What's new

Hello from a semi successful 'job proxy' entrepreneur.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Simonz

New Contributor
Hi there

Some while ago I started selling 2nd hand books on Amazon to make some extra cash. It worked better than I expected. That was the start of a kind of FTE where I realised there was something there I couldn't let go of. Meanwhile I had been freelancing doing video production and editing which was a legacy of me trying to 'do what you love' - which of course, in reality, ended up being me working on a lot of shitty corporate projects eeking out a living to pay the rent however I could.

In 2020 me and my family moved to a hugely cheaper part of the UK and erased any mortgage. I took a driving temp job during the Covid time and knucled down on the side hustle of publishing stationery I designed on Amazon that I had been piddling around with for over 2 years.

It took off in 2021 and now brings in a modest full time income. This income misses the crucial ones of CONTROL & ENTRY as its tied to Amazon and they can theoretically get rid of me and I am at the mercy of their algorithm (so its essentially a 'job proxy' in a way). But it absolutely crushes it in the TIME factor - In fact in some peak seasons it sold 6000 books and I didn't lift a finger for it to happen and I have learnt that once a book has nearly 2 years of sales rank history on Amazon it is somewhat protected. In its own way this effort worked because, in however small a way, the stationery I designed gives value. So MJ is right about that no doubt. It may only be a nice gift but people write in reviews 'my nephew loved this and it made his day' etc. Anyone can upload stuff to KDP but i guess the 'value' such as it is - is bound up with my years design and experience coming up with visual ideas

Due to the massive difference in house prices we were also able to buy a small rental property - and this by itself pays most utility and food bills. No plans to expand this to multiple properties. If anything i'm looking for other realistic ways to invest the money than rental.

None of this exactly conforms to what MJ De Marco is talking about in unscripted. In fact, by some peoples standards I am probably living in 'poverty'. I don't have much clue about using investments. In fact in many ways i'm still not the best at managing money but somehow i've managed to fumble my way this far to a degree of freedom where I actually feel pretty lucky and have much scope for improving things.

.And one thing he's definitely right about - getting this far has been fired by a meaning and purpose to create some life that isn't the slave of bills and 'high maintenance life and allows me time to take my son to school rather than be rushing around in the rat race - and to pursue some projects that will deliver value in the world but will never bring in much money (and as he advises .. for some things it better if they stay that way).

I'm here to consolidate things more and get at least a bit more real about some aspects of financial management and investments- in terms of mindset etc. I don't currently see myself selling a software company for 2 million. (with some more work over the next 3-5 years what I already have could , at a push be sold for 950k which is enough... but there's more work to be done to verify that)

Also it does seem that life in the UK really can be cheaper. I have previously lived fairly humbly but comfortably on less than $30,000 per year which apparently would be considered 'poverty' in some of USA. Never owned a sport car and no desire to either. Simple tastes other than coffee and books. I'm essentially kind of capitalist hippie' that tries to look after my health - looking to clarify more precisely how that balance of 'capitalist' and 'hippie' plays out.

I'm not sure i'm 100% Mj's target demographic but I liked a lot of what he said in Unscripted and appreciated the 'wake up' tone even if probably gets a lot of peoples' backs up.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Tuapft moli zua'si ximm up zuas xez vu dsievoph e mogi zua dep ci jeqqz xovj. OUX, zua'si ugg vu e hsiev tvesv, ximduni vu vji gusan.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

More Intros...

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom