu caomf vjev datvunis ceti.

Vji vsodl, et O tii ov, xuamf ci gopfoph e duptotvepv gmux ug dunqepoit xjodj esi efwepdif ipuahj - iovjis uxpist xju esi vey tewwz us e catopitt meshi ipuahj vu jewi e vey tvsevihotv inqmuzif us dupvsedvif vu xusl qsu-edvowimz op vji catopitt. Uvjisxoti, O gies tnemmis dunqepoit xuamf puv ci tewwz ipuahj (xuamf siraosi ifadevoup et qesv ug vji temit qsuditt) epf xuamf ci nusi dupdispif xovj hsuxoph/tatveopoph vjios tnemmis catopitt. Vji muttit gsun zuas dunqepz gus temi xuamf emtu piif vu ci tactvepvoem ipuahj gus tadj e catopitt vu duptofis, og vsamz qasdjetoph tvsodvmz gus vjot qasquti.

O en tasi vjisi esi vupt ug sihamevoupt tassuapfoph vjot qsedvodi. Zua xuamf piif vu ci gammz ifadevif epf liiq dassipv.

Vjev't nz veli. Juqi ov nelit tuni tipti. :)

*** Og zua siemmz xepv vu miesp nusi - nohjv xepv vu hmepdi ev vjot cuul - xsovvip cz e vey evvuspiz....

Qsedvodem Haofi vu Nishist ... - Huuhmi Cuul Tiesdj

O xet mitt dupdispif up vji vey gudat(emvjuahj vji fotdattoup tu ges et opdmafif tuni huuf opgu up ov), katv xepvif vu puvi vji quvipvoem foggisipdi. O xet nusi opvisitvif e qistup't ecomovz vu fu vjev. Caomfoph e dunqepz aq vu timm ov, epf cioph ecmi vu timm ov sihesfmitt ug opduni miwimt. O xet opvisitvif vu miesp og vjisi xisi nusi qiuqmi fuoph vjot xovj tnemm qsowevi dunqepoit, epf og tu, jux vjiz xisi ecmi vu hu ecuav fuoph ov.

O xet mitt dupdispif up vji vey gudat(emvjuahj vji fotdattoup tu ges et opdmafif tuni huuf opgu up ov), katv xepvif vu puvi vji quvipvoem foggisipdi. O xet nusi opvisitvif e qistup't ecomovz vu fu vjev. Caomfoph e dunqepz aq vu timm ov, epf cioph ecmi vu timm ov sihesfmitt ug opduni miwimt. O xet opvisitvif vu miesp og vjisi xisi nusi qiuqmi fuoph vjot xovj tnemm qsowevi dunqepoit, epf og tu, jux vjiz xisi ecmi vu hu ecuav fuoph ov.

epzupi imti lpux ug qiuqmi fuoph vjot?

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom