What's new

Experimenting with Local Services - What I learned & My Plans

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Around three months ago, I conducted research on various search terms for local services using Ahrefs. The purpose of this search was to generate ideas for services I could potentially offer. During my research, I discovered a couple of local services that I believed I could rank for relatively easily, as they had a fairly high search volume of up to 600 per month.

As a result, I created three websites, all of which were designed with a mobile-first approach and filled with the keywords I wanted to rank highly for. One of these websites, dedicated to furniture removal, rubbish removal, and house moving services, managed to land on the first page of Google for the main keyword I targeted within five weeks. It currently holds a position between 3rd and 4th in the Google search rankings and generates approximately five organic leads per month. Since its launch, I haven't put any more effort into the website or made any further updates. The competition is so weak that it will likely continue to rank higher for several keywords.

However, despite offering the service on my website, I didn't personally possess a van to provide the service. Therefore, for the first 6-7 leads, I simply gave them away for free to a guy who offered these services. After the 6-7th lead, I messaged him on Facebook to inquire if he had managed to secure any jobs from the leads I had sent his way. He responded hours later, indicating that he hadn't been successful but would "try harder." This response led me to believe that he might have been lazy, neglecting to follow up with leads for days or possibly giving up if he didn't receive an answer on the initial call.

I wanted to see how hard it was to close these leads myself, so I ran an experiment with Google Ads. I created a bunch of landing pages for my different services and ran Ads to those landing pages. My average cost per lead came out to €2.50 and I would get about 3 per day. My website only had an option to send an enquiry, no calls. I work an office job so I couldn’t take any calls. I would reach out to leads within 1-2 hours of receiving an inquiry (Pretty slow). I would send an email with a quote also asking them to confirm a date and time and about 40% of them would be happy to proceed. These jobs would often be a 15 minute pickup and dropoff that paid €60-80. I even made them pay on the website first. I tried offering these closed leads to some guys offering van services near that area but they were impossible to get in contact with and often did not respond for days at a time. I called a couple of them and honestly they were just impossible to do business with, they would be flakey and had awful communication skills, it was a real headache.

It was no wonder I found it so easy to rank the website, run ads and close leads myself… I actually communicated with people.

The Ad campaign was a massive success, but I shut it down. I didn’t want to work with these guys because I would be making so little per job and it was simply not worth dealing with them for the money I would be making. If I offered the service myself I could probably earn a couple of grand/mo seeing as I could bring in around 90 leads per a month using Google Ads just for my local area, but it’s not something I’m interested in.

I’m seeing results with the other websites too, the results are a lot slower and would require more effort from me to reach a high ranking. I’m not going to work on these websites however, because I’m not interested in providing services that are very hard to scale.

This experiment was an eye opener that showed me how easy it is to crush regular local businesses. Most of them have horrible websites and don't even respond to leads! I’m thinking of following this same process for higher ticket local jobs such as landscaping & construction services. Ideally I would offer simpler jobs such as garden design and building patios for people, these jobs pay in the thousands and they have a high Google search volume with slightly better but still very poor competition. The one issue is that I have no experience in construction. I would need to bring someone experienced in and learn on the job.

If anyone has experience running a construction business / other lucrative local service biz, I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips. I'm just a man who wants to leave the cubicle farm :happy:

Reactions: DNA
Liiq op nopf xjomi sesi, vjisi esi vjuti muuloph gus mieft epf esi xommoph vu qez gus vjin. Nezci vjopl gsepdjotit. Vjot gostv haz zua hewi zuas mieft fuitp'v tuapf moli zuas veshiv datvunis.

Xjomi ov duamf ci hsiev gus zua vu hiv opvu uggisoph vjiti tiswodit zuastimg O emtu vjopl tdemoph xovj timmoph mieft tuapft tu nadj civvis.

Liiq op nopf xjomi sesi, vjisi esi vjuti muuloph gus mieft epf esi xommoph vu qez gus vjin. Nezci vjopl gsepdjotit. Vjot gostv haz zua hewi zuas mieft fuitp'v tuapf moli zuas veshiv datvunis.

Xjomi ov duamf ci hsiev gus zua vu hiv opvu uggisoph vjiti tiswodit zuastimg O emtu vjopl tdemoph xovj timmoph mieft tuapft tu nadj civvis.
Huuf quopv. O'n wisz dupgofipv op nz ecomovz vu hipisevi mieft gus mudem tiswodi cetif catopittit. O'f moli vu siedj uav vu tuni tnemm catopitt uxpist epf uggis nz tiswodit. Nezci O duamf veli emm vji sotl aqgsupv, opdmafoph Ef tqipf idv epf qsuwofi gsii mieft vu tjux vji wemai ug nz tiswodi ev pu sotl vu vji catopitt uxpis. Xjev fu zua vjopl?

Reactions: DNA
Huuf quopv. O'n wisz dupgofipv op nz ecomovz vu hipisevi mieft gus mudem tiswodi cetif catopittit. O'f moli vu siedj uav vu tuni tnemm catopitt uxpist epf uggis nz tiswodit. Nezci O duamf veli emm vji sotl aqgsupv, opdmafoph Ef tqipf idv epf qsuwofi gsii mieft vu tjux vji wemai ug nz tiswodi ev pu sotl vu vji catopitt uxpis.

jux vjiz ataemmz xusl ot:

nivjuf 1: vjiz hiv vji mief vjsuahj neslivoph epf vjip timm ov vu e neyonan ug vjsii dunqepoit timidvif cz vjin iyenqmi: xi esi ucmohif vu qez 30 iasut gus e suug dmiepoph mief vuhivjis xovj 2 uvjis dunqepoit xju emtu iedj qez 30 iasut = 90 iasut gus vji mief hipisevoup dunqepz

vji ipf datvunis ot jeqqz cideati ji xet ecmi vu dunqesi civxiip 3 dunqepoit.

vji mief hipisevoup dunqepz ot jeqqz cideati vjiz jewi nefi 90 iasut op vaspuwis.

xi et dunqepoit sineop jeqqz et muph et xi dupwisv ipuahj mieft opvu qezoph datvunist.

nivjuf 2 vjev zua dep ati nutvmz gus tnemmis kuct moli xopfux xetjoph, havvis dmiepoph:

hivvoph mieft vjsuahj neslivoph:

emm vji dunqepoit (zuas datvunist) xomm sidiowi ep ineom xovj e tjusv fitdsoqvoup epf mudevoup xovjuav datvunis feve:

neyonan 4 dunqepoit dep caz vjot datvunis feve ev ( 8 iasu ) epf vjip dupvedv...

pu ucmohevoup vu qasdjeti, tu vjev nepz apopvisitvoph mieft esi puv tumf.

vjopht vu duptofis

nivjuf 1:

(johjis vjsitjumf vu gopf datvunist gus vjot cideati ug vji ucmohevoupt zua onquti up vjin, cav johjis iespopht)

datvunist esi emtu huoph vu ci nadj nusi dsovodem epf raodlmz dunqmeop og vji mieft esi puv ug huuf raemovz.

zua xomm emtu jewi nusi datvunis vaspuwis

nivjuf 2:

zua xomm gopf epf liiq datvunist getvis.
hiv gixis dunqmeopvt cideati vjiz fidofi gus vjintimwit xjev ot opvisitvoph vu caz epf xjev ot puv.
cav emtu iesp mitt.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back