The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Good scotch...

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Glenmorangie, 18, nuff said. I thought it was better than the 20 something year old Macallan I had before it.

Grand Wine Cellar Glenmorangie Scotch Single Malt 18 Yr 86@@

As I am becoming a more "experianced" drinker I find that I'm starting to enjoy a good scotch. Or any drink with less mixers. Mixers hide the flavor and contain a lot of sugar and stuff I don't want.

I was like a pig in mud drinking that stuff while smoking a good South American cigar.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Salinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 31, 2009
Colorado
I've tried many times to like scotch and other whiskeys. Even the well-aged ones always seemed harsh to me. I just didn't enjoy it much. Then, I tried some better tequilas. Mmmm.

In my book, you just can't beat a nice, smooth resposado or anejo. :thumbsup:

(I'm not criticizing scotch by any means. I'm just saying it's not my drink.)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I am warming up to scotch. Still hate the taste but the inebriation is nice and mellow, which I like.

Tried blue label for the first time, and for an amateur like me that was probably just a waste of good scotch - I am back to red label leagues for awhile.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Scotch is wonderful if you like a watered down version of good whiskey. If you want something reallllllly nice you need to explore the world of good bourbons. I'd recommend the Elijah Craig 18 year old single barrel or the 12 year old Evan Williams single - both are actually the exact same whiskey since both are made at the Heaven Hill Distillery in Kentucky.

I dragged Jill through the Distillery last summer when we went home for my 20th HS reunion and at the distillery they offer a 23 year old bottle you can only buy there - it is mad pricey but it's like drinking silk.

For those who like scotch but haven't refined their tastebuds enough yet to really appreciate good whiskey (don't flip guys, I am screwing with you a tad) you need to try it.

Scotch is actually aged in spent Bourbon barrels - once all the flavor has been leached out of the charred oak Kentucky barrels they send them on to Scotland to make secondhand whiskey.

Oh, and please, for the love of God, do not refer to anything made in Tennessee or Canada as bourbon, that can get you shot in Kentucky.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
One of the guys that works for us only drinks Bourbon, but I havn't tried it yet. Scotch is fairly strong and I'm still an amature!:smx6:

It does sound good though, I'll have to give it a go.

OTOH I do like Canadian Whisky, thats one of my favorite drinks, good old VO.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I've tried many times to like scotch and other whiskeys. Even the well-aged ones always seemed harsh to me. I just didn't enjoy it much. Then, I tried some better tequilas. Mmmm.

In my book, you just can't beat a nice, smooth resposado or anejo. :thumbsup:

(I'm not criticizing scotch by any means. I'm just saying it's not my drink.)

Tequilas makes you crazy, I can't drink it. My mouth starts to run and things come out of it that can lead to fights.:smx4:

I stay away now...

LSnyder

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 12, 2009
New Jersey
VO and ginger..a favorite of mine. When my family goes on vacation, I enjoy starting my day with a little shot in my coffee. It does great things to a cup of coffee!

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Tequilas makes you crazy, I can't drink it. My mouth starts to run and things come out of it that can lead to fights.:smx4:

I stay away now...
My research indicates that there are essentially two types of tequila drunks. Fightin tequila drunks and naked tequila drunks. Never really been a fighter

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Once had a great affinity for the Single Malts . . . this coincided with the people I worked for having amazing stashes of the stuff (it was what they drank, so I went along).

Once you develop a taste for it, it's scary how much you want one at the end of a day. Scary.

(I haven't had a scotch in more than 10 years, can you tell?)

Jeez, w/this and the Marijuana thread, I'm sounding like a graduate of rehab.

Not true. Just switched to less potent addictions. :)

I count wine as one of those. Tawny port? I'm there.

One of my wine buddies gave us a bottle of Absynthe when we last visited them.

Looking forward to giving it a burl.

-Russ H.

MonTexan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Not sure about giving it a burl....but maybe a hurl! :puke: Just joking...that absynthe has got some bite though. Certainly not a nice smooth sipping scotch or bourbon. Tried it a few times while over in Prague and it was just brutal every time!

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Oh god. Warmed up devil's spit in green form. Enjoy!

Well Russ, at least we are getting the "back in the day" stories out there ;)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
RAWR-

Sheesh, I turn 48 in a few weeks . . . where did the time go . . .

I've gotta start trotting out lots of "BITD" stories, so as to earn my "geezer" status. ;)

-Russ H.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
I've never had scotch.... but I like butter scotch a lot! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.