The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Holy Scam Batman! (Pricing and Profit Discussion)

A post of a ranting nature...

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Umm dude, that's exactly what you said.
I said. 25% net profit margin. Not that you are not allowed to make more money? Or am I wrong? Edit: Maybe you meant just that. Making more money by higher net profit margin? That's not what I meant.

But for me it's a case by case basis and depends on what market you are in. And what you sell and so on.

This is just me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I said. 25% net profit margin. Not that you are not allowed to make more money? Or am I wrong? Edit: Maybe you meant just that. Making more money by higher net profit margin? That's not what I meant.

But for me it's a case by case basis and depends on what market you are in. And what you sell and so on.

This is just me.
Going to lay this flat out for you. Any retailer only making 25% net profit will inevitably go out of business.

There are a ton of overhead costs. Physical locations and the costs associated with them, stocking fees, legal fees, mandatory health insurance fees, and the list goes on. 25% isn't even close to what they need to make.

I would say as an estimate, 60% would be a minimum ball park. If you look at anything in Wal-Mart or Target, most of the items(95%) are marked up 35% or greater. I say this as a INSIDERS to the retail industry.

Moral high-horses don't make you a ton of money. They stand as barriers.

What's your background? Are you technically in the fast lane?
I know Biophase knows his shit well.

We don't know much of your background.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Going to lay this flat out for you. Any retailer only making 25% net profit will inevitably go out of business.
We (At least I did.) were speaking of companies with net profit per year of 25%. Not for a product. Read the thread.

Moral high-horses don't make you a ton of money. They stand as barriers.
You should ask your self. "Am I proud of the product/s I sell?"

Or even better: "Do I have reasons for being proud of the product/s I sell?"

I respect people more who has morals and think through and reflect on what kind of product they want to produce or sell.

- What kind of image they want to be seen as having.
- How they want to be remembered.

And even if they create something to the greater good of mankind.

Or just sell some me-too product and sell on peoples gullible side or feelings.

Just to make money.

It's not that hard making a lot of money. Just play on peoples ego. You don't have to be a scientist to figure that out.

Finding a product/creating a book or a course or just about everyhing. Which stands every moral test. That's hard for me.

There are millions of examples of products and courses and all kinds of things. Where people just "want to be a producer" because they feel that they want to make "money".

If everyone thought real hard about what suites them instead. And how they will be looked on and rememberd. Then, we would have lower amounts of low quality and quick gimmick products in most markets.

I don't want to point fingers. And say, "this is how it should be done". But I really respect MJ.

And. Not in a a$$ kissing way.

He didn't just ... well... "I got an idea on how I can make money"... well... "I gonna write a book on making money".

No. He had built and sold a company on the Internet for like a couple million dollars. And, then he wanted to share his story and his knowledge. Right?

Most people are not like this. They think "Well. I got an idea". Now "lets make money".

And that counts for everyhing. And 100s of markets. Not just the "make money" and "entreprenuership road".

Like a quite well known copywriter said a few years ago. Or I read it then. He said that you determine your audience. You can say "make" money if you want to play on peoples feelings and egos. Or you can say "earn" money. If you want to be more about the fact that they need to "work" for their "money".

I just did a google search and the copywriters name was Jim Straw. I think that's the guy.

Peace guys.

By the way, are you just selling products to find your self a buyer? Or are you creating something and helping people to the greater good with your product or service?

What's your background? Are you technically in the fast lane?

I have found a quite good fastlane plan now. Which I may try out. It's not really so much fastlane. But it's different and it will help people make more money. I could get the seed money there, needed to get going with my "true" fastlane idea/s.

Last edited:
A

Angus

I've got a stone, you've got an apple.
I offer you my stone in exchange of your apple.
You accept the offer.
Everyone is happy.

That's how it works, no scams or moral issues, you decide.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
To take Geico as an example. They buy lots of TV ads. And I don't think they turned a profit last year. They just want to grow their user-base and win more people over.

Do you honestly think the management and shareholders of Amazon, Geico, etc get together and say "hold on guys and gals, we are approaching 25% profit, let's just grow our user base or make some funny commercials this year to hold back profit."

They are doing these things as strategy to make increasing profits in the future, not for the benefit of mankind or to give you a laugh during the super bowl. You are delusional if you think this is how business operate around this moral magical 25% profit margin.

The kindle is Amazon's pawn in a chess match. What do you think amazon's profit margin is on an ebook they sell?

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Do you honestly think the management and shareholders of Amazon, Geico, etc get together and say "hold on guys and gals, we are approaching 25% profit, let's just grow our user base or make some funny commercials this year to hold back profit."

They are doing these things as strategy to make increasing profits in the future, not for the benefit of mankind or to give you a laugh during the super bowl. You are delusional if you think this is how business operate around this moral magical 25% profit margin.

The kindle is Amazon's pawn in a chess match. What do you think amazon's profit margin is on an ebook they sell?
Where did I say that they did this in a moral way? Stop coming up with things I never said.

Why didn't you quote me on the Amazon thing? Maybe you could figure out that I didn't mean it as in a "moral" way then. I don't even know where you got that from. How st*pid do you think I am?

Last edited:

pro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 5, 2011
Mum's Basement
If this was my forum, I'd censor the domains.
It doesn't set a good precedent to call something a scam that isn't one.
Innocent until proven guilty.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread moved, no way in hell it belongs in the "Fastlane" category. Retagged as well.

Last edited:

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
Sells for $135/piece
View attachment 6079

Sells for .03-.08/piece wholesale, probably $2-10 retail.
View attachment 6080

Perceived value.

Buy the bottom ones and you'll see that "only" about $125 of LUX is perceived value . The ones below really are junk in terms of frame quality, the lenses can be decent if they adhere to minimum standards.

Last edited:

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Buy the bottom ones and you'll see that "only" about $125 of LUX is perceived value . The ones below really are junk in terms of frame quality, the lenses can be decent if they adhere to minimum standards.

So $125 in perceived value instead of $134.50, thanks for clearing that up... :meh:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.