The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Properly Speak with Suppliers

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Hey guys! I have officially registered my business with the government, found the niche that I am going to pursue and have already emailed a few suppliers. I have a few questions since this is my first time...

Getting pricing - Is it rude to ask for pricing right away? Should I build a relationship with the client first?

Also pricing - Do most suppliers have a "catalogue" of the prices of their items, or is it kind of a flat markup percentage or does it depend on each supplier?

Is there anything that I should/shouldn't say in specific when initially emailing potential suppliers?

Oh also for you amazon people, If I'm from Canada do I have to sell on Amazon.ca or can I also sell in Amazon.com?

Thank you guys!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Every supplier will be different. I have many different suppliers for the golf business and talk to them frequently. Sometimes you can make demands if they really want your business. Other times you just have to suck it up. This is especially true if the supplier has robust business already.

Some have flexibility in pricing while others don't. Keep shopping around and figure out ALL of your options.

It is not rude to ask prices. This question sounds like you may be a bit intimidated by the process. Don't be. You are in the drivers seat. Make some calls. Make some mistakes. Find what works for you. Have some fun with it.

I spend at least 4 hours a week on parts/price shopping and supplier calls. It is part of my business. I constantly ask what it will take to get better breaks in pricing and let the vendor know how important it is to me. I have threatened to take my business elsewhere and sometimes do so without a discussion. I save thousands of dollars a month with this process.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Canadians can do Amazon.com.

You'll need a US bank account(rbc has a good option). And you'll want to use fba to take advantage of shipping discounts. Shipping from Canada is disgustingly expensive.

If you need more info on this let me know.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Every supplier will be different. I have many different suppliers for the golf business and talk to them frequently. Sometimes you can make demands if they really want your business. Other times you just have to suck it up. This is especially true if the supplier has robust business already.

Some have flexibility in pricing while others don't. Keep shopping around and figure out ALL of your options.

It is not rude to ask prices. This question sounds like you may be a bit intimidated by the process. Don't be. You are in the drivers seat. Make some calls. Make some mistakes. Find what works for you. Have some fun with it.

I spend at least 4 hours a week on parts/price shopping and supplier calls. It is part of my business. I constantly ask what it will take to get better breaks in pricing and let the vendor know how important it is to me. I have threatened to take my business elsewhere and sometimes do so without a discussion. I save thousands of dollars a month with this process.

I never really thought of it this way... I definitely am intimidated by it all. I've never done any type of sales, managing a company or anything like that. I'm trying to be as confident as I can when speaking to these people but since I'm 21, I have this feeling that I'll just sound like a kid to them. I guess they can't really tell over the phone but I'm sure they'd have an idea, that's why I decided to email... I'm going to try calling the next few days.

Since I'm starting an ecommerce site, I'm also not sure if these people are willing to dropship in Canada/US (I'm trying to source from Canada/US if possible) I have some funding, but I'm not sure how to successfully validate a product before purchasing... I know there's a need where I am but I'm just not sure exactly how to validate it.

And thanks @Azure, if I'm wanting to sell on Canada and US, will I have to sent fulfillment to both? I have a fulfillment center in my city which is nice. But Will I have to also send fulfillment to an American fulfillment center?

Thanks!

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Think of .CA and .com as two different companies. You'll need to send to both fc separate.

Are you in Mississauga?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Is experience from years of age or repetition?

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Is experience from years of age or repetition?

True that. Guess a 21 year old can be more experienced than a 40 year old. It's just the vibe a lot of people give off. I guess if I show that I'm willing to learn/know what I'm talking about, who can tell me different right?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
True that. Guess a 21 year old can be more experienced than a 40 year old. It's just the vibe a lot of people give off. I guess if I show that I'm willing to learn/know what I'm talking about, who can tell me different right?
Let me rephrase. You gain experience by doing, not by aging. You may come off as inexperienced until you are not. It is something that everyone goes through. Don't worry what others think.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
LOL, I need to cut and paste some of the emails I sent to them to show you how easy it is.

They go something like,

"Hello, I am interested in ordering your widget, please quote me 500 pieces. Thanks "

Or

"Please, quote 100 pieces of the attached photo, thanks"

I don't like messing around with companies that won't respond to me. Why send them more information than that?

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
LOL, I need to cut and paste some of the emails I sent to them to show you how easy it is.

They go something like,

"Hello, I am interested in ordering your widget, please quote me 500 pieces. Thanks "

Or

I don't like messing around with companies that won't respond to me. Why send them more information than that?

Never knew it was that easy... Damn lol

As a person starting out, is it better to display yourself as an already well established business vs. a newbie starting out?

Let me rephrase. You gain experience by doing, not by aging. You may come off as inexperienced until you are not. It is something that everyone goes though. Don't worry what others think.

Awesome advice SteveO. I guess everyone has to start somewhere!

maxwellc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 23, 2016

They go something like,

Or

Also, do you ever dropship with people? Or always have purchased wholesale? I don't just want to purchase 500 of an item if I have no idea it will sell... I'm not sure how to validate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Also, do you ever dropship with people? Or always have purchased wholesale? I don't just want to purchase 500 of an item if I have no idea it will sell... I'm not sure how to validate it

Ask for samples.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
They give samples for free? Or you have to purchase?

That's negotiable. I started a new thread with a bunch of screenshots of my China communications. You'll see how easy it is. They have no idea if I'm 19 or 30 years old. It doesn't matter.

Mattyg

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
May 13, 2016
Your not the only one who is over thinking it!

I contacted a supplier and was asking what the minimum order was. I phoned at first but then emailed with the contact. She asked me what my plan was and I told her I was gonna have an ecommerce store.

Then she didn't respond and so I am not sure what to do next.

This the best supplier they do all in house private label, allows changes to product and shipping if needed. I have gotten intimidated as well with the initial process being a newbie. I have been pondering how to contact them and try this again. Maybe I will stop being a baby and just call them tomorrow and just see what happens!

maxwellc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 23, 2016
That's negotiable. I started a new thread with a bunch of screenshots of my China communications. You'll see how easy it is. They have no idea if I'm 19 or 30 years old. It doesn't matter.

Link? [emoji3]

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Vectra1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
510%
Jul 20, 2016
Northwest UK

Or in my case, man or women, I've been dealing with our supplier now for nearly 3 months and she disclosed to me she thought I was a women. WTF !

She said I emailed like a women !

This all came about when I sent a video for some alterations I required on a product, simply clear way of communicating over long distances with language barriers thrown in the mix.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE