The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does taking commerce stream help in being an entrepreneur?

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
First of all, I know formal education doesnt really matter in being an entrepreneur. But I gotta complete my highschool.

So here in India , after completing grade 10th, one has to choose between 3 streams(set of subjects)- science, commerce and arts.

Science has subjects like maths, physics, chemistry, biology, CS etc
Commerce has subjects like accountancy, economics, business studies and other optionals.

Will these subject like accountancy, economics, business studies etc help me in the future? I am not asking if they will make me a successful entrepreneur, it will depend on my hardwork. But do they at least give me a good ROI for the time that I will spend studying for these years?

Plus - I am 90% sure I will be taking commerce. But I just want some advice from people who know more than me. I really dont want to end up regretting 2 years of studying subjects that has no impact on my life...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FreakyThomas

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, France
I honestly don't think it will make a difference in your fastlane endeavor. Even arts could help, because of course you need creativity to become an entrepreneur. Science is beneficial for mental models. And economics makes sense. So I think you should choose with different parameters in mind. Best thing that would help to become an entrepreneur is to actually start right now, before you're ready, even if you're still in school. It's ok if it's not a big startup. Just try to solve a problem you face.

matteblack

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 1, 2023
India
First of all, I know formal education doesnt really matter in being an entrepreneur. But I gotta complete my highschool.

So here in India , after completing grade 10th, one has to choose between 3 streams(set of subjects)- science, commerce and arts.
I was a commerce student now doing bba
12th result- 80%
Current uni - NEHU

do not mistake I did
Took commerce because my friends were taking it.
But in order to help you in any can you tell me what skill and business you like or want to create
Plus additional tips
Study like your life depends on it truly not kidding ( I didn't it is my regret )
Especially for entrance exams
College matters because in us uni is expensive but not so much in India so college roi is high
and start getting courses or skills and dont be afraid to spend money for that get skills which pay I am doing that now and will continue even after uni

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Last edited:

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
ignore

Last edited:

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
I was a commerce student now doing bba
12th result- 80%
Current uni - NEHU

do not mistake I did
Took commerce because my friends were taking it.
But in order to help you in any can you tell me what skill and business you like or want to create
Plus additional tips
Study like your life depends on it truly not kidding ( I didn't it is my regret )
Especially for entrance exams
College matters because in us uni is expensive but not so much in India so college roi is high
and start getting courses or skills and dont be afraid to spend money for that get skills which pay I am doing that now and will continue even after uni

Damn since you are a commerce student you would know the reality. So a couple of questions - do you think commerce subjects actually help one in building a business? Like does it give you the skills to start a startup? Is 11, 12 studies easer as compared to science ? Plus what exactly is taught in business studies and bba? Is it worth it?

matteblack

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 1, 2023
India
Damn since you are a commerce student you would know the reality. So a couple of questions - do you think commerce subjects actually help one in building a business? Like does it give you the skills to start a startup? Is 11, 12 studies easer as compared to science ? Plus what exactly is taught in business studies and bba? Is it worth it?
Accountancy can help a little bit but other subjects (maths,ba,eco)are unnecessary
Only subject from school that may help big time is computer science condition that you studied extra curricular plus worked hard and courses (software business)
Only thing school truly gives is marks which may or may not help in joining college (value of marks depends if there is entrance exam or not)

More so as mj says education starts at graduation
/ college abd school don't teach how to run a business
Business studies is bs and so is bba and bcom especially if not from good college but overall they are still bs
Then why am I doing bba
One word answer - parents
Have to show society( slowlaners) that I am doing
sonething

matteblack

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 1, 2023
India
Science vs commerce which is easier?
- depends on your
Caliber
Work / study time
Discipline
and which subjects you like
Dont decide by watching Ashish chanchlani's
spoof video (dont do that please)(I did )

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
They all have their usefulness. Math and science can teach you how to think in a clear and logical way, business can teach you different aspects that are involved with a business, art can teach abstract thought. Honestly, MJs books are far better than anything I ever learned in business school.

uhhfeef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 17, 2022
In my opinion science will give you a better ROI. I hated every second of it but it's saving my a$$ currently. I don't have many friends that took commerce but the ones that did, switched to CS at a later point so I may be biased.

Once you do learn CS you can start freelancing as a side thing even while at school/university. Alot of my college mates did that and ended up earning enough to pay their rents. Not sure if you can do that with other courses.

Not only that you can build a portfolio of projects by solving simple problems using code and get hired or use your expertise to build a solution for people to use and build your fastlane life. In either case, it's good money.

At the end of the day, it's your decision. You decide what's best for you. Whatever you do end up taking, just make sure you give 1000% into, make good friends and don't get distracted like the rest of the crowd there.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
In my opinion science will give you a better ROI. I hated every second of it but it's saving my a$$ currently. I don't have many friends that took commerce but the ones that did, switched to CS at a later point so I may be biased.

Once you do learn CS you can start freelancing as a side thing even while at school/university. Alot of my college mates did that and ended up earning enough to pay their rents. Not sure if you can do that with other courses.

Not only that you can build a portfolio of projects by solving simple problems using code and get hired or use your expertise to build a solution for people to use and build your fastlane life. In either case, it's good money.

At the end of the day, it's your decision. You decide what's best for you. Whatever you do end up taking, just make sure you give 1000% into, make good friends and don't get distracted like the rest of the crowd there.
Thanks for the detailed comment. I don't like chemistry and physics but here in India to get a computer science (btech) one must have taken Physics, chemistry and maths. I can take maths with commerce but I wouldn't be able to take the degree in cs with that. Maybe I would have to study chem and phy that I dont like just because of the bad system. It is what it is.

ronit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 26, 2023
Thanks for the detailed comment. I don't like chemistry and physics but here in India to get a computer science (btech) one must have taken Physics, chemistry and maths. I can take maths with commerce but I wouldn't be able to take the degree in cs with that. Maybe I would have to study chem and phy that I dont like just because of the bad system. It is what it is.
Bro chemistry and physics are easy bro get a tutor for it
I studied from akash for jee and i regret taking computer science now i am doing electronics at the end of this 4th year ,evry things starts to fall into place if u have taken cs
If u gona take commerce than go for it if you like but the thing that really matters is you gota improve your skills in the internet whereas cs helps in those things
Whereas getting a non med doesn't help you make a room for getting skills
Do a WADM according to TMF this could really help with your decision

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Bro chemistry and physics are easy bro get a tutor for it
Hope so. Can one find time to do entrepreneurial venture while studying class 11 science?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.