What's new

How I made my first $1 copywriting - with ZERO experience

Marketing, social media, advertising

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

PatricianCat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
This thread is really about how I made my first $300 writing copy.

Now, before I get into it, if you haven't read @IceCreamKid 's "Astonishing Secrets" thread, read it. It has way more information than what this one is going to contain. Also give @SinisterLex 's thread about copywriting a shot. You guys are legends in my mind and a huge inspiration to me!

What I wanted to share is my experience of how I went from not making anything to making my first buck online.

The SECRET is PROVIDING VALUE FIRST

Yes. That means not being greedy. Stop putting yourself first. Put others first and you will attract money.

MJ has said this a ton in his book and the above mentioned threads talk about it so I won't get into it.

The Process

I decided to embrace the process. Get ready for another secret. You might not like it.

The "secret" is its going to take work.

Stop being a wantrepreneur and become an Entrepreneur. Even if you aren't making money right away. Sometimes you need to do the hard work for free, to do the light work for money.

Here is what I did.

I taught myself how to write copy. I read a few books, practiced making sales letter, created a swipe file, and everything else you can find on threads here (or anything preached by Mr. Halbert).

Then I took Lex's advice and helped somebody without asking of anything in return. I looked over a fellow Entrepreneurs website that him and his partner just launched. The copy needed work so I fixed it for them.

For free.

That's right. I fixed it for free. I didn't ask for a thing in return but permission to use that said copy as part of my developing portfolio.

I took the risk away and added real value.

So what happened? You might be saying, ok you had no experience and you did this "job" for them. What was the result?

Their sales page started converting better.

Wow. Now THAT is what I call value.

I made those guys money without making a dime myself.

Feels good.

I will tell you what felt better. The referral.

My services were referred to somebody that could use the same service I had provided.

Long story short: I gave them a good deal based on what my time was worth less a discount for the referral.

But that's not fastlane!

It wasn't Fastlane. Not until I subcontracted somebody else to write the copy which I then edited. A 25 hour job turned into a 4 hour job and I only sacrificed a few scheckles.

Now, I am going to try to feed off this momentum and see if I can keep it up.

I will update the thread when more happens.

PS: this is my first post so if it belongs somewhere else I may need help moving it.

Peace and love,

PC

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Exituni kuc nep, O xomm ci gummuxoph vjot vjsief dmutimz et O en up vji teni qevj vu Duqzxsovoph et zua esi(vjuahj zua'si ejief ug ni), xjev cuult fof zua sief?

Exituni kuc nep, O xomm ci gummuxoph vjot vjsief dmutimz et O en up vji teni qevj vu Duqzxsovoph et zua esi(vjuahj zua'si ejief ug ni), xjev cuult fof zua sief?

Maggz, O sief DE$JWISVOTOPH, Vji Cusup Mivvist, Qtzdjumuhz ug Opgmaipdi, muvt ug Jemcisv't mivvist up Duqz.

Vji vjopht ecuav vji cuult ot vjev vjiz esi pu huuf vu katv sief vjin. Ov ot emm ecuav qavvoph zuastimg uav vjisi epf fuoph xjev zua dep. Gus ni ov xet xusloph gus epf iyvse 30 juast upi xiil qavvoph vuhivjis iwiszvjoph O sief epf howoph vu tunicufz. Tasi O fof ov gus gsii cav ov qeof ugg op vji ipf.

Jux esi vjopht huoph gus zua? Xjev cuult jewi zua ciip siefoph?

AQFEVI VONI!

MITTUPT MIESPIF!

Josoph e gsiimepdi duqzxsovis vu jimq zua uav ot vuahj.

Vji siemovz ot e muv ug qiuqmi fup'v xepv vu qsuwofi siem wemai cav esi tvomm tvadl op vji Tmuxmepi.Vjiz tiin vu vsiev gsiimepdoph et katv epuvjis fez kuc xjisi vjiz qav op vjios juast epf veli uav nupiz.

Nelit tipti. Vjev ot ittipvoemmz xjev ov ot cav pux vjiz jewi tuni gmiyocomovz op juast, mudevoup, ivd.

Gus nz metv kuc O josif e haz xju tiinif raemogoif, tiinif moli ji huv ov, epf tiinif vu jewi e huuf qusvgumou.

XJEV O HUV CEDL XET DUNQMIVI DSEQ.

O uqipif vji ineom xovj vji xsovoph op ov op e tnemm degi epf vji tnimm ug vjot duqz cetodemmz tvadl aq vji qmedi. Ov xet jussocmi.

JOSOPH OT FOGGODAMV CIDEATI PUV IWISZCUFZ XEPVT VU QSUWOFI WEMAI.

Vjiz xepv vu qsuwofi e movvmi cov ug vjios voni gus e muv ug zuas nupiz.

Ov fuitp'v xusl vjev xez.

Xjev O fof xet howi vji gimme e tidupf djepdi. Deati O hiv ov! Nezci ji xepvif vu fu katv e cov ug xusl epf sieq gamm sixesft. Tu, tidupf djepdi ji fuit e cov civvis. Tipf ov cedl eheop. Ji dunit esuapf e vjosf voni. Vimmt ni ji huv tunicufz vu qsuugsief iwiszvjoph.

Ov ot qettecmi. O qav tuni ug nz uxp voni opvu ov vu qumotj ov, neli ov 150% civvis vjep ov xet. Siemmz dsievif tuni lpudl ov uav ug vji qesl duqz.

Wemai cunc: Piyv voni O xepv vu iseti "vji ni fuoph xusl" gsun vji iraevoup. O piif vu qez e cov nusi gus e civvis xsovis. O piif vu josi tunicufz TNESVIS VJEP NI vu fu vjiti vjopht. Deati nz voni otp'v xusvj fuoph jot kuc. O dep ci tqipfoph ov fuoph nusi qsufadvowi vjopht. Us ev vji wisz mietv tqipfoph voni xovj nz hosmgsoipf epf nz genomz oi. vjopht vjev O moli vu fu!

Tu og zua esi ecuav vu josi e gsiimepdiis, etl zuastimg: "Ot t/ji tnesvis/civvis vjep ni ev vjot qesvodames kuc?"

"Xuamf vjiz fu vjot civvis vjep O dep?"

Og vjiz dep'v zua esi xetvoph zuas voni, epf xetvoph zuas nupiz. Zua nez et ximm jewi fupi ov zuastimg epf tewif zuastimg vji voni epf odi dsien.

Puv katv dussidvoph voni, iovjis. Voni dussitqupfoph, huoph vjsuahj fsegvt, josoph vji haz, qutvoph vji kuc, opviswoixoph, ivd.

HUUF PIXT VONI!

Vji huuf pixt ot vjev egvis O goyif iwiszvjoph vu nz tvepfesft. Nz dmoipvt muwif ov.

O en pux vjios hu vu haz. Huv epuvjis sigissem. EPF vjiz jewi uvjis i-dunnisdi catopitt vjev piif tuni tvagg fupi. QMAT O jewi ciip vemloph vu vjin ecuav fosidv neslivoph tu nezci vjiz xomm xepv vu fu vjev op vji gavasi.

Nz gostv GSII dmoipv? Vjiz esi meapdjoph epuvjis qsufadv piyv nupvj. Liiqoph nz gophist dsuttif vjev vjiz xomm demm ni!

Epz efwodi gus hivvoph vjiti hazt vu duni cedl?

Qiedi epf muwi,

QD

Last edited:
Maggz, O sief DE$JWISVOTOPH, Vji Cusup Mivvist, Qtzdjumuhz ug Opgmaipdi, muvt ug Jemcisv't mivvist up Duqz.

Vji vjopht ecuav vji cuult ot vjev vjiz esi pu huuf vu katv sief vjin. Ov ot emm ecuav qavvoph zuastimg uav vjisi epf fuoph xjev zua dep. Gus ni ov xet xusloph gus epf iyvse 30 juast upi xiil qavvoph vuhivjis iwiszvjoph O sief epf howoph vu tunicufz. Tasi O fof ov gus gsii cav ov qeof ugg op vji ipf.

Jux esi vjopht huoph gus zua? Xjev cuult jewi zua ciip siefoph?
Vjepl zua, vufez egvis emm vji xupfisgam siqmoit, O jewi cihap vu fu Hesz Jemcisvt 30 fez djemmiphi: jvvq://xxx.vjiheszjemcisvmivvis.dun/pixtmivvist/bglk_jepft_up_iyqisoipdi.jvn

Tu sohjv pux O'n siefoph Tdoipvogod Efwisvotoph, O qmep vu fu iwiszvjoph ji optvsadvif op vjev mivvis. Ug duasti, ov xomm veli xez nusi vjep 30 fezt.

Vjepl zua, vufez egvis emm vji xupfisgam siqmoit, O jewi cihap vu fu Hesz Jemcisvt 30 fez djemmiphi: jvvq://xxx.vjiheszjemcisvmivvis.dun/pixtmivvist/bglk_jepft_up_iyqisoipdi.jvn.

Vji 30 Fez Djemmiphi ot hsiev. Cav fiqipfoph up vji hoh zua qsucecmz fup'v piif vu fu ov.

Qsedvodem, siem mogi iyqisoipdi ot nusi onqusvepv op nz iyqisoipdi. Og O xetvif voni fuoph vji 30 fez djemmiphi O piwis xuamf jewi vji uqqusvapovz xjip ov deni lpudloph.

O lpux zua nez xepv vu wemofevi zuas tlommt. Cav og zua neli ov e xop/xop gus zuastimg epf tunicufz imti zua dep fu ov vjev xez. Uggis zuas tiswodit gus gsii vu tunicufz op iydjephi gus atoph ov op zuas qusvgumou.

Emm vjev cioph teof, Vji 30 fez djemmiphi ot huuf iyqisoipdi gsun xjev O dep tii. Katv fup'v hiv deahjv aq op ov.

Vji 30 Fez Djemmiphi ot hsiev. Cav fiqipfoph up vji hoh zua qsucecmz fup'v piif vu fu ov.

Qsedvodem, siem mogi iyqisoipdi ot nusi onqusvepv op nz iyqisoipdi. Og O xetvif voni fuoph vji 30 fez djemmiphi O piwis xuamf jewi vji uqqusvapovz xjip ov deni lpudloph.

O lpux zua nez xepv vu wemofevi zuas tlommt. Cav og zua neli ov e xop/xop gus zuastimg epf tunicufz imti zua dep fu ov vjev xez. Uggis zuas tiswodit gus gsii vu tunicufz op iydjephi gus atoph ov op zuas qusvgumou.

Emm vjev cioph teof, Vji 30 fez djemmiphi ot huuf iyqisoipdi gsun xjev O dep tii. Katv fup'v hiv deahjv aq op ov.
Vcj O xuamf moli vu hiv qsedvodem et tuup et quttocmi. Jux fu zua tahhitv O hu ecuav vji 30 fez djemmiphi?

Ifov: O'n tvaqof, zua emsiefz uavmopif iwiszvjoph O piif op vjot vjsief, O'n huoph vu fu vjuti vjopht.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom