The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Has Anyone Read This Lately?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.
He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:
For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences
For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:
For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.
In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our Brittish brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Great Stuff MJ. I was thinking of posting parts of this last night. I'm glad you listed it for those fastlaners out of the USA. This way, they can see where we started from and what our values were. This IS the Best country in the world. Now is the time to work hard to keep it this way! :patriot:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Sparlin said:
This IS the Best country in the world.
Have to gently disagree w/you on this point, Sparlin.

US is a great country, but others are great, too.

While I love my country (the USA), I don't consider myself better than others living in other countries.

Different, perhaps.

But not better.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

Dozens of other countries had their own hard roads, working their way to independence.

-Russ H.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Johnny Cash

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyN2jhWjeVw&feature=related]YouTube - Johnny Cash - Ragged Old Flag[/ame]

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Thanks, when is your country's celebration of sovereignty?

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Notwithstanding the reference to Indians as savages, this document is a beautifully elegant piece of writing imbued with passion and righteous logic.

I agree with Russ H. -- there are other people in this world, who, too, have fought to be secure in their persons, determining their path in life.

MJ,

Thanks for reminding us how great this country can be when it works to uphold the values that so many, around the world, look to as a beacon of hope on their dark roads to freedom.

Happy 4th, Fastlaners. :hurray:

Anthony

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Wow. Chill bumps. I hate to admit it, but I probably haven't read that all the way thru since high school. Thanks for posting it. :patriot:

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Yes many times, both of my great (X quite a few generations) grandfathers signed it, their names are in the right hand column.

declaration.jpg

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Only immigrant can tell you why a country is better than the other.

No country is a perfect country.

I have to say that I love USA. Even the health care system sucks, it's the greatest country for people who like to be free and to do thing they dream of.

Especially, it opens my eyes, when I experienced really luxury life style.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Have to gently disagree w/you on this point, Sparlin.

US is a great country, but others are great, too.

While I love my country (the USA), I don't consider myself better than others living in other countries.

Different, perhaps.

But not better.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

Dozens of other countries had their own hard roads, working their way to independence.

-Russ H.

Russ, I understand your opinion and your right to express it.
So with that, I will explain mine in more detail.

I believe that you are trying to stave off offense, by saying “No, we are equal”. Indeed, there is a certain appeal to saying everyone is equal, that we all share the same values, and that not one person deserves more than the other. It would make the world a “friendlier” place. The problem is that such dreams quickly diminish when confronted by the realities of life.

I’ll say again. This IS the Best country in the world, and here are the reasons why.

Never before in history has a government been established that allows for such a balance of power between the classes. Unprecedented in its creation, it was the citizens of this country that rose and said they didn’t want unchecked powers such as a monarchy or fascist state to dictate law and policies to them. Each was to have an equal say in what laws where established to rule their daily lives. It is the consensus of the many, rather than the will of one or a few that brings order and peace.

You might site the Romans, the Greeks, the English Magna Carta, but it was not until America’s founding that lessons learned from the past were so eloquently fused together.

This is a country where an unknown person, can be lifted into the most powerful and influential office in the world. Despite what you may think, that is what the office of President entails, and it has achieved that status because it steers the course of the massive economic, scientific, military, and humanitarian engines behind it.

This is the country that has born countless new industries, sent men to the moon, shed blood repeatedly on foreign shores in the name of freedom, and extended provisions of all sorts to the destitute and starving masses around the world. It’s this country that opens its doors blindly and without prejudice to those who are willing to make a good life for their families. It is this country that says You, as an individual, have the right to work in the job you want, live where you want, worship Whom and when you want, and pursue a good life full of happiness and prosperity. It is this country that allows those accused of criminal actions, to sit before a court of peers and tell his side of the story rather than face summary judgment without defense.

You may think I am spouting off political rhetoric, so I’ll include some real life experiences to help you understand my point of view. You see, for a while, I began to be worn down by the ideas that, America is the aggressor. It is America that bullies its way around the world and blows stuff up with out reflection. I never believed that, but I sheepishly ask a 19 year old Iraqi if he thought it was wrong for us to invade.

I’ll never forget his look of surprise as he said, “No, no, no! America is our Mother! She takes care of us.” He went on to tell me how he and his family were glad for what happened, despite the harsh realities of war. He continued to tell me how Saddam’s sons were notorious for breaking into houses in the middle of the night, just to rape and kill women. He told me some very horrific stuff, the stuff that is often down played by commentators and analyst. And through the whole time he talked about these horrors, not once did he mention his own misfortunes. It was his older brother that made him lift up his shirt and show me his back.

You see, one night my 19 year old friend was sleeping when some militants kicked down the door in order to execute his older brother. Fortunately, the brother wasn’t there that night, but unfortunately they took it out on my young friend. They blind folded him, kicked and punched him relentlessly, then took a bare steel 1 inch cable whipped him across his back several times. I think there were at least 10 to 12 deep tissue scars running across his back, each one approximately 5 to 10 inches long. The assault ended with them placing a gun to his head and telling him he was going to die in 5 seconds, then the left him there, half dead, blind folded, and scared. I didn’t hear this “propaganda” from FOX news, CNN, or Rush Limbaugh. I heard straight from the source. They survived by sneaking into Syria soon after and asked for asylum at the U.S. Embassy. It was obviously granted, and despite what he suffered, he loves this country.

Going back to my college days, I had a hard time relating to my Ethiopian roommate who told stories of living in poverty and the clan wars that constantly plagued his child hood. I remember him telling me how he was talking to a friend of his when a rival “gang/ clan” member walked up and killed him with a machete. My roommate somehow made it to L.A. where he lived for a few years before getting a scholarship (free money) for college. He loves America too.

Another friend of mine was from Communist China. He used to tell of how strict it was and how fortunate he was for getting over here. He told stories of his friends being arrested and imprisoned for frivolous things such as having a Bible study. He used to cry when he realized he would never be allowed to go back and see his mom again. Regardless, he loved America too.

I also remember a college professor of mine and how his demeanor changed as he told us how his brother died because he was put on a waiting list in the Canadian health system. I don’t recall what the surgery was, but is fairly routine (kidney replacement or gallbladder) He was convinced that his brother would be alive had they lived in America.

Granted, I have listed some rather extreme examples, so let’s talk about some more civilized countries and more recent events. I’ve known a Dutchmen that came here because he wanted to be a commercial pilot. The government there, rules and regulations, are so strict and cost prohibitive that he couldn’t do it. It would cost him approximately 3 times the amount as it did here, and even then their regulations are so strict that he was not guaranteed a chance to try to get a job.

In the past few months, I’ve met some English folks. They are extremely nice and they genuinely love their country. Despite this, they are disgusted with how their government is buckling to the demands of minority groups and allowing things that were unheard of just a generation ago. They told of mosques and muslims not just existing, but saturating parts of London to the point that they don’t recognize where they grew up. A government that has cowered to a point that allows Shiria Courts to rule within and autonomously from the British Legal system.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/34373/Muslim-courts-are-here-already

As bad as it is there, they say France is even worse. I’ve never been to France, but I’ve heard from multiple sources who have been there that they have a certain amount of disdain for us because they think we are arrogant. All I can say to that is I have a great uncle who was so arrogant that he went over to fight for that country and drew his last breath on French soil. I never had the chance to meet him.

I spoke once to an Australian who felt like his country was being neutered due to gun control, and I’ve known people from Eastern Europe, India, Polynesia, Micronesia, South and Central Americas. I have yet to be convinced that there is a better place than here.

On a more personal note, I’ve seen an “undocumented alien” crash head on into a truck while he was smuggling 14 people into our country. I looked into his eyes while he was dying and despite the fact that he was a coyote involved in human trafficking, our E.M.S. units provided first class medical treatment to him as evidenced by the Life Flight helicopter that took him the best trauma center in the area. Despite the fact that he was getting paid $3,000 dollars a person to smuggle them here, not one had insurance and they all gave false names to the medical staff. One even had a moderate to severe infectious disease that was airborne. Despite this and risking their own health, the hospital staff treated him with the respect they would give to anyone else.
I received multiple phone calls from insurance agents, city governments, and hospitals when it was concluded. It was estimated by one person that this one incident cost almost 1 million dollars by time all of the emergencies services (helicopters (2), fire trucks, police, tow services, medical exams, and extended hospitalizations for the 4 or 5 critically injured and the rest of the moderately injured to be cared for). I don’t begrudge these people, but I have seen first hand the consequences of their actions.

And finally, I’ve seen my friends, engineers, nurses, and physician’s assistants, volunteer to go unpaid on medical ships for 3 months where they had to pay for their own room and board. They did this in order to help people in 3rd world nations who have no doctors or hospitals.

Now I’ve written a rather extensive explanation as to why I think this is the Greatest country on earth. I’m sorry to carry on, and I’m not angry believe it or not, but I want you to understand my perspective. You see, I believe that America is the shining example of what the world should aspire to be. That said, we have departed in recent years from the values and traditions that have helped to make this nation great. Even so, enough remains that I must contend there is no greater place on earth. If there is, prove it! I concede that there are other countries that espouse similar values to ours, and those have been reflected through humanitarian, military, and political means. However, today on the anniversary of our independence, I will not back down for the sake of being polite.

I do not mean to degrade other nations, their struggles for freedom, or their contributions. To each, I’m sure their love of country is just as strong, and they could offer their own arguments. Ban me if you need too. But I’ve seen pot heads spout out crap here, money lusters (no not you ) rant on about how to get rich, and other banter go unaddressed in this forum. I’ve not mentioned politics, just life experience and my perspective of my country. This is not meant to anger you Russ, just to point out why I feel the way I do. All respect is intended.

Regardless,

Happy Fourth of July and God Bless America!

Many Americans prefer to see the world through rose colored glasses. What they fail to realize is that those glasses are tinted by the blood, sweat, and tears of those who love freedom

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
MJ - Thanks for posting this. I can honestly say that I have never read this in its entirety until now. Thanks!

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I agree with you and I tried to be careful not to say Americans, but rather America as a country. Every society (nation) has people within that epitomize the best of humanity. Conversely, those same societies occasionally have the undesirables.

As a whole, I believe Americans are great people, but may not be easily distinguished from other nationalities at the personal level. Our system of government is, for now, the best in the world. Our people are resilient and have many great attributes. My fear is that as time passes, those qualities are fading. That's why in my original post I stated that now is the time to work hard. I'm afraid that if we don't, we will continue to lose ground in academics, morals, and overall achievements which are essential to keep this nation's status as a world leader.

Thanks for helping to clarify that point.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Sparlin-

I appreciate your taking the time-- and care-- to articulate your feelings on this.

I do feel a bit sheepish, as my quick comments above really didn't mean what you thought I was saying.

Here's what I was trying to say:

We all have pride in our own countries.

I would never want to belittle-- or lessen-- or degrade-- anyone else's country, or their pride in their homeland-- by saying mine is "the best".

Not sure if that makes any sense.

It was more out of respect for others, than anything else.

-Russ H.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I am still so incredibly inspired everytime I read the Declaration. What most of us don't realize are the conditions these most brave men wrote this document under.... the excruciating circumstances of losing friends and family to war, and virtually unsure if they will even win the war, losing their fortunes, incomes, farms, etc.... these men were truly battered unlike anything we would ever see in modern society. The British army were cruel to their family members... (this document was written in 76, but the war didn't formally end until 1783). under these circumstances it's conceivable to just give up, but our forefathers had such will and determination despite the possibility of being hung for treason against the King of England....

Imagining their strife while staying so selfless in the name of freedom during this period gives me such inspiration beyond words.

G-d Bless the United States of America.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Russ, I think I may need to apologize and back off a little. At first, I did interpret your comment in the light of political correctness. As I began to respond, experiences from over the years came to mind and they were easily included into my comments.

Looking back at your statement, I understand that you are saying every person has a sense of national pride and a reason to love his country. I agree. I guess my post was just an articulation as to why I think this is the greatest country, and it was chance to voice concern over what may become of it.

One thing I have learned is that knowledge assumed to be common often is not. Though you and I may know the merits (and blemishes) of this country, there are others that don't. That includes younger generations of Americans as they grow up in a world lacking many of the references you and I might have.

If nothing else, I enjoyed articulating my patriotism; I hope it wasn't too much at your expense.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I am still so incredibly inspired everytime I read the Declaration. What most of us don't realize are the conditions these most brave men wrote this document under.... the excruciating circumstances of losing friends and family to war, and virtually unsure if they will even win the war, losing their fortunes, incomes, farms, etc.... these men were truly battered unlike anything we would ever see in modern society. The British army were cruel to their family members... (this document was written in 76, but the war didn't formally end until 1783). under these circumstances it's conceivable to just give up, but our forefathers had such will and determination despite the possibility of being hung for treason against the King of England....

Imagining their strife while staying so selfless in the name of freedom during this period gives me such inspiration beyond words.

G-d Bless the United States of America.

Oh yeah, I really wish people would take the time to read a little bit about the revolution.

The British army at that time was if not the finest in the world, one of the best. They were the worlds big superpower at the time. Their army was very well lead, and very well equiped. Their soliders enjoyed good food, good rifles, and good equipment. The British navy rulled the waves and their army enjoyed the fact that they could hit and run, or hide in coastal forts under the protection of the navel guns.

OTOH our soliders put up with the harshest conditions imaginable. They were usualy starved, sick, naked, with only a little ball and powder. Yet they put up with it for years. They were also never paid a cent...

The British were also SOB's that wouldn't hesitate to kill a rebal in a very gruesome manner. Every person who signed the decleration knew that they signed a death warrent on not only their head, but their family and friends as well. If they lost they knew that they would be hung, their family killed, daughters/wifes raped, property taken/burned, friends would be imprisoned and tortured, than killed, etc. Also remember that most of them were very well off, or down right wealthy. They didn't have much to gain personaly from doing this.

So they did do it for freedom, their was no personal material gain to be had.

Americans really should study this period more, if they do they may understand better what makes this country so special. Also how much suffering went into gaining them freedoms that so many seem to take for granted today.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Index of Signers by State

you can click on each and every one of these signers to see what happened to them after the revolutionary war ended. Many became politicians and some succeeded in new ventures, but many lost everything and died broke.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.