What's new

How to change your beliefs about money in 5 simple steps

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

St.Alpine

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Hi Guys,

over and over we are exploited to beliefs that have not longer relevant to us. If we want to get rich we must change our belief systems. Changing our belief system is never done. We need to reinforce our newly accustomed beliefs over and over again in the world, where 98% of the people think diametric contrary to us.
I applied a system, I want to share with you guys, that has allowed me to clean up bad thinking about money.
It will also help you to realign, when people want to get in your way and try to drag you into their slowlane or worse their sidewalk.
It is not important how many beliefs you have, positive or negative, the magnitude of them is important.
Most people have more negative associations with prosperity than positive ones.
I will give you the specific steps to internalize new positive beliefs and to avoid other people getting in your way towards freedom .
So let me start with a couple of questions to get you warm.

How do you really think about wealth and money?
Please mark the sentences you can relate to.

• Just the one who safes, is going to be rich.
  • Money is pure energy.
  • I love money.
  • God loves the poor.
  • Money is not all.
  • Money makes good things happen.
  • Money flows through my fingers like water.
  • Money stinks.
  • Money is making you arrogant.
  • Money is beautiful and good.
  • Wealth makes people lonely.
  • I love money.
  • Everything is determined from the beginning.
  • I don’t have luck.
  • There are more important things than money.
  • I am like a magnet when it comes to money.
  • If I am earning more, I have to pay more taxes.
  • I would become decadent if I would earn a lot of money.
  • Money makes you happy.
  • Creating wealth is going to cost my family.
  • I will be happy in the future, with the things I have. I don’t need more.
  • Money is not everything, but without money everything is nothing.
  • Be satisfied with what you got.
  • Abundance is unfair. So much people are suffering from hunger.
  • I don’t deserve more than I have.
  • Modesty is an embellishment.
  • Without money I am a complete failure.
  • People who think, you can’t buy happiness with money, just don’t know where to buy it.

If you look over these beliefs, can you see that what you got today is a result of these beliefs?
Can you see how your financial situation is a mirror of them?

In the past, I would have only marked the sentences that were the opposite from the ones which attracted wealth. Luckily I have changed. I found that this exercise help me to be more focused towards my longterm goals.
Let me give you a analogy:
Not changing your belief systems is like, wanting to reach the finish line on the race track and just having the reverse gear available. We need to establish the 6 forward gears to get to the finish line and kill the reverse gear.
I did the exercise on paper and it really helped me. It is a little bit of work, but it is all worth it.

Now think about the three strongest points you have on your list right now.

1. ...
  2. ...
  3. ...

How were they created?

You probably learned them from teachers, parents and friends. You took them from the people you spend most of the time with.
They were not created accidently. Look at the people around you.
How do these people think about money? How did they treat money? What were they saying to you about handling money?
These people surely didn’t mean to harm you, but what they did was giving you hints how they want you to think about money.

I personally don’t take any advice anymore from people who are not as successful as I want to be. Take care of topics like job, money, finances, etc. Doesn’t matter if it is mom, dad or my friends. I don’t listen to them. You have to be really strict there. Do you know what happens to a 10000l watertank when there is just a tiny hole? Right, it will burst like a MF.

If they are not where I want to be, I don’t take their advice.

People give you bad advice because they want to justify their own failures. They often show the point where they have failed. People who are saying don’t take that risk, have often restricted their own life, because they have never taken the needed risks themselfs.

Now you know about your strongest beliefs about money, now ask yourself: Will I ever be rich, if I think money is bad and stinks?

The whole point about this exercise is to develop attitudes about money, which help you to get what you want.

A couple of centuries people declared Jules Verne crazy, when he said that one day people will land on the moon. 3 days ago Neil Armstrong died. The first man on the moon.

In the 16 centutury people thought the earth was flat. Galileo later proved them wrong.

Nothing is like our eyes sees. The classification in right or wrong doesn’t help. We are wrong all of the time.
But nevertheless we constantly try to classify the world in right or wrong. We want safety, clarity. We don’t want to change our beliefs all the time. We like to see ourselves as consequent.

I challenge you to overthink your perception, after you’ve read following statement made by Mahatma Gandhi:
“Consequence is not an absolute virtue. If I have another insight today, isn’t it then consequent for me, to change my direction? I admittedly inconsequent towards my past, but I am consequent towards the truth [...]. Consequence means, following the truth, the way you recognize the truth.â€

Every human creates their own reality. Each of us has changed his beliefs many times in his life. You fell in love with somebody and then you broke up with them. You liked that t shirt one day, a couple of months later you won’t even look at it.

You and only you can change your beliefs and still stay true to yourself. However you see yourself, this is you. Whatever you belief, determines your situation.

Think of a belief as a table.

To form a belief from an opinion, you need at least 3 or 4 experiences, that confirm your opinion. These are the legs of your table.

When we think about money towards what’s right and what’s wrong, this view won’t take us far.
There are no right or wrong convictions. Take the sentence “Rich people have a lot of people who envy them.†This is as correct and likely, as it is to say that the same guy has evenly as much people, who admire him.
The question is not if your attitude is right or wrong. The only thing that matters is, is this attitude going to help me to reach my goal.

To answer that, you have to have goals first, of course. Think about what you want to be, have and what you want to do.

Start with longterm goals. They work as a compass for your midterm and short goals.

When you have written them down, look over your strongest beliefs and pick the ones, which will interfere with your goals.

These are the ones you want to change. Write them down and look over the other ones you have marked. Write them down as well.

Think about what I’ve said about the table. You first have to saw off your wrong beliefs from the table before you can attach new ones.

Lets look at an example I made for myself.

Take the belief “Money spoils the character.â€

1. Why could this belief be devious?
I know a lot of wealthy people who are greater than people who have no money. They are more honest, have more integrity and are more fun being around.
I know a lot of poor or middleclass people who lie, have an aweful character and are hard to live with. Take Richard Branson: He is an awesome guy.
The father of a former girlfriend of mine was a business owner and had quiet some money and he was just awesome having him as a friend. Even better than my real dad, who was just a corporate worker.

2. Was the person who has teached me that wealthy?
Hell no! This guy struggles all the time. It is funny. The less money people have the more they come up with such bullshit crap, which is not what I have experienced.
I don’t ever want to change lives with a person who has that belief. Not even being around them. I don’t want to end up where they are.

3. What would it cost me emotionally and financially, if I don’t give up on that belief?
Everything. Wealthy people will smell, that I have such BS beliefs and I won’t be around them for long if I stay with these beliefs. It will cost me great friendships andit will cost me moneywise everything, because I would always have to feeling, that money F*cks up my character. On the contraire, I can’t wait to become wealthy, because it will strengthen myself and will give me more of myself. I will be able to really be who I really am and I so can’t wait to that!
It would cost me everything!!!

4. What would it cost my family, that I love?
It would cost them everything I want them to have. Private education, a healthy relationship with my wife and a worry free relationship. The ONE reason for me why I want to get wealthy so dearly, are my memories of my childhood, where father and mother had crazy fights about money. Their marriage almost broke, because of money several times.

5. How would my live be improved, when I change this belief now? How do I feel because of that?
I can’t see it now, but I know my life will be totally different from now on because I’ve changed this belief. I know, like MJ said, that a choice made now, will make a huge difference in the trajectory of my life!
I feel great about it. I have changed a belief, which will held a lot of people back becoming wealthy. I once was like that and I never want to go back, because I don’t want to go through the agony my parents have gone through. I want to provide a life for me and my kids, that is remarkable. I want to live a life that explores every way of life. And money will facilitate me with it.

And now, take your first belief you want to change and answer the same questions:
Was the person who has teached me that wealthy?
Why could this belief be devious?
What would it cost me emotionally and financially, if I don’t give up on that belief?
What would it cost my family, that I love?
How would my live be improved, when I change this belief now? How do I feel because of that?

This method worked great for me and I feel that I have to do it again soon. But I am more happy to do it, knowing I will change the trajectory of my choices for the best.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom