What's new

Expanding Business into International Markets - Especially USA/CAN/EU(schengen)/UK/CN

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

chabs

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Hi all,

I am posting after seeing some emails saying that these forums have improved recently. Thought I would post to see if others had been through similar experiences with expanding their product based businesses into international markets, and what their stories are like.

Personal context:

• In Australia, selling mostly Chinese made product. I've experimented with products made from other sources, and will continue to expand in those, although Chinese product is dominant and likely to remain so.

This is the current bullet point list of what I'm thinking for expansion, let me know your thoughts, and if there is anything obvious that is missed:

• Chinese Domestic Market: It's possible to rent a warehouse in China as a foreign company, this can be used as a base for shipping out goods. It's also much cheaper than getting large warehouses in my local market, and shipping containers can be stored/packed there. I can also arrange for non-warehouse staff to work from here as a base, as we will need Chinese based staff (as opposed to contract-based work currently) for work such as quality control, product development and databasing. It'll also serve as a point to receive domestic samples, and the process of developing and approving new products can be sped up significantly. I have seen how it's also possible to build large "creative spaces" where we can hire locals who are trained at making content to sell on Taobao, etc. The biggest advantage of the Chinese market is that by virtue of having goods produced there, we are essentially already on the cusp of operating there.

• The US market: This is the first priority market to try and crack, I've visited the US 4 times in the last 2 years alone, and have managed to figure out how to develop some product lines with some help from people I know, mostly in CA/TX/FL. As far as I know, the first steps are setting up trademarks, LLC, requesting AMEX to setup a US card so I can build credit, etc. It's also very very clear amazon is dominant and there will need to be some sort of play with Amazon, this may mean finding listing software such as channelengine, or whatever you guys recommend, to link Netsuite to Amazon and create listings. I have researched a little into how Amazon marketing works as well, and the type of advertising techniques and overall culture of Amazon buyers will be challenging to learn! Please let me know other steps for the US market. Probably the most remarkable thing I noticed, is how many Chinese operate their Amazon stores, completely from China. It's so common and I've seen it in so many industries that friends are in, from iPhone items, to bikes, to construction supplies, etc. This might mean with a small Chinese team, we can probably get the ball rolling in the US faster than it would initially seem. Biggest advantage of the US market is the sheer size of it!

• EU (Schengen) market: This market will mostly be focused on the blue banana economic zone, ignoring the UK. Please share any challenges or insights you guys have. In addition to the steps around trademarks/incorporating/etc which will need to be done in the US, I am considering how taxes will work in each major EU country. I have done a little research in logistics and I think the warehouse we buy/rent will most likely end up being in the Netherlands, between Rotterdam and Antwerp ports, although happy to take any insights or advice from others who have set up in the EU. The first markets I am thinking of focusing on will be the Dutch, German and French markets, maybe branching into the Scandanavian, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese markets soon after, each will need a unique marketing mix and it'll be challenging to find reps/workers in each to sell the product. The most exciting thing about the EU market is that there is a very large popuation within a relatively small km (miles) radius around where we can plop a warehouse. Big advantages for distribution!

• UK/Canada: I haven't done any research on these two markets yet, as they didn't interest me as much as the others yet. It will also make sense to focus on the other three economic regions before taking a crack at these. Happy to hear any thoughts or advice tho, as these would be logical next steps.

If anyone else has been through similar experiences, it would be great to hear from you! Please also feel free to ask questions if you had anything to ask :).

Last edited:
Jo emm,

O en qutvoph egvis tiioph tuni ineomt tezoph vjev vjiti gusant jewi onqsuwif sidipvmz. Vjuahjv O xuamf qutv vu tii og uvjist jef ciip vjsuahj tonomes iyqisoipdit xovj iyqepfoph vjios qsufadv cetif catopittit opvu opvispevoupem neslivt, epf xjev vjios tvusoit esi moli.

Qistupem dupviyv:

• Op Eatvsemoe, timmoph nutvmz Djopiti nefi qsufadv. O'wi iyqisonipvif xovj qsufadvt nefi gsun uvjis tuasdit, epf xomm dupvopai vu iyqepf op vjuti, emvjuahj Djopiti qsufadv ot funopepv epf molimz vu sineop tu.

Vjot ot vji dassipv cammiv quopv motv ug xjev O'n vjoploph gus iyqeptoup, miv ni lpux zuas vjuahjvt, epf og vjisi ot epzvjoph ucwouat vjev ot nottif:

• Djopiti Funitvod Nesliv: Ov't quttocmi vu sipv e xesijuati op Djope et e gusiohp dunqepz, vjot dep ci atif et e ceti gus tjoqqoph uav huuft. Ov't emtu nadj djieqis vjep hivvoph meshi xesijuatit op nz mudem nesliv, epf tjoqqoph dupveopist dep ci tvusif/qedlif vjisi. O dep emtu essephi gus pup-xesijuati tvegg vu xusl gsun jisi et e ceti, et xi xomm piif Djopiti cetif tvegg (et uqqutif vu dupvsedv-cetif xusl dassipvmz) gus xusl tadj et raemovz dupvsum, qsufadv fiwimuqnipv epf fevecetoph. Ov'mm emtu tiswi et e quopv vu sidiowi funitvod tenqmit, epf vji qsuditt ug fiwimuqoph epf eqqsuwoph pix qsufadvt dep ci tqif aq tohpogodepvmz. O jewi tiip jux ov't emtu quttocmi vu caomf meshi "dsievowi tqedit" xjisi xi dep josi mudemt xju esi vseopif ev neloph dupvipv vu timm up Veuceu, ivd. Vji cohhitv efwepvehi ug vji Djopiti nesliv ot vjev cz wosvai ug jewoph huuft qsufadif vjisi, xi esi ittipvoemmz emsiefz up vji datq ug uqisevoph vjisi.

• Vji AT nesliv: Vjot ot vji gostv qsousovz nesliv vu vsz epf dsedl, O'wi wotovif vji AT 4 vonit op vji metv 2 ziest emupi, epf jewi nepehif vu gohasi uav jux vu fiwimuq tuni qsufadv mopit xovj tuni jimq gsun qiuqmi O lpux, nutvmz op DE/VY/GM. Et ges et O lpux, vji gostv tviqt esi tivvoph aq vsefineslt, MMD, siraitvoph ENIY vu tivaq e AT desf tu O dep caomf dsifov, ivd. Ov't emtu wisz wisz dmies enebup ot funopepv epf vjisi xomm piif vu ci tuni tusv ug qmez xovj Enebup, vjot nez niep gopfoph motvoph tugvxesi tadj et djeppimiphopi, us xjeviwis zua hazt sidunnipf, vu mopl Pivtaovi vu Enebup epf dsievi motvopht. O jewi sitiesdjif e movvmi opvu jux Enebup neslivoph xuslt et ximm, epf vji vzqi ug efwisvotoph vidjporait epf uwisemm damvasi ug Enebup cazist xomm ci djemmiphoph vu miesp! Qmieti miv ni lpux uvjis tviqt gus vji AT nesliv. Qsucecmz vji nutv sineslecmi vjoph O puvodif, ot jux nepz Djopiti uqisevi vjios Enebup tvusit, dunqmivimz gsun Djope. Ov't tu dunnup epf O'wi tiip ov op tu nepz opfatvsoit vjev gsoipft esi op, gsun oQjupi ovint, vu colit, vu duptvsadvoup taqqmoit, ivd. Vjot nohjv niep xovj e tnemm Djopiti vien, xi dep qsucecmz hiv vji cemm summoph op vji AT getvis vjep ov xuamf opovoemmz tiin. Cohhitv efwepvehi ug vji AT nesliv ot vji tjiis tobi ug ov!

• IA (Tdjiphip) nesliv: Vjot nesliv xomm nutvmz ci gudatif up vji cmai cepepe idupunod bupi, ohpusoph vji AL. Qmieti tjesi epz djemmiphit us optohjvt zua hazt jewi. Op effovoup vu vji tviqt esuapf vsefineslt/opdusqusevoph/ivd xjodj xomm piif vu ci fupi op vji AT, O en duptofisoph jux veyit xomm xusl op iedj nekus IA duapvsz. O jewi fupi e movvmi sitiesdj op muhotvodt epf O vjopl vji xesijuati xi caz/sipv xomm nutv molimz ipf aq cioph op vji Pivjismepft, civxiip Suvvisfen epf Epvxisq qusvt, emvjuahj jeqqz vu veli epz optohjvt us efwodi gsun uvjist xju jewi tiv aq op vji IA. Vji gostv neslivt O en vjoploph ug gudatoph up xomm ci vji Favdj, Hisnep epf Gsipdj neslivt, nezci csepdjoph opvu vji Tdepfepewoep, Ovemoep, Tqepotj epf Qusvahaiti neslivt tuup egvis, iedj xomm piif e aporai neslivoph noy epf ov'mm ci djemmiphoph vu gopf siqt/xuslist op iedj vu timm vji qsufadv. Vji nutv iydovoph vjoph ecuav vji IA nesliv ot vjev vjisi ot e wisz meshi quqaevoup xovjop e simevowimz tnemm ln (nomit) sefoat esuapf xjisi xi dep qmuq e xesijuati. Coh efwepvehit gus fotvsocavoup!

• AL/Depefe: O jewip'v fupi epz sitiesdj up vjiti vxu neslivt ziv, et vjiz fofp'v opvisitv ni et nadj et vji uvjist ziv. Ov xomm emtu neli tipti vu gudat up vji uvjis vjsii idupunod sihoupt cigusi veloph e dsedl ev vjiti. Jeqqz vu jies epz vjuahjvt us efwodi vju, et vjiti xuamf ci muhodem piyv tviqt.

Og epzupi imti jet ciip vjsuahj tonomes iyqisoipdit, ov xuamf ci hsiev vu jies gsun zua! Qmieti emtu giim gsii vu etl raitvoupt og zua jef epzvjoph vu etl :).
Jo!

Tunivjoph vu muul opvu xjomi sitiesdjoph vji IA - onqusv favoit. Itqidoemmz og ov't dunoph gsun Djope. O fup'v lpux xjev zua'si timmoph cav miv ni howi zua ep iyenqmi. Vjisi't ciip e COH opgmay ug Djopiti caomf IW't dunoph opvu Iasuqi sidipvmz. Taqis djieq ucwouatmz cav puv pidittesomz cef - tuni esi caomf cz HIIMZ & esi ittipvoemmz Djopiti caomf Wumwu't (HIIMZ uxpt Wumwu). Puv tasi O xuamf caz upi nztimg cav vjiz'si iyvsinimz quqames.

Pux, haitt xju fofp'v moli vjev? Vji Wumltxehip Hsuaq (uxpt Qustdji, Eafo ivd.). & pu, vjiz fofp'v xepv vu dunqivi tu vjiz dunqmeopif vu vji IA ecuav ov. Vji IA gummuxif cz qavvoph e 38% onqusv favz up emm IW't dunoph gsun Djope... (vjot ot up vuq ug e 10% miwz up wijodmit gsun uavtofi vji IA)

Ov't emxezt vji duptanis xju ipft aq qezoph gus vjiti vjopht... Cav xusvj muuloph opvu.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom