The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Comparing 3 income sources and a plan forward

Feedback

Dufresne85

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Nov 3, 2021
I'm looking for insights here from experienced entrepreneurs.

I realized the following when comparing the income from:

- random upwork projects
- full-time job
- side-projects

The random upwork projects 'hurts' the most - yes its quick money, but feels time consuming and barely 'worth it' - they feel most like a job compared to my full time job.

The full time job 'hurts' less, as in more time to deliver work. The pain is not as noticeable, because suddenly a 'large' income is given at the end of the month. If this income would be paid out daily - it would be more painful, because you get more aware of the time you put in and the income that provides.

Side-projects, these 'hurt' in the way that there is not always an income, but when it comes - its the sweetest income of all. The projects run on themselves and can generate more, if more is spent in advertising/marketing.

According to chatgpt - the plan should be the following.
Can't say I disagree completely, but I am afraid its playing it too safe?
How do you think this plan should look like going forward aiming for maximum income?
Should upwork and my full-time job be stopped and should I actually look at freelancing full-time and building automated sideprojects (I thought that should be my logical next step)?

Example Plan​

1. Full-Time Job:
    • Continue as the primary income source.
    • Monitor job satisfaction and burnout levels.
  2. Upwork Projects:
    • Take on high-value projects selectively.
    • Avoid low-value, high-effort projects.
  3. Side Projects:
    • Allocate specific hours each week.
    • Invest in learning and improving skills related to these projects.
    • Gradually increase marketing and automation efforts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cmh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Feb 2, 2024
Texas
I'm looking for insights here from experienced entrepreneurs.

I realized the following when comparing the income from:

- random upwork projects
- full-time job
- side-projects

The random upwork projects 'hurts' the most - yes its quick money, but feels time consuming and barely 'worth it' - they feel most like a job compared to my full time job.

The full time job 'hurts' less, as in more time to deliver work. The pain is not as noticeable, because suddenly a 'large' income is given at the end of the month. If this income would be paid out daily - it would be more painful, because you get more aware of the time you put in and the income that provides.

Side-projects, these 'hurt' in the way that there is not always an income, but when it comes - its the sweetest income of all. The projects run on themselves and can generate more, if more is spent in advertising/marketing.

According to chatgpt - the plan should be the following.
Can't say I disagree completely, but I am afraid its playing it too safe?
How do you think this plan should look like going forward aiming for maximum income?
Should upwork and my full-time job be stopped and should I actually look at freelancing full-time and building automated sideprojects (I thought that should be my logical next step)?

Example Plan​

1. Full-Time Job:
    • Continue as the primary income source.
    • Monitor job satisfaction and burnout levels.
  2. Upwork Projects:
    • Take on high-value projects selectively.
    • Avoid low-value, high-effort projects.
  3. Side Projects:
    • Allocate specific hours each week.
    • Invest in learning and improving skills related to these projects.
    • Gradually increase marketing and automation efforts.
What is your industry? What are these side projects in general?

The ChatGPT plan is a joke IMO, it basically is telling you to do what you are already doing. I did the same thing as you seven years ago -- I went through all 4 of my income sources to figure out which ones were the most promising. That was before I knew CENTS, but I came close. The key thing I did, though, was to totally stop 1 of my activities, and severely curtail the other.

The question for you is, what are you trying to do here? If you are trying to build a B2B company, then UpWork is good. Make sure you are well-branded, and you'll slowly accumulate clients that use you "IRL". If your job is to make self-running side projects (presumably SaaS?), then do that. IOW, I'd put either #2 or #3 on the back burner.

UNLESS, #2 or #3 already provides a living income. In that case, ditch #1 for max time savings.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.