The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Effective Business Writing: How to Write Clearly

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
460%
May 1, 2011
“Writing is thinking on paper,” said William Zinsser in his book On Writing Well. “Anyone who thinks clearly can write clearly, about anything at all.”

This includes entrepreneurs who, whether they like it or not, need to use their writing skills daily.

Clear writing sells better.

Clear writing helps avoid costly communication mistakes.

Clear writing improves your credibility.

But how do you write well? Over my 10+ years of writing non-fiction professionally, everything from blog posts to sales copy to how-to books, I’ve learned some fundamental principles. Here are seven of them:

1. Use Hooks

How fast would you yawn if I started this article with “Writing simply is an important skill”? Would you even read the rest?

Readers won’t give you more than a couple of seconds. Give value right away to encourage them to keep reading. Start with a surprising fact, interesting quote, or a thought-provoking question.

Even the best piece of writing won’t be clear to a distracted reader, so make sure to capture their attention with good hooks. Here are a few types of hooks you can use throughout your piece:

- A witty remark or an interesting quote: people love effective one-liners.

Example: see the opening sentence of this article.

- Surprising data: people love curious facts they can share with others.

Example: “To fuel his creativity, poet W. H. Auden took a dose of Benzedrine (a brand name of amphetamine) each morning. At night, he used a sedative to get to sleep.”

- Humor: business writing can be funny, too (perhaps not so much when you’re in the death care industry)

Example: “They say that writers who think clearly make a lot of money. I say that writers who think clearly are smart enough to expect nothing else but misery from writing.”

- Conflict or controversy: making a controversial point or taking a shot at someone is a proven eye-grabber.

Example: “Social media influencers are like unloved five-year old children, constantly drawing attention to themselves through silly dancing and idiotic face expressions.”

You don’t have to make enemies to use this type of hook. You may just as well hint at potential conflict that is later resolved.

Example: “I signed up for a course on writing effective sales copy with an expectation it would be yet another scammy digital product. I quickly learned I couldn’t have been further from the truth.”

- Story: people love stories. Even in a non-fiction piece, you can still include an entertaining story.

Example: “When I first started writing on a typewriter, I hated it so much I threw it out the window. After softening myself with two drinks, I retrieved it (it miraculously survived the fall—talk about signs the universe sends you) and tried again. Since then, I’ve never again used a modern word processor.”

2. Make a Point

Clear business writing makes a point in every paragraph, and ideally every sentence. When re-reading what you wrote, ask yourself: “so what?” If you can’t answer this question easily, your reader won’t see the point, either.

When in doubt, take it out. As William Zinsser wrote, “Writing improves in direct ratio to the number of things we can keep out of it that shouldn’t be there.”

3. Avoid Crutch Words, Adverbs and Filler

In writing, we don’t need to use filler to give us more time to think about our response. For example, consider the word “actually.”

Or actually, let’s use a different example.

The sentence above is common in everyday speech. In clear writing, “Let’s use a different example” is the way to go. “Actually” is completely unnecessary.

Speaking of which, "completely" is another example of a word we don’t need. The above sentence would be stronger if it said “’Actually’ is unnecessary.”

Very often “very” pretty much doesn’t add anything to a sentence, either (in this sentence, “very” and “pretty much” are unnecessary).

Be watchful of adverbs. “Seriously,” “basically,” “really,” “currently,” “absolutely,” are all unnecessary. So are redundancies like: “helpfully aid,” “sprint quickly,” “he entered into the room,” “on a daily basis,” or “a free gift.”

Filler is any word or phrase that adds nothing to your piece. For example, there’s no need to say “It should be pointed out that.” Just write what you want to point out. Same goes for “I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention” and similar expressions.

A great editor will be able to spot these issues and help you remove them. You can also use tools like Hemingway App, Grammarly, or ProWritingAid.

4. Be Confident and Precise

I think that perhaps we might sort of talk about writing confidently. In writing, words like “perhaps,” “maybe,” “might,” “sort of,” “a bit,” “kind of,” “in my opinion,” “I would like to,” “I think,” or “I just wanted to share” are not only unnecessary, they’re also tedious.

Make your writing more forceful. Omit words that make you sound as if you’re groveling. If you want to be perceived as an expert, you can’t hide behind weak words. Believe in the importance of what you want to say.

When making claims, avoid vague weasel words like “some people believe,” “experts say,” “the vast majority.” Be precise and back them up with credible sources or data. Who is some people? Which experts share this opinion? What does the vast majority mean?

Share specific examples. Don’t say: “Surfing will change your life.” Say: “Twelve weeks after I started surfing, I lost ten pounds, overcame my depression, made three new friends, and decided to move closer to the coast.”

5. Don’t Try to Be Smart

“Never say anything in writing that you wouldn’t comfortably say in conversation,” said William Zinsser in his book On Writing Well. “If you’re not a person who says ‘indeed’ or ‘moreover,’ or who calls someone an individual (‘he’s a fine individual’), please don’t write it.”

Don’t look at writing as something that should convince everyone how smart you are. Difficult words and complex sentences show that you suck at explaining, not that you’re smart.

Don’t write “utilize” in place of “use” to sound intelligent. Don’t write complex sentences because “your writing is not for idiots.” Aim to write at a level understood by an average person. Hemingway App is a great tool to help you assess how easy your writing is. I like to keep my writing below 8th grade (this article is 5th grade).

Don’t assume that everyone knows jargon. Your vocabulary should be so simple that even a person who has no idea about what you’re writing can understand what you’re trying to convey.

6. Rewrite

Resist the temptation to publish your first draft, no matter how great you think it is. A sense of accomplishment (or the desire to be done) may blind you to the fact that your writing needs some tweaking before it’s ready.

The first draft is rarely a perfect demonstration of clear writing. It’s only when you re-read your piece a few times that you’ll be able to spot potential improvements, unnecessary words, or imprecise language.

Whenever you write something, if possible, take a break and return to it later. For ultra-short content (quick but important emails or social media posts), take a few minutes. For short pieces (a few hundred words), a few hours are enough. For longer ones (including books), days or weeks need to pass before you can look at them with a fresh pair of eyes.

7. Keep It Short

Unlike with wordy writing, nobody will ever criticize you for being concise. This applies to words, sentences, and paragraphs.

Don’t use long words if shorter words are equally good. No need to write “assistance” if “help” is just as good. “Try” is better than “attempt.” “Many” is better than “numerous.” “Because” is better than “due to the fact that.”

Use Hemingway App to spot complex sentences. It’s best to turn a long sentence into two or three shorter ones. If you can’t, use punctuation to make it flow better.

Read your writing aloud and notice when you can’t read a sentence in one breath. You can also count the words in a sentence. Snappy writing gets the job done in less than 15-20 words per sentence. 20-30 word sentences may need reworking. Sentences with more than 30 words are usually too long.

For clarity and ease of reading, an average paragraph shouldn’t be longer than a few sentences. I like to stick to five sentences per paragraph. Long blocks of text are exhausting.

If writing a longer piece, above 300 words or so, use headers, a numbered list, or bullet points to break it down. Remember that modern readers are impatient, prone to distraction, and lazy. If your writing is easy on the eye, there’s a higher chance they’ll read it.

Conclusion

Never forget that clear writing is goal-oriented. When you achieve your goal, conclude your piece. As William Zinsser wrote: “when you’re ready to stop, stop. If you have presented all the facts and made the point you want to make, look for the nearest exit.”

Before I bow out: if you have any questions on simple writing or writing non-fiction in general, feel free to post them. I’ll do my best to answer. For fun, I may also help simplify your writing if you’d like to provide some examples.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattL

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
Thanks for taking the time to write that post.

Lots of great ideas in there.

On stories in writing. Try not to go overboard with it.

Good examples of usage of stories in non-fiction: Gladwell (Blink, Tipping Point), Newport (Deep Work).

Bad examples: Sharma (The 5 AM Club)

Reactions: MTF

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
460%
May 1, 2011
On stories in writing. Try not to go overboard with it.

Yes, I like short stories. Non-fiction books with very long stories are sort of like fiction—no point in reading them twice.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Cancel anytime

$7 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 44% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Crush Goals: 30% Off GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Save the best: bookmark/archive ability
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • Crush Goals: 50% Off a GoalSumo.com Subscription

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.