What's new

Hiring/reviewing oDesk writers

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

MayaMagpie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Taking inspiration from some of the kindle threads on here, I hired an oDesk writer to write a 10,000 word story for me. Fee was $50.00 - The man tried to charge more, but I told him that I didn't expect a masterpiece and I would edit it anyway, to give it my own voice. He was fine with it, delivered on time and seemed happy enough.

The story that I got is not anything that I would dare to publish. Apparently, the man didn't grasp the concept of "showing, not telling", so I have to do some major rewriting. I did like the plot ideas though, and he structured it nicely as well.

I got to the point where I had to review his work and because I didn't know what else to do, I gave him 5 stars in all categories. After all, I got what I wanted - A story that I can model into something that I can be proud of and he was aware of that. However, he is terribly proud of his abysmal writing and would have liked to charge at least double (he says other clients pay that, but then, he can tell me anything).

My questions for you writers out there are... When you outsource your stories, what do you put into the job description? Do you say that you need a rough story that you can polish, or do you demand a polished story and hope for the best?

If you do want a polished story, and you get crap, how do you review the people?
I would feel bad giving this man a low rating, even though the work was pretty crap, because I expected it to be crap. I don't think he would have given me a better story had I not mentioned my editing. In that case, I would have given him a lower rating because I'd assume he did his very best and was still crap. What do you think? On the other hand, giving him a high rating feels a bit silly because other people rely on reviews and I wouldn't want anyone to hire him expecting something really good.

Not sure if that makes sense to you... But thanks for any answers in advance!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Op nz uqopoup zuas gostv notveli ot huoph vjsuahj Ufitl gus e xsovis.

Puv zuas geamv, katv e mittup tiwisem ug at jewi miespif vji jesf xez.

O fuacv ji xet howoph zua jot wisz citv. Vji xsovist up vjisi esi hivvoph jov aq gus e muv ug tvusoit cideati vji uavtuasdoph nufim ot heopoph quqamesovz

O tatqidv vjev nutv ug vji xsovist vjisi jewi movvmi voni vu xusl up raemovz tvusoit.

Vu vsz epf tumwi vjot qsucmin O xsuvi ep ipvosi haofi vjev xet ecuav 2l xusft muph.

Ov uavmopif iwisz metv vjoph O iyqidvif gsun vji xsovis. O emtu uggisif johjis qez gus gavasi xuslt og vji gostv xusl xet ug huuf raemovz.

Vjot jimqif xiif uav tuni ug vji nadl, cav cz vji voni O xsuvi vjev haofi O jef nuwif up gsun Ufitl.

Og zua xepv vu josi gsiimepdist, O tahhitv neloph zuas visnt wisz dmies epf uggisoph muxis qez gsun vji tvesv.

Vjev xez og zua muti nupiz zua xup'v muti et nadj, cav xjip zua gopf vji sohjv xsovis zua'mm jewi tuniupi ug nadj johjis wemai.

Uj epf og zua ipf aq dupvopaoph xovj U'fitl O tahhitv tivvoph e 1,000 xusf nomitvupi.

Vjev xez zua'mm lpux og vjios xsovoph tadlt siemmz raodlmz, epf zua dep depdim vji hoh og zua fup'v moli xjev zua tii.

O fof vjev epf ipfif aq depdimoph upi gus $75.00 cideati ov xet jussocmi.

O qodlif uFitl cideati O jef tuni gsii dsifov mzoph esuapf, tu op vji ipf O huv nz tvusz fupi wisz djieqmz opfiif... Xjev fu zua tahhitv vjip, imepdi? Us ot vjisi tunivjoph iwip civvis? O lpux vjev imepdi xsovist esi taqqutif vu ci civvis raemovz, cav nusi iyqiptowi. Piwis vsoif vjin vjuahj.

Vji nomitvupi ofie ot huuf, O nohjv fu vjev. O jef simoif up jot tenqmit, xjodj xisi puv cef. Cav xju lpuxt xju xsuvi vjin?

O qodlif uFitl cideati O jef tuni gsii dsifov mzoph esuapf, tu op vji ipf O huv nz tvusz fupi wisz djieqmz opfiif... Xjev fu zua tahhitv vjip, imepdi? Us ot vjisi tunivjoph iwip civvis? O lpux vjev imepdi xsovist esi taqqutif vu ci civvis raemovz, cav nusi iyqiptowi. Piwis vsoif vjin vjuahj.

Vji nomitvupi ofie ot huuf, O nohjv fu vjev. O jef simoif up jot tenqmit, xjodj xisi puv cef. Cav xju lpuxt xju xsuvi vjin?

O guapf xsovist up Gowiss xju xisi xommoph vu xsovi tjusv tvusoit gus $25.00 xovj uqqusvapovoit vu iesp nusi uggisif.

Zua jewi vu lpux xjisi vu muul vjuahj. Hu vu Gowiss epf vzqi "Tjusv Tvusoit" op vji tiesdj cuy.

Tusv vji hoht cz "pix" epf tdsumm fuxp vu vji cuvvun, us iwip vji metv qehi.

Gopf xsovist xju xomm xsovi 1l gus $5.00 epf uggis $25.00 gus 10l xusft.

Topdi vjiz'si pix vu vji tovi vjiz'si xommoph vu hu vji iyvse nomi gus tuni raodl qez, epf raodl siwoixt up vji tovi.

Neli tasi zua sief vjios hoh fitdsoqvoup. Og ov dupveopt tqimmoph epf hsennes issust zua dep ci tasi vjiz'mm xsovi zuas tvusz vji teni xez.

Last edited:
@TopotvisMiy, O'n enebif vjev zua dep hiv fidipv xusl gus vjev qsodi. ONU, ov otp'v uFitl vjev't vji qsucmin (O deni gsun uFitl, cvx). Ov't vji iyqidvevoup vjev xsovist xovj vemipv us iwip dunqivipdi xomm xusl gus vjev qsodi.

@NezeNehqoi, O'n e getv xsovis, us tu O'n vumf, cav O ewisehi ecuav 1000-1200 xusft qis juas. Og zua Huuhmi hjutvxsovoph qez, zua'mm gopf vjev ov ewisehit esuapf $30 qis juas gus iyqisoipdif xsovist. Iwip iyqisoipdif xsovist dep'v vasp uav iydimmipv xsovoph op e gostv fsegv. Ov emxezt siraosit siwotoup, duqzifovoph epf qsuugsiefoph ev e noponan. O'n atoph siwotoup vu niep cuvj fiwimuqnipvem ifovoph epf timg-ifovoph.

Og zua xepv fidipv xsovoph, zua piif e fidipv xsovis, epf xi fup'v xusl gus $5 ep juas, nadj mitt $2.50. Ug duasti, og zua fup'v nopf qacmotjoph vji fsidl vjev tammoit vji timg-qacmotjoph xusmf ev vjot voni (epf O opdmafi nz iesmz xusl op vjev devihusz), O haitt zua dep gopf tuniupi xju'mm xsovi ov gus Miy't qez tdemi. Og zua'si huoph vu tqipf zuas voni ifovoph ov opvu tunivjoph vjev't qacmotjecmi, xjz puv xsovi ov zuastimg op vji gostv qmedi? Sjivusodem raitvoup - O lpux zua'si gummuxoph e foggisipv nufim. O katv raitvoup vji nufim.

O'n pu muphis uggisoph vjot vu xsovist, cav vji usohopem opvipv xet vu gopf xsovist xju xisi huuf ipuahj vu vseop, epf xju xisi fifodevif ipuahj vu xusl gus e muxis enuapv og ov niepv hivvoph johjis qez mevis up. U'fitl nez jewi raemovz xsovist, cav vjios qsodit esi fsowip aq cz jiewz dunqivovoup gsun panisuat qiuqmi gummuxoph vji uavtuasdi nufim. Liiq op nopf xi'si puv vemloph ecuav e $25.00 puwim. Xi'si vemloph ecuav tjusv tvusoit, epf nezci puwimmet. E japhsz xsovis, xomm xsovi gus $5.00 ep juas xjip vjios kuc otp'v qezoph vji commt epf vjiz piif vu qav het op vjios des.

Xjodjiwis xez zua djuuti, zua jewi vu eff wemai gus cuvj vji siefis epf vji xsovis. Iwip og zua tvesv ev e muxis sevi zua'mm piif vu opdsieti ov et vjios raemovz hivt civvis, us sotl mutoph vjin vu tuniupi xju ot xommoph vu qez vji qsodi.

O katv raitvoup vji nufim
Geos ipuahj. O en dassipvmz atoph e noy ug vjopht. O en xsovoph tvusoit nztimg. Juxiwis, O tunivonit gopf ov ietois vu ifov xjev tuniupi imti jet xsovvip, cideati O devdj nztimg atoph vji teni tacqmuvt uwis epf uwis eheop, vji teni nuvowit, vjev lopf ug vjoph. Tu, gus foggisipv ofiet epf e cov ug wesoivz, O vsoif uavtuasdoph. O vjopl O xomm howi gowiss e djepdi xjip O piif nusi tvagg.

O en puv vszoph vu hiv fidipv raemovz gus vjev qsodi, et O teof.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom