scottaj74
New Contributor
- Joined
- May 11, 2012
- Messages
- 74
Rep Bank
$245
$245
User Power: 30%
I'm seriously considering developing an app for my local community. The app would be for the town and would be a directory for local businesses, restaurants, accommodations, activities, etc. I've seen this done before with other towns. I do realize that this isn't fast lane, but if it were to be successful, I do see how it could be developed for other communities.
However, after attempting to start up one idea I now realize the importance of doing your homework and checking the viability of a new business idea before spending hard earned cash to develop a service or product people aren't necessarily interested in. I also realize that promotion and marketing are perhaps even more important than the idea. Yes, the idea needs to be sound but if word doesn't get out it's just sitting dead in the water.
I was reading another thread on the site where members where stating the importance of trying to sell your idea before going ahead with development. Maybe it's just a mindset for me, but what's the best way to do this? Just contact businesses and pitch the plan/idea to see if they're interested? It seems hard to sell something that doesn't exist just yet, how do your create credibility with "nothing in hand" so to speak? Should I just cold-call establishments to try and sell them on the concept? If anyone has first hand experience with how they tackled this I'd love to hear about your experiences.
I'm pretty sure it would work, but I just want to make sure I'm doing my homework properly before I start to spend money on the app development.
Thanks
However, after attempting to start up one idea I now realize the importance of doing your homework and checking the viability of a new business idea before spending hard earned cash to develop a service or product people aren't necessarily interested in. I also realize that promotion and marketing are perhaps even more important than the idea. Yes, the idea needs to be sound but if word doesn't get out it's just sitting dead in the water.
I was reading another thread on the site where members where stating the importance of trying to sell your idea before going ahead with development. Maybe it's just a mindset for me, but what's the best way to do this? Just contact businesses and pitch the plan/idea to see if they're interested? It seems hard to sell something that doesn't exist just yet, how do your create credibility with "nothing in hand" so to speak? Should I just cold-call establishments to try and sell them on the concept? If anyone has first hand experience with how they tackled this I'd love to hear about your experiences.
I'm pretty sure it would work, but I just want to make sure I'm doing my homework properly before I start to spend money on the app development.
Thanks
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
