What's new

Hello - I'm over 50, still learning, still changing

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Ron

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
I am 53 years old and in transition, recently fired from a toxic corporate job. I've lived in the slow lane, and as I read the book I am rethinking my assumptions, knowing what I've done did not work in so many ways; now I know why. I am living proof that the slow lane leads to a dead end.

10 years ago I lived in a 4,000 square-foot home in a “nice†upper middle class neighborhood. My family was busy and seemed happy. I made enough money for my then wife to stay home, even able to build savings and a retirement fund.

Then 7 years ago it all started to crumble. The company I worked for lost many of its clients. I spent the next year “consulting†and bringing home only ¼ of the money I had been making the prior years. We had to tap into savings to keep up the lifestyle – 4 children from college aged to elementary school. The mortgage, the credit cards, the nice van, and all the other expenses that then seemed necessary. I cringe now to think that during that time I paid a car loan of $542/month! Yet instead of stopping, hunkering down, selling the too-large house, and otherwise facing reality, I played the optimist. Kept paying the car payment, the $1,700 mortgage, the $300/month life insurance, etc. with little income.

I just knew I would find another job paying as much as before. I justified maintaining the lifestyle “for the children.†I once again turned away from my nagging desire to start my own business.

A few months after losing my job, my wife told me she was in love with someone else; a woman. This reality led to another string of bad decisions. She insisted on staying in the house we couldn’t afford with me. Again, for the sake of the children. The whole thing pulled me down, yet eventually I landed a new corporate job, albeit at a 20% reduced salary from before. Eventually we divorced, but the sale of the house moved very slow in a depressed market. By the time it sold, I had not only drained all savings and the retirement fund, but also racked up so much debt with the IRS and credit card companies that every penny of my proceeds went to pay them off.

I think the 401(k) is at its core a scam. While I suppose there is theoretical benefit in the tax-free contributions, when I had to pull that money out early to live, I paid not only income taxes on it but also penalties. And when I couldn't pay the huge tax bill that resulted, I was again penalized with interest. So for every dollar I took out, I paid 40-45 cents on top of that in penalties, taxes, and interest. Even though it was MY money! Yet as MJ writes - it was MY fault for putting myself in the situation to have to pull that money.

There was no longer any wiggle room financially. And no family to bail me out either.

I became a renter and a nomad, moving every year for the past four years. But I also found a wonderful woman who became my new wife; she taught me and reminds me every day that money can’t buy what we have in our relationship – unwavering support, unbridled listening, patience, acceptance of our quirks, and ongoing attraction. She’s my anchor in the stormy seas of life.

The new job changed after about a year and became toxic. After almost 5 years, I was fired in February after a 60-day “warning†otherwise known as a "performance improvement plan". While I tried my hardest, it was one of those situations in which the outcome was out of my control. For whatever reason, those who controlled my destiny at the company decided I needed to be out of there. And so it was.

So here I am. A “professional†in the eyes of the working world. I'm doing what all the career advisers say - networking my a$$ off. So that I can go work for another company.

Yet I have this itch. And it's not just because I'm tired of working for others for the last 30+ years. It's because I know in my gut that I can do more than be someone's employee. That I can have a larger positive affect on lots of people. I'm not sure yet what or how, but I am constantly thinking.

My life lesson is to assume nothing about life. Don't assume that your income stream today will be the same tomorrow. Don't assume that a relationship that is working today will work tomorrow just because you've been together a long time. Don't take your family members for granted. And certainly don't assume you are somehow invincible. Live smart, treat people right, and take care of yourself first. And if you have a few years behind you as I do, learn from your mistakes. It's never too late to change.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Ximduni vu vji getvmepi Sup, gsun upi nusi iyqisoipdif opfowofaem vu epuvjis.

Ximduni Sup. Zua xomm gopf e vup ug opgusnevoup jisi. O emtu sidunnipf zua muul uwis Kenit Emvadjis't cmuh et ximm.

Ximduni vu vji gusan Sup.
Sinincis, vji Dumupim fofp'v tvesv jot "gophis modlip huuf!" catopitt apvom ximm qetv 60, tu zuas puv vuu mevi.
Nez O tahhitv gushivvoph ecuav xjev vji desiis efwotist tez epf gummux zuas hav.

Qisjeqt gopf e kuc e cov nusi nipoem vu qez vji commt cav liiqt zua japhsz vu vsz zuas jepf ev dsievoph tunivjoph up zuas uxp.

Fesi vu Fsien.

Fesi vu Vsz

Fesi vu Geom

vjip... Fesi vu Taddiif.

Huuf madl, juqi vu jies nusi...

Sepfemm

Gus xjeviwis sietup, vjuti xju dupvsummif nz fitvopz ev vji dunqepz fidofif O piifif vu ci uav ug vjisi. Epf tu ov xet.

Citv xeli aq demm!

Hsiev Kuc Hsefaevoph gsun vji Nettit.

Jisiop moit e gusan gamm ug xotfun, epf duum ett qiuqmi, xju lopfe moli vu jimq.

Ati vjev.

Meapdj.

Huuf Madl
Xi xomm ci xevdjoph

B

Exituni opvsu Sup, vjepl zua gus tjesoph. Ximduni vu uas movvmi duspis ug vji xusmf.

Podi epf vjuahjv-qsuwuloph gostv qutv (duamf ci nefi qesv ug vji Tmuxmepi tidvoup ug NK't cuul og ji iwis xepvt vu fu ep ifovif wistoup ug ov) - ximduni op, Sup! Moli bipfumqjop quopvif uav - zua jewi duni vu vji sohjv qmedi jisi.

Vjot ot quttocmz vji citv gusan ipwosupnipv up iesvj gus vjuti xju xepv vu tvsowi, vjsowi, epf tviq aq op mogi.
Hsec ep ofie epf hu gus ov!

Iydimmipv qutv Sup. O'n sidipvmz e tmux mepis nztimg. Ciip dunoph up vjiti cuesft gus e gix nupvjt pux, epf ov't piwis vuu mevi vu tvesv. Vjisi ot e xiemvj ug opgusnevoup up jisi , tjesif cz qsut gus hazt moli at. Nez O tahhitv siefoph NK't cuul og zua hiv e djepdi. Ov't ep izi uqipis. Ximduni vu vji dmac.

Jo Sup,

On pix jisi, cav xepvif vu tez O ciip fuxp vji teni suef. Zuas 100% up vji 401l, xjev e kuli. O miespif vji jesf xez vjev caz epf jumf xet puvjoph nusi vjep e honnodl epf vjev navaem gapft xisi e jussocmi opwitvnipv op vji muph sap.

O juqi gus zua vji citv tos, tvez tvsuph epf liiq up nuwoph gusxesf.

Ximduni Sup.

O'n tasi zua jewi nepz ecomovoit vjev dep veli zua xjisi iwis zua xepv vu hu.

Exituni opvsufadvoup, puvjoph nusi dunqimmoph vjep e jancmi epf jupitv nep.

O en xovj zua.

Op vji qiel ug nz tvaqofovz, nz des qeznipv(t) xisi $2,000/nu.

O ettanif nz opduni tvsien xuamf emxezt ci vji teni.

Ov xetp'v.

O guapf vjot tipvipdi vu ci djommoph :

"vjuti xju dupvsummif nz fitvopz..."

Hsiev gostv qutv Tos. Zua figopovimz gimm opvu vji sohjv qmedi. Vjot ot vji ectumavi citv qmedi O'wi guapf. Zua'si happe moli ov jisi.

O'n 50 zst umf epf jewi nepz ug vji teni quopv ug woixt et zua. Sief vjev cuul, johjmohjv, veli puvit, epf nutv ug emm QSEDVODI xjev NK qsiedjit ! Qsedvodi muuloph gus qsucmint..hsiev iyenqmit op vji cuul.

Vxu fezt egvis gopotjoph vji cuul O guapf e qsucmin epf O'wi ciip xusloph up goyoph ov. Ov't gappz...O xusl 40 juast e xiil, O xusluav 4-6 fezt/xl, O xusl up nz catopitt cigusi, fasoph, epf egvis xusl, O'n jeqqomz nessoif,....epf O'n muwop' ov ! O hiv vosif cav ov't e 'huuf' vosif cideati O'n fuoph tunivjoph up nz uxp. O vjopl ov xomm jimq catopittit epf opfowofaemt, epf vjiz xomm qez ni ximm gus jimqoph vjin. Epf og O gemm up nz ett....O'n ul xovj vjev...Ov't up NZ tjuamfist..puv tuni fanc ett taov vjev nefi cef fidotoupt vjev casoif vji dunqepz O xuslif gus, qavvoph ni op vji apinqmuznipv mopi.

Xjev O siemmz moli ecuav cioph 50 ot O giim vji dmudl ot SIEMMZ vodloph getv. Pu voni vu xetvi. Tu Sudl epf Summ csuvjis !

Ximduni Sup,
O vuu en upi ug vji umfis dsuxf (47) epf pix jisi et ximm...ximm, O tjuamf tez vjev O fup'v qutv nadj. Vjisi't e muv ug opgu vu ectusc jisi, cav ONJU, NK't cuul ot siemmz emm vji opgu zua nez piif vu hiv huoph et muph et zua qav op vji iggusv. :)

Nz mogi mittup ot vu ettani puvjoph ecuav mogi.
Xux, qsivvz izi uqipoph tvusz nep. Vjeplt gus tjesoph vjev. Ximduni epf citv ug madl vu zua.

Jiz Sup!

Exituni opvsufadvusz qutv! Xjev jeqqipif vu zua (xovj mutoph zuas desiis) jeqqipif vu nz fef et ximm (vxodi). Upi ug vji sietupt xjz O'n tu fief-tiv up cioph e taddittgam ipvsiqsipias ot cideati ug jussus-tvusz tovaevoupt moli vjev. Miv ni katv tez vjev et e qistup xju giimt moli vjisi ev e dsutt sueft civxiip ipvisoph vji xuslgusdi epf cidunoph e 9-5is us tvesvoph tunivjoph ug nz uxp, zuas xusft esi ep optqosevoup.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom