Hello everyone,
This is a question for entrepreneurs who are just starting out or already successful ones who don't mind to share their early days when they started.
My situation is the following: I am currently single, quit my job last year and moved to a new city. Now I am working on my Self-Publishing business, I write and publish eBooks on Amazon. Currently I am making more than 1K per month, it is enough to pay my bills but my goal is to earn 5 figures per month next year. For now I live on the cheap, but I feel rich because I am finally in control of my life.
Most of the time I am working on my business. I don't go to clubs or partys, I don't "just hang out", I value my time and don't waste it. But we are all social animals and it is not good to be always alone. Therefore from time to time I do go out to meet new people. It always goes well until I get this one question that I really hate: 'What do you do for a living?'
At first I had no issues to talk about what I am doing (Self-Publishing). But the reactions are different and often I receive negative comments about it. On several occasions people said something like: "I don't want to offend you, but don't you think you should get a 'real job' ?" or "Can you really make a living as an author?"
First of all, most meople don't get the difference between being a regular author (most authors have indeed day jobs and write as a hobby) and treating Self-Publishing as a business. It is really hard to explain this to a non-entrepreneur. But moreover, such comments are kind of insulting and bad for my productivity, because afterwards I waste to much thought on those comments.
Therefore I decided it is enough and I will be more private about telling what I am doing. Last time somebody asked me this questin, I answered that "I am selling digital products online, but it is hard to explain and I don't want to go into details". - The result was that people then assume that I am doing something illegal.
My question for you: How do you answer the 'What Do You Do for a Living' question?
Especially if you are just starting out, bootstrapping your business or doing something unconventional?
Please share your experience here.
This is a question for entrepreneurs who are just starting out or already successful ones who don't mind to share their early days when they started.
My situation is the following: I am currently single, quit my job last year and moved to a new city. Now I am working on my Self-Publishing business, I write and publish eBooks on Amazon. Currently I am making more than 1K per month, it is enough to pay my bills but my goal is to earn 5 figures per month next year. For now I live on the cheap, but I feel rich because I am finally in control of my life.
Most of the time I am working on my business. I don't go to clubs or partys, I don't "just hang out", I value my time and don't waste it. But we are all social animals and it is not good to be always alone. Therefore from time to time I do go out to meet new people. It always goes well until I get this one question that I really hate: 'What do you do for a living?'
At first I had no issues to talk about what I am doing (Self-Publishing). But the reactions are different and often I receive negative comments about it. On several occasions people said something like: "I don't want to offend you, but don't you think you should get a 'real job' ?" or "Can you really make a living as an author?"
First of all, most meople don't get the difference between being a regular author (most authors have indeed day jobs and write as a hobby) and treating Self-Publishing as a business. It is really hard to explain this to a non-entrepreneur. But moreover, such comments are kind of insulting and bad for my productivity, because afterwards I waste to much thought on those comments.
Therefore I decided it is enough and I will be more private about telling what I am doing. Last time somebody asked me this questin, I answered that "I am selling digital products online, but it is hard to explain and I don't want to go into details". - The result was that people then assume that I am doing something illegal.
My question for you: How do you answer the 'What Do You Do for a Living' question?
Especially if you are just starting out, bootstrapping your business or doing something unconventional?
Please share your experience here.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
