What's new

From one software developer to those looking to hire software developers

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

dknise

Gold Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Yo! So I keep posting this quite a lot, so I thought I'd just make a thread for it. There's a lot of non-programmers on here looking to hire programmers to write their software. I know a lot of you don't want to learn any programming, but I think it's vital you at least learn how software is made!
As a software dev, I have a different perspective on what it takes to make it and what I need to make it for you. Anyone in the development world... knows it all comes down to one thing... requirements.

Every, single, little problem and discrepancy that's ever come up on projects I've worked on for others came down to a problem with the requirements. The business asks for one thing... the developer gives them exactly what they asked for... we find out the business never realized what exactly they were asking for. This became increasingly frustrating during my last gig because we would save the email chain between dev and business where we asked the hard hitting questions and even the "are you sure you reaaally want it done this way?" Sure enough, after it's made, after our time and resources are spent on developing it their way, they change their mind! Whenever time is spent to develop a piece that's thrown out for a changed requirement, it's called "dev churn." It doesn't waste the dev's time and money, they still get paid, you just paid for the development of something that went in the trash bin.

SO. For all you people hiring software devs, YOU are the business and it's your money at stake here. Taking a little bit of time to understand what it is your developers are looking for could really help out.

The book I recommend:
Software Requirements 2: Karl Wiegers: 9780735618794: Amazon.com: Books

I believe the book was intended for project managers, but if you're hiring software devs without a team... guess what, you are the project manager! The manager never touches the code, they're just there to oversee it's production.

A little example of learning how to talk to devs and getting want you want out of software...

My mom is an accountant who's job consistently requires new automation work by their IT department. I'd often open my email to find an Excel spreadsheet with a description of what she needs programmed using Excel's API. None of my mom's IT requests would ever get filled... and I know exactly why. Her requests couldn't be filled with the level of information she was giving. I taught her the basics to writing pseudo-code which is just the if-then-else, do this while or x many of times and what do you know, every time she submits a request, it promptly gets filled.

I hope this tip helped someone on the forum!

Stay classy.:thumbsup:

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Vjot qutv tjuamf tewi tuni qiuqmi vjuatepft.

Tqiif++++++++++

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom