The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Fear of success doesn't really make much sense, but...

Anything related to matters of the mind

P0KiD0Ki92

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
May 29, 2024
Atlanta, GA
In my short 31 years of life, I've never really feared failure. Actually, I've been often described as fearLESS by many of my friends and colleagues and ngl, I take huge pride in that. :cool: I wouldn't say that I'm entirely fearless, however. I've recently discovered through this entrepreneurship journey that I may in fact suffer from a "fear of success."

"Wtf does that even mean, Perla?" I'll tell you, kind stranger. We often talk about the fear of failure, which is totally normal for most people. Trying new things is scary and if we fail at said new thing, it can mess with our self-esteem and perception and make us apprehensive about trying new things in the future... Again, completely normal. Trying life-changing new ventures and succeeding is low-key paralyzing to me.

If I do this and fail, nothing about my life will change. I will probably still be a code monkey at some mid-sized company making a pretty good salary for about 20 to 60 hours worth of work per week, slowly building my nest egg through temporal prostitution, and trading my time at a negative ROI. BUT! If I do this and succeed, just about everything about my life could potentially change.

Intellectually, I know that it'll most likely change for the better, but psychologically, it's hobbling for some idiotic reason. I think that the fear of success ultimately boils down to the fear of the unknown. I KNOW what's behind door #1. I have no idea what I'll find behind door #2. My "fear of success" often manifests as self-sabotage. That was actually one of my reasons for deciding to have co-founders (other than the fact that this project is a massive undertaking for a single person). I can talk myself out of just about anything (even if it's a good idea), rationalize it with Simone Biles levels of mental gymnastics, and sleep like a baby afterward. Now that I essentially have stakeholders that I'm beholden to, I can't back down from this without destroying my relationship with these brilliant women whom I respect, which would gut me.

I'm realizing that I still have so much more work to do on myself. Entrepreneurship has taught me more about my psychological shortcomings in two months than my therapist has in two years. :happy:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Entrepreneurship has taught me more about my psychological shortcomings in two months than my therapist has in two years.

Yes, business is incredibly transformative.

You'll meet some great new friends/colleagues, and you'll also lose some close friends, perhaps even family as you succeed and transform into a "new you."

Sadly, some people will find your burgeoning success as a threat.

I will probably still be a code monkey at some mid-sized company making a pretty good salary for about 20 to 60 hours worth of work per week, slowly building my nest egg through temporal prostitution, and trading my time at a negative ROI. BUT! If I do this and succeed, just about everything about my life could potentially change.

Positive Asymmetry .... limited downside, huge upside. Continually make bets like this and you'll win life.

This is how you live you dreams.

Thank you for sharing your wins, trials and tribulations here, they are thoughtful reads.

pmusu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 17, 2024
Amsterdam
It's not just a change—it's a metamorphosis.

Fixed mindset? Gone.
Scarcity mentality? Shattered.
Consumer? Producer.

This mental shift doesn't just rock your world—it detonates it, rebuilding from the ground up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.