What's new

Hello from Dallas, TX -- 1st post, mid TMF journey, read book a while ago

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Jayemes

New Contributor
Hi all,

I read TMF in late 2011. I'm very mathy, so MJ's mathematical argument for becoming wealthy instantly hit home. The world is exponential, but most people think linearly.

At the time I was working as an Engineer at a big company you've certainly heard of. I had a masters degree in Engineering from the best school in my field, a 2 year old and another on the way and had been working out how to escape my boring, but well paying job for a while. My wife did not want me to quit -- as you might imagine. I was in an enviable position and had a lot to lose she basically would tell me. I understood her position, but I'm pretty sure I've only got one life to live and if I spent 20 years working a job I didn't want that didn't help me meet my goals it would be my own damn fault.

I had made some websites in 2009. Was able to rank #1 for some competitive and valuable terms by 2010 and I started selling SEO services in late 2010. However, I wasn't making quit-your-well-paying-job kind of money. I shut down my SEO services company after about a year because I wasn't positioned very well and, despite getting results for my clients, ran the math on scaling up and it just didn't make sense.

In March of 2012, I decided I could not take it any longer and quit my job. I had savings and a website that was making about $1k/month. I decided to focus on that website because I knew there was a bunch more opportunity there. In April I got Google slapped and my income and traffic dropped by 90%.

Oh well. You get knocked off the horse. You get back up. Eventually the horse will take you there.

I then started studying success heavily -- Jim Rohn, Napoleon Hill, Earl Nightingale, etc. This stuff is great. I have committed to lifelong learning.

I also restarted selling SEO services, but instead focused on serving my local market. I really had no idea where to start, so I purchased some resources on how to help my local market. It was OK, but I needed a lot of work on selling.

Also, they packaged it with an SEO reseller program. We sold the services marked up and they fulfilled them. Not a good model because it did not give my customers good value. Yes, the SEO services worked...eventually if you're not going after a competitive market.

I knew there was a better way and it was to manage/serve my customers directly -- better prices and better service = more value for my customers.

So, I sought out how to be great at SEO. It was not easy, but late last year I became friends with a guy who had ranked sites for super competitive terms. And not ranked as in #7, but #1 for a lot of stuff. He showed me all of his most advanced techniques. I thought I was about a 6-7 in my SEO skills before I met him. Then I realized I was about a 2-3.

Immediately, I started getting better results (starting December-January). And in March my business took a sharp turn for the positive. My clients are happy. I'm happy because I see so many business owners getting poor information or paying a bunch of money for no results. My business is growing and so am I. I go to work every day with a smile on my face and pep in my step!
:)

There's a terrible idea that people who are training internet marketers say to convince them to sell even when they're not very good. The idea is that you know more than your customer and that makes you the expert -- "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King." Bullshit. I've taken 3 biology courses in college. Do you want me performing brain surgery on you?

Anyway, I am now trying to scale my business up and was thinking about small business resources and remembered this forum and MJ's book. So, I thought I'd come here and try to get better at running and scaling up a business. Hopefully I learn a thing or 2 or 100.

Any suggestions on favorite threads would be appreciated.

I can finally see my path to my goals pretty clearly. I'm sure I will need to adjust my path 100x more, but at least I have direction. Before, when I started I had no idea where the path was or what it looked like or what to expect.

Whew. If you read all that, here's a cookie!

Thanks and have a great day,
David

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Ximduni, Fewof! Hsiev Opvsu. Epf zit, vjisi esi vjuti jisi xju dep/xomm figopovimz opvsufadi zua fu tuni hsiev vjsieft up TIU epf iDunnisdi op hipisem.

~ epuvjis Femmet Getvmepis,

Komm

ximduni (gsun e gusnis Femmet haz) epf huuf sief.

pux,

xjevt egvis TIU?
xjev esi zua huoph vu fu piyv?

ximduni (gsun e gusnis Femmet haz) epf huuf sief.

pux,

xjevt egvis TIU?
xjev esi zua huoph vu fu piyv?

Uj, O'n tvomm xusloph vji TIU epf uvjis simevif opvispiv neslivoph edvowovoit!

O giim moli nz kuaspiz ot moli vszoph vu qatj e nettowi cuamfis. Ecuav 25% ug vji xusl ot katv hivvoph vji cumfis vu tvesv nuwoph. O'wi katv tvesvif vu hiv nz cuamfis vu tvesv nuwoph!

"Egvis TIU" OT tvomm qsivvz ges exez.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom