The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google disapproving repair ads?!?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Anyone else getting local repair business ads disapproved because of the (new?) “Third-party consumer technical support” policy?

I’ve a printer and photocopier service/repair/supply client and their ads are getting disapproved. I’m just off the phone with a Google rep who said it’s because the client is a third party and not the manufacturer.

I asked if this meant an electrician can’t advertise they repair washing machines, and I was told that’s not allowed either.

Huh?!??

Extract from

Third-party consumer technical support

The following is not allowed:

Not allowed Technical support by third-party providers for consumer technology products and online services

Examples (non-exhaustive list): Technical support for troubleshooting, security, virus removal, internet connectivity, online accounts (for example, password resets or login support), or software installation

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
May 18, 2019
Sounds like your Google rep doesn't know what he/she is doing.

How is washing machine repair under tech support?

Local services
As part of a limited beta, ads for locksmith and garage door repair services are restricted in specific areas. To advertise in these areas, you must apply for advanced verification. Learn more about advanced verification.

Maybe you should try doing the advanced verification?

P.S. I haven't touched adwords in awhile so I'm not sure if this would work.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sounds like your Google rep doesn't know what he/she is doing.

How is washing machine repair under tech support?

Maybe you should try doing the advanced verification?

P.S. I haven't touched adwords in awhile so I'm not sure if this would work.
It’s just odd. Why prevent printer and photocopier supply, repair, and service businesses from running ads? I’ll have to advise them to invest in SEO and other marketing channels.

The washing machine repair ads are still running.

This does have me thinking I’d best diversify away from just using Google Ads.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Examples (non-exhaustive list): Technical support for troubleshooting, security, virus removal, internet connectivity, online accounts (for example, password resets or login support), or software installation
So..... [Insert whatever niche] agencies cannot use Google anymore ?

Let's say you help people to setup their FB ads or Google Ads... you're offering services as a third party.
Isn't it #1 - Discriminatory and #2 -Google's refusing a lot of money suddenly ?

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
May 18, 2019
Google and FB are rich enough to turn down this sort of money from advertisers who make ads that bring down the user experience.

They make way more money keeping users happy and collecting their data than selling ad spaces

So..... [Insert whatever niche] agencies cannot use Google anymore ?

Let's say you help people to setup their FB ads or Google Ads... you're offering services as a third party.
Isn't it #1 - Discriminatory and #2 -Google's refusing a lot of money suddenly ?

Last edited:

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I'm curious as to how providing the solution to someone with a problem can bring down the user experience. Unless you start bidding on random keywords.

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
May 18, 2019
Well, that's the problem. There's no way to tell for certain why X is considered good while Y is considered bad on Adwords or FB, unless someone from the inside tells us. They aren't obligated to do so either, which can be frustrating.

I'm curious as to how providing the solution to someone with a problem can bring down the user experience. Unless you start bidding on random keywords.

pawon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 4, 2018

This seems to focus on the "IT tech help scams" (scammers pretending to be from Microsoft, etc 'fixing' your computer).

A quick google search shows a lot of unhappy people, for example local computer repair businesses, etc.

Sounds to me like their new rules are interpreted completely wrong by their own staff.

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
May 18, 2019
This seems to focus on the "IT tech help scams" (scammers pretending to be from Microsoft, etc 'fixing' your computer).

A quick google search shows a lot of unhappy people, for example local computer repair businesses, etc.

Sounds to me like their new rules are interpreted completely wrong by their own staff.

Not only they are misinterpreting, but they are also throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Used to work for Adwords compliance department many moons ago.

Let's just say these guys are definitely not the sharpest minds in the entire Google campus.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, what a disservice to vocational professions, individuals who might not have a college degree.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I hope this gets resolved and Google stops penalising the wrong advertisers.

Then I hope said advertisers invest less into Google Ads going forward - because they’ve been shown how little Google cares about them, and they’ve been shown the danger of putting too much control into another company’s hands.

In a group of other Google Ads folks I’ve been advised to try and speak to a different Google Rep who might use a bit more common sense. If there’s lots of computer repair businesses complaining then I don’t have much faith in their compliance team having that common sense though.

I’ve butted heads with their compliance team many times. Some have been excellent, but some can be ... stubborn.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
As for washing machines..... 99% of the people who are 'qualified' 'repair' people for washing machines do not know how to repair the new style so they should be out of business anyway. 75% of my business is from people who had a repair man out and they couldn't fix the washer..... so they come buy a used set from me. I haul away their non working set, it usually takes my guy between 1 minute and 15 minutes to make the washer work correctly and then I sell it for $375-$699. :rofl:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Seems you need clarity on this new policy. It does sound like someone being over zealous and casting the net too wide for the policy's intent though.

If they are going to run with it regardless that will have massive implications on your clients and obviously your business model.

As part of a limited beta, ads for locksmith and garage door repair services are restricted in specific areas.

So that doesn't specify Printer repairs so where are they getting that from? Is there a list of which businesses they are targeting?

This line>

If we feel that certain kinds of businesses pose an unreasonable risk to user safety or user experience, then we may take a conservative position and limit or stop related ads from running.

Scares me. All your ad's can be compliant one day and fall foul the next.

Obviously that could be the case with any company that has you by the short and curlies but if they are actively pursuing that line of intent it's a serious wake up call to diversify.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.