I need some advice.
I cofounded a consulting company. I am the sales and back-office guy and my cofounder is delivering the consulting services. We're about 4 months in and have billed about $80k so far. I'm moonlighting and my cofounder is full-time on our company. 2 of our customers have brought us problems that we could solve by building a software application. There's totally a path to a business here as this software application could be sold to lots of different companies. However, we don't have the funds to cover the development costs. Our customers can fund the software development. However, IP ownership seems a bit tricky there... we were hired as consultants and technically anything we develop for them, they own. Both customers seem interested in the idea of building the software and reselling it to other companies - they want a piece of the action there. Our customers are not software savvy. My cofounder and I are. Anyone have any recommendations on how they would structure this? Or what they would pitch to these customers?
I cofounded a consulting company. I am the sales and back-office guy and my cofounder is delivering the consulting services. We're about 4 months in and have billed about $80k so far. I'm moonlighting and my cofounder is full-time on our company. 2 of our customers have brought us problems that we could solve by building a software application. There's totally a path to a business here as this software application could be sold to lots of different companies. However, we don't have the funds to cover the development costs. Our customers can fund the software development. However, IP ownership seems a bit tricky there... we were hired as consultants and technically anything we develop for them, they own. Both customers seem interested in the idea of building the software and reselling it to other companies - they want a piece of the action there. Our customers are not software savvy. My cofounder and I are. Anyone have any recommendations on how they would structure this? Or what they would pitch to these customers?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
