What's new

Hello from the Upper Midwest...Introducing myself & my story

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Cloaked_Isotope

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
As the snow starts to fly up here, I figured it was a good time to start participating on the Forum. I am not much of a story teller, nor do I like sharing about myself, but I suppose this is necessary step.

I grew up with that entrepreneurial itch. It all started in elementary school when I would make and sell finger snowboards out of paper and glue (think tech deck) for classroom money. Then I began trading other teachers' money for more rare teacher currency. By age 12, I opened a stock trading account in my mother's name and made a few pretty successful trades over the next few years.

Fast forward to High School. I hustled kids by selling memory cards for their phones convincing them they needed the highest capacity. I made money by taking up lunch trays. On a more serious note, I ran a successful eBay business out of my bedroom with boxes, shipping materials and inventory stacked to the ceiling. Anything to avoid the conventional retail job. Unfortunately, my margins were eventually squeezed too tight to make a profit.

I decided to get back into stock trading with the money I had made and began making money trading distressed mortgage insurers, Pharma companies with phase 3 testing failures, and companies on the brink of bankruptcy. This was 2007-2008.

Now for the grim part. I became overconfident in my trading abilities and convinced my parents to lend me a large sum of money to begin day-trading during the summer. Despite my success paper trading, one cannot know the emotions that come into play when dealing with real money-especially money that was not mine. I began to double down to make up losses and eventually went below the minimum threshold to day-trade. Got numerous warnings from my broker to stop trading, and my parents had no idea what the phone messages were about. I reassured them that everything was alright. Because I could no longer day-trade, I was stuck in a position with nearly all the capital I had left. I was convinced that come the company's next earnings release, I would make back everything I had lost. I was right. However, greed set in and I hung on for more gains. We are talking a lot of money for a high school student. Then, the catastrophic meltdown in October 2008. The company lost over 70% of its value in a couple weeks, yet I still held on out of fear, out of hope.

That sequence of events was the single most humbling experience of my life. Having to own up to my parents was soul crushing. Literally made me want to hibernate in my room all day, not sleep, and think about how much of a failure I was. It is notable that the sum I borrowed was a lot for my family. However, I had convinced them that their principal was safe, and I only needed it as collateral to day-trade with my own money. This was true right up until I began trading and realized the potential I had with 4x leverage. Effectively, I had lied, and this was what hurt most.

I eventually worked myself out of the funk equipped with the best learning opportunity money can buy (by losing it). I was able to attend a good college, graduate with a marketable degree, and am currently consulting in a large corporation making a good wage. I have nothing to complain about, but I know I will not be fulfilled and achieving my greatest potential without pursuing that entrepreneurial drive. I am too easily susceptible to the comfort I have because my appetite for risk scares me at times.

I am hoping to overcome that here, and provide value wherever I can. Thanks for listening, and my best to all!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom