What's new

How to get started? Software engineer, with a web app idea

Idea threads

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

tt2024

New Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
41%
So, I'm a 27 year old guy; I've gone through a LOT of changes since I've been 21. I lost a TON of weight, got into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, went from nerd virgin to an amateur manslut being into the RSD pickup community stuff, I quit my job for 3 yrs thinking I was going to change careers, then I read Millionaire Fastlane realizing "Shit I gotta do something in a major way to dominate financially."

I had been back in school thinking I was gonna go into the medical field (since it interested me way more than software, both the nature of the work...helping others, and the subject matter, biology and the human body, being an ex fat guy with newfound athletic interests) and found the Fastlane book and got to a lot of thinking:
- the job I was looking to go into didn't seem promising for a Fastlane type business
- it also didn't seem EXCITING, it was more "simply comfortable"
- and in the end I really like to help people but I kind of find "the masses" annoying (I'm not like that much of a dick, but really, if you have a boring job, watch lots of TV, are fat, eat ice cream daily, and never go to the gym, there's a lot more you can and could have done for yourself than I can now...and that's what I think a LOT of people are like).

I really love the idea of building an online business that'll give me a moderate (100-200K/yr) income, without employees, and allows me geographical freedom.

I have a solid business idea in the personal development niche that basically involves me building a web app in Ruby on Rails. I started working hard on this (learning RoR, Javascript, HTML, CSS, and so on, since I didn't know these technologies -- I used to be a Java developer).

However I was also running low on $$$ after 3 yrs of "figuring shit out" (and have some student loans now...12.5K, not that bad). So I got a job again.

Positives:
- learn to manage my income again
- get a new place to learn tech stuff again
- health and dental insurance lol

Negatives:
- fat ppl in the office means the AC is super cold
- I actually don't like my co-workers...grown men talking about Starcraft 2 kind of just disgusts me...no offense to Starcraft 2 players heh but you know what I mean
- I guess socially the environment is just weird (or maybe I am...either way, I'm not a fan)

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate getting paid, getting some mentorship, and the perks of a job, but what I really want is to be in control of my life, including finances.

The stuff I'm unclear on:
- do I just start working on my product? How would one person doing something like this balance product development with like marketing/sales?
- what are real options for $$$ for expenses? I work in a job but I want to hear other options. I could move in with parents...in Louisiana. Or live out here in the SF Bay Area. I don't know how important it is for me to be around other techie people but I don't see LA being an advantage either...
- what are the smallest kinds of biz ideas that someone new to the entrepreneurial world can take? I feel like my idea is a bit more "involved" so I could work for like 3-6 months before putting something out in the real world...is this normal? Do you just have to practice trusting in your work and your ideas to make this happen?

Thanks for any words of wisdom. I read the Fastlane book and realize my mindsets not where it needs to be by far (especially since I still kind of want to be able to spend moderate amounts of time on "other stuff" in my life and it sounds like going balls to the wall is more effective here), so any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

--Tom

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Duptofis zuastimg madlz cioph e fiwimuqis, zua dep edvaemmz fiwimuq zuas uxp tvagg vji xez zua xepv (opovoemmz) xovjuav simzoph up uvjist, xju gsiraipvmz foteqquopv.

Jux huuf esi zua tquvvoph uqqusvapovoit/qsucmint epf gohasoph uav og tumavoupt vu vjuti qsucmint jewi e tohpogodepv nesliv? Vjev ot vji tvagg vjev'mm neli ov us csiel ov.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom