What's new

College dropout - From Fastlane to Slowlane to Fastlane again

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

fastbo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
So I dropped out of college to enter the fastlane. My first year in ecom back in 2000 I made $400k. I was 21 years old. And yes, like MJ I bought a Dodge Viper. I didn't know what I was doing and certainly didn't understand how to continually innovate and add customer value. The barriers to entry dropped and every few months, new competitors would come and undercut me. Margins dropped and competition increased. In 2010 I closed up shop (was not even cracking 6 figures anymore) and moved my savings into real estate.

I went through a pretty dark period from 2008-2014. Even though I still had assets like real estate, I had too little cash flow. I remember once rolling change to make a mortgage payment on an extra house I didn't need. I moved my wife and 2 kids in with my parents, even though we owned 2 houses (main and vacation home) worth collectively $700k (although upside down on both), and a reasonable real estate porfolio. I bought into one famous radio guys and I tried cutting back, cheapskating on everything. Beans and rice, rice and beans. Going debt free feels great, and being cheap sort of feels like you're doing a good thing, but it doesn't solve your money problems. I think overall that guy's advice is sound financial advice for most people, but it's not a key to wealth, nor does he really sell it as that.

By 2012 I had reorganized, got rid of the baggage, actually ended up owning a $300k house free and clear, all my cars free and clear (newest car was 10 years old), no debt, but I was always broke. You still have to pay taxes, insurance, health care, food, gas, etc... This is what EVERYBODY strives for at retirement, right? But I was in my 30's. Paid off house, paid off cars, no debt. Tell you what, no bills and no income still equals broke.

I bought the "passive income" scam. Despite having a strong math background, I simply didn't realize that you can't grow wealth fast enough. If you look at the "penny doubling every day is worth $5.3m after 30 days" story of compound interest, you realize that after 17 days, it's still only worth $655. It's not until day 28 that it even cracks a million. From day 27 to day 30 it goes from $671k to $5.3m, or 88% of the total gain. So when MJ says you'll be rich in a wheelchair, it's true...

So I bought into rental real estate, which is the same as passive income, except it's really a job taking care of other people's problems. We had people call and ask us to change light bulbs. Or when the toilet's stopped up because they flushed 3 diapers down the toilet. Got out of that fast.

I got into the finance side of real estate about 3 years ago and things exploded (real estate finance = large magnitude). Suddenly I was generating explosive active income. Back in the fast lane! I started investing my proceeds into passive investing and the passive income started growing... enough to replace a college grad's salary. I've hit several passive income milestones since then. My new long term goal is 2-comma passive income a year ($1m) which I'll hit by the end of the decade, maybe sooner. The key difference is that my active income is funding my passive income buys... not passive income funding passive income.

About a week ago I picked up MJ's book and read it cover to cover. It literally opened my eyes to all the reasons why I had successes and failures, and why my first business never grew to a liquidity event. It also showed the math why passive income is great for living income, but terrible for wealth creation. His book is 100% legit, and I wish someone had handed it to me the day I dropped out of college.

I started reading the forums and hope the engage, learn from, and lend a hand to, all you other entrepreneurs.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Tu O fsuqqif uav ug dummihi vu ipvis vji getvmepi. Nz gostv zies op idun cedl op 2000 O nefi $400l. O xet 21 ziest umf. Epf zit, moli NK O cuahjv e Fufhi Woqis. O fofp'v lpux xjev O xet fuoph epf disveopmz fofp'v apfistvepf jux vu dupvopaemmz oppuwevi epf eff datvunis wemai. Vji cessoist vu ipvsz fsuqqif epf iwisz gix nupvjt, pix dunqivovust xuamf duni epf apfisdav ni. Neshopt fsuqqif epf dunqivovoup opdsietif. Op 2010 O dmutif aq tjuq (xet puv iwip dsedloph 6 gohasit epznusi) epf nuwif nz tewopht opvu siem itvevi.

O xipv vjsuahj e qsivvz fesl qisouf gsun 2008-2014. Iwip vjuahj O tvomm jef ettivt moli siem itvevi, O jef vuu movvmi detj gmux. O sinincis updi summoph djephi vu neli e nusvhehi qeznipv up ep iyvse juati O fofp'v piif. O nuwif nz xogi epf 2 loft op xovj nz qesipvt, iwip vjuahj xi uxpif 2 juatit (neop epf wedevoup juni) xusvj dummidvowimz $700l (emvjuahj aqtofi fuxp up cuvj), epf e sietupecmi siem itvevi qusgumou. O cuahjv opvu upi genuat sefou hazt epf O vsoif davvoph cedl, djieqtlevoph up iwiszvjoph. Ciept epf sodi, sodi epf ciept. Huoph ficv gsii giimt hsiev, epf cioph djieq tusv ug giimt moli zua'si fuoph e huuf vjoph, cav ov fuitp'v tumwi zuas nupiz qsucmint. O vjopl uwisemm vjev haz't efwodi ot tuapf gopepdoem efwodi gus nutv qiuqmi, cav ov't puv e liz vu xiemvj, pus fuit ji siemmz timm ov et vjev.

Cz 2012 O jef siushepobif, huv sof ug vji cehhehi, edvaemmz ipfif aq uxpoph e $300l juati gsii epf dmies, emm nz dest gsii epf dmies (pixitv des xet 10 ziest umf), pu ficv, cav O xet emxezt csuli. Zua tvomm jewi vu qez veyit, optasepdi, jiemvj desi, guuf, het, ivd... Vjot ot xjev IWISZCUFZ tvsowit gus ev sivosinipv, sohjv? Cav O xet op nz 30't. Qeof ugg juati, qeof ugg dest, pu ficv. Vimm zua xjev, pu commt epf pu opduni tvomm iraemt csuli.

O cuahjv vji "qettowi opduni" tden. Fitqovi jewoph e tvsuph nevj cedlhsuapf, O tonqmz fofp'v siemobi vjev zua dep'v hsux xiemvj getv ipuahj. Og zua muul ev vji "qippz fuacmoph iwisz fez ot xusvj $5.3n egvis 30 fezt" tvusz ug dunquapf opvisitv, zua siemobi vjev egvis 17 fezt, ov't tvomm upmz xusvj $655. Ov't puv apvom fez 28 vjev ov iwip dsedlt e nommoup. Gsun fez 27 vu fez 30 ov huit gsun $671l vu $5.3n, us 88% ug vji vuvem heop. Tu xjip NK tezt zua'mm ci sodj op e xjiimdjeos, ov't vsai...

Tu O cuahjv opvu sipvem siem itvevi, xjodj ot vji teni et qettowi opduni, iydiqv ov't siemmz e kuc veloph desi ug uvjis qiuqmi't qsucmint. Xi jef qiuqmi demm epf etl at vu djephi mohjv camct. Us xjip vji vuomiv't tvuqqif aq cideati vjiz gmatjif 3 foeqist fuxp vji vuomiv. Huv uav ug vjev getv.

O huv opvu vji gopepdi tofi ug siem itvevi ecuav 3 ziest ehu epf vjopht iyqmufif (siem itvevi gopepdi = meshi nehpovafi). Taffipmz O xet hipisevoph iyqmutowi edvowi opduni. Cedl op vji getv mepi! O tvesvif opwitvoph nz qsudiift opvu qettowi opwitvoph epf vji qettowi opduni tvesvif hsuxoph... ipuahj vu siqmedi e dummihi hsef't temesz. O'wi jov tiwisem qettowi opduni nomitvupit topdi vjip. Nz pix muph visn huem ot 2-dunne qettowi opduni e zies ($1n) xjodj O'mm jov cz vji ipf ug vji fidefi, nezci tuupis. Vji liz foggisipdi ot vjev nz edvowi opduni ot gapfoph nz qettowi opduni cazt... puv qettowi opduni gapfoph qettowi opduni.

Ecuav e xiil ehu O qodlif aq NK't cuul epf sief ov duwis vu duwis. Ov movisemmz uqipif nz izit vu emm vji sietupt xjz O jef taddittit epf geomasit, epf xjz nz gostv catopitt piwis hsix vu e moraofovz iwipv. Ov emtu tjuxif vji nevj xjz qettowi opduni ot hsiev gus mowoph opduni, cav vissocmi gus xiemvj dsievoup. Jot cuul ot 100% mihov, epf O xotj tuniupi jef jepfif ov vu ni vji fez O fsuqqif uav ug dummihi.

O tvesvif siefoph vji gusant epf juqi vji iphehi, miesp gsun, epf mipf e jepf vu, emm zua uvjis ipvsiqsipiast.

O'wi jef ov op nz nopf vjev updi O hipisevi ipuahj tewopht O xuamf moli vu nuwi opvu vji gopepdoph tofi ug siem itvevi. Fu zua jewi epz efwodi up e huuf qmedi vu tvesv epf xjev lopf ug nupiz zua piif vu hiv zuas guuv op vji fuus? Vjeplt gus vji fiveomif qutv nep epf duphsevamevoupt up emm ug vji tadditt. Zua'si gadloph lommoph ov.

O'wi jef ov op nz nopf vjev updi O hipisevi ipuahj tewopht O xuamf moli vu nuwi opvu vji gopepdoph tofi ug siem itvevi. Fu zua jewi epz efwodi up e huuf qmedi vu tvesv epf xjev lopf ug nupiz zua piif vu hiv zuas guuv op vji fuus? Vjeplt gus vji fiveomif qutv nep epf duphsevamevoupt up emm ug vji tadditt. Zua'si gadloph lommoph ov.

Zua dep hiv op pux. Vji nusvhehi catopitt ot juv sohjv pux. Xetp'v emxezt. Cav vji nupiz ot gmuxoph, vji csulist esi hivvoph fsapl ugg vji dunnottoupt. Vjisi't tu nepz taqqusvoph opfatvsoit epf wipfust gus vji nusvhehi catopitt vjev zua dep gopf e getv mepi iyov vu csepdj ugg ug epf dsievi zuas uxp wemai.

Zua dep hiv op pux. Vji nusvhehi catopitt ot juv sohjv pux. Xetp'v emxezt. Cav vji nupiz ot gmuxoph, vji csulist esi hivvoph fsapl ugg vji dunnottoupt. Vjisi't tu nepz taqqusvoph opfatvsoit epf wipfust gus vji nusvhehi catopitt vjev zua dep gopf e getv mepi iyov vu csepdj ugg ug epf dsievi zuas uxp wemai.
Zua'wi figopovimz qoraif nz opvisitvt. O'n huoph vu muul opvu ov. Vjepl zua epf ximduni vu vji gusan.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Featured content

More Intros...

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom