The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello Fastlane Members! My quick intro here...

Denis@akrosfit

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 27, 2024
Alberta, Canada
My name is Denis. I live in Alberta, Canada, with my wife and two kids. We moved to Canada 14 years ago.

I call myself an immigrant pro, as I have immigrated to the USA and lived in NJ for 4.5 years. After spending some time back in my home country, I returned to N. America, to Canada. It was not a smooth ride, but it was worth it.

I tried a few entrepreneurial gigs before. I bought trucks and cars for export to China, I have done Amazon FBA; and I traded stocks online for a bit. At the same time, I was working in oil and gas up north in Alberta. None of the businesses I tried were viable or provided enough to support my family.

In 2017 or so, I read Unscripted and it was clear to me that working the job would never be enough for me. Being away from home for 2-4 weeks at a time, there is no real schedule, and industry booms and busts really do not support long-term steady income. But after reading the book and understanding the math limitations of trading time for money, I was sure that I needed a business to get ahead. I think that this book is sort of a red pill. I could not go back to the mindset of an employee any more. There should be a disclaimer on the front page - "Read at your own risk of never enjoying being an employee ever again." LOL

I read the other 2 books and continued to go back to different chapters and chain read them all the time to stay on track and motivated. In my head, I started looking for people's problems and developing possible solutions.

In 2019, things got so bad for me with work that I was forced to start moving things along. It was my rock bottom point, I guess. I even got my car ready for Uber and opened a driver account)))) in case nothing got better.

At about the same time, I opened a Shopify account and, in a couple of months, launched www glampingdomestore com. In May 2020, as COVID start really shutting down jobs and travel, I got my first sale. In July 2020, with more sales, I asked my dispatch to lay me off and concentrated on the sales.

I use dropshipping business model, the only one possible for me at the time without much money to invest. I invested only my time and "elbow grease," as Mark Cuban says.))) I understand that the dropshipping model is not ideal as it lacks control over production. This business was profitable for every one of the 4 years, with an average revenue of 200,000.00 CAD a year. And it allowed me to stay home during COVID!

In 2022 my sales declined as I raised my prices. I got less sales, but made more profit. Additional advertising and promotions did not yield more sales volume. Competition has started to be more of a problem. As I got less busy, I felt like I should go back to work. I took a job in oil sands with a 2-week on, 2-week off schedule. This allowed me to get some steady income and also run the business. My wife also got involved and can now answer calls and emails when I am not available.

When I started, I had to deal with very raw products from the supplier, without a good installation manual and often manufacturing deficiencies. Now it's gotten a lot better. I feel like right now may be a good time to offer the product to a wider public . I have sent an offer/application to a couple of big box retailers and am right now waiting to hear back. I know it is quite hard to get in.

If anybody here at the forum has questions about the dome structures or glamping, please do not hesitate to ask. Over the course of 4 years, we gained pretty good experience and expertise in geodesic domes and glamping, campgrounds, permitting, etc.

As I mentioned before, dropshipping is not a very strong business model, and this means I am still in search of an idea that can make enough to set me free. I think I have one. And this is what I am here for. But this is a topic for a whole separate post.

Thank you all who read my intro, and you are welcome to comment!! I am really looking forward to it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum Denis, great to have another person in the trenches and getting things done.

Denis@akrosfit

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 27, 2024
Alberta, Canada
Welcome to the forum Denis, great to have another person in the trenches and getting things done.
Thank you, MJ! I really appreciate you sending a message. I have just finished my intro and am getting on the Must Read threads now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...