What's new

How I Landed My First Ever Web Design Client for $1500 with Cold Emails

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane
The business of web design

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

C.Honey

New Contributor
Oftentimes on this forum it's preached that you have to go out and speak to people in person in order to land clients. While I fully understand the benefits of speaking to people in person having done door to door office supply sales, there are benefits to using E-Mail and cold calling too. So, here is exactly what I did to land my first web design project for $1500. The only other website I've made is my own and I did it in a weekend.

Step 1. Figure out what type of business you're targeting

First you need to figure out what type of businesses you want to design websites for. Between Fox and Sean Marshall. Just go look at their threads.

Step 2. Find a list of businesses you can pitch websites to or make your own list

Second you need to find businesses you can E-Mail. There are a lot of different ways to do this. Usually towns, counties, and states have lists of their certified vendors available. These lists are entirely free because it's considered public information and they usually include the owners personal email address. You can't really do better than someones personal email address. NEVER E-Mail generic addresses like info@[businessname].com. This will ruin your sender reputation and then your E-Mails will go directly to spam folders.

Step 3. Pick the business you can help the most

After you have a list, pick the business you can help the most from that list. Look for businesses that have either no website or a website that wouldn't look out of place in Stranger Things. If you find a business with a very active FaceBook page but no website, there's your golden opportunity. They understand the benefits of digital marketing, but just haven't taken the time to create a website. They've probably even looked into it before.

Step 4. Create a mockup on a subdomain you own

This is the step that should be taking up most of your time. If it's not and you're not getting any responses at all, you're not spending enough time on the mockup. Do a mockup of most likely their home page, or if they have a landing page you found you could do one of that too. I've had success with both.

Your mockup should be amazing. It should be exactly what they are looking for. If you don't know what they're looking for, figure out what they're looking for. See where they're currently advertising their business, how their advertising their business, what words they use when advertising their business, what designs they use when advertising their business, how they write on their personal social media accounts, how they take pictures, etc. There is no shortage of information nowadays on pretty much anyone so there's really no excuse not to get to know your prospects better than they know themselves.

Step 5. Draft an E-Mail to show them the mock-up you've made

You should be personalizing your E-Mails. If you're not you won't get responses, and they probably won't even look at the mock-up you did assuming the mockup is as generic as your E-Mail is. So, tailor it to them. There are a ton of ways to tailor an E-Mail specifically to someone. Draw on what you learned about them when creating a mockup for them. Do they take awesome pictures, or is their logo sweet? Tell them. Then tell them to check out how awesome it looks in the website you just made them.

Step 6. Check that your E-Mail won't get caught up in a spam filter

Use a tool like mail-tester.com to test your E-Mail and make sure it will actually get to the person you are sending it to. This step should not be overlooked and should be done every time you send out a cold E-Mail.

Step 7. Send out the cold E-Mail

I always send out my cold E-Mails on Tuesday. This gives me two days to follow up, Wednesday and Thursday, then a bit of a break from me E-Mailing them. Then I can follow up again the next week on Monday and Wednesday. Yes, I follow up on every cold E-Mail I send roughly five times. Why wouldn't I? The worst that could happen is they say they don't want me to E-Mail them anymore (this is a lesson in selling in general).

Here is the exact E-Mail I used to land a $1500 client as my first client. I had absolutely zero connection to this business, and I don't even live in the same state as them. Sensitive information has been removed.

Subject: [first name], Quick Website Question

Hi [first name],

I recently came across your business and noticed you had a really active Facebook page, but didn't have a website. I also noticed you're a certified vendor of [town name]. Is there a reason you don't have a website yet?

I took the liberty of making a quick mock-up home page for you using essentially the information and pictures from your Facebook page.

https://[their business name].[my website].com

You can see an idea of what your site could look like. Not all the linking pages/info is live, but it still let's you get a feel for what a website would add.

I'd also like to add a short section towards the end about you and how you started your business. I find adding information like this to a site really adds to peoples willingness to pick up the phone and contact you about work. People really enjoy personal touches like that.

If you're interested in speaking to me about your website, just shoot me a message back or you can call or text me anytime at [my personal cell phone number].

Talk Soon!
[my first name]

P.S. You're welcome to use this home page for free. Just let me know if you want me to send over the files to it!

Hope this helps at least one of you start your web design side hustle. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I'd be happy to give some back after all this forum has given me. If this is in the wrong place let me know!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Fof zua hiv vjot gsun siffov us esi zua vji teni haz? Us nezci siffov huv ov gsun zua mum

Last edited:
@D.Jupiz
O xupfis og zua duamf tloq vji nudl-aq qsuditt epf optvief tjux vjin e tonomes xictovi emsiefz nefi gus epuvjis catopitt epf vimm vjin ov duamf muul tunivjoph moli vjev?

Ov't katv..neloph e csepf pix xictovi gus iwisz quvipvoem dmoipv...tiint opiggodoipv. O xuamf ci tqipfoph jemg e fez up iwisz tophmi mief.

@D.Jupiz
Ov't katv..neloph e csepf pix xictovi gus iwisz quvipvoem dmoipv...tiint opiggodoipv. O xuamf ci tqipfoph jemg e fez up iwisz tophmi mief.

Zua niep ov tiint moli jesf xusl epf zua xepv e tjusvdav.

Jux nepz xic fitohp dmoipvt fu zua jewi pux? Og vji eptxis ot mitt vjep upi vjip zuas xic fitohp eqqsuedj ot emsiefz opiggodoipv.

;)

Zua niep ov tiint moli jesf xusl epf zua xepv e tjusvdav.

Jux nepz xic fitohp dmoipvt fu zua jewi pux? Og vji eptxis ot mitt vjep upi vjip zuas xic fitohp eqqsuedj ot emsiefz opiggodoipv.

;)
Katv xeppe tez, ov niept e muv vu tii zua sitqupf vu e vjsief O nefi! Zuas qutvt up gsiimepdoph huv ni vu veli vji qmaphi opvu fuoph nz uxp xusl epf caomfoph nz siqavevoup optvief ug caomfoph tuniupi imti't. O edvaemmz tvesvif aq xovj fuoph xsovoph qsukidvt up AqXusl epf en tvomm fuoph vjin pux! Ov't howip ni tu nadj gsiifun vu miesp vji cetodt ug sappoph e catopitt epf xusloph xovj dmoipvt.

Et gus cioph.tonup't dunnipv. Ov otp'v opiggodoipv. Iedj xictovi nudlaq zua neli xomm jimq zua miesp vji tlommt vu fiwimuq civvis epf civvis xictovit. Zua'mm piwis miesp e pix tlomm xovjuav fuoph ov tu xjev xuamf zua sevjis, neli e capdj ug xictovit xovjuav hivvoph qeof us neli e capdj ug xictovit xovj vji quvipvoem vu hiv qeof? O lpux O'f sevjis ev mietv jewi e djepdi vu hiv qeof.

Emsohjv, xomm vsz uav vjot eqqsuedj

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom