The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to protect New Product idea in China

Idea threads

JMBgroup

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 23, 2016
Hey guys I need to be in China in 3 weeks to produce a new product invention in the textile industry. I already have patent in US and have until February to purchase patents in other Countries.

I can get a Chinese patent, but I am wondering if it will really hold up. I am worried my product will be all over Alibaba before I make it back to US !

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Hey guys I need to be in China in 3 weeks to produce a new product invention in the textile industry. I already have patent in US and have until February to purchase patents in other Countries.

I can get a Chinese patent, but I am wondering if it will really hold up. I am worried my product will be all over Alibaba before I make it back to US !

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
The short answer is.... You can't protect your invention in China.

It is common for innovators to ask a Chinese manufacturer to produce a prototype and find that their product is on the market (via another manufacturer) before they even get their prototype.

When you see the vast market for fakes being sold illegally by opportunists without morals, and know that they almost all originate in China, you will appreciate that Intellectual Property rights mean next to nothing there.

Have your product developed locally. At least the idea won't be stolen and copied until you have developed a market.

Walter

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Perhaps, if it's even possible, source the parts from different factories and then assemble it locally? See stayblcam progress thread inside.

caezlar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Apr 11, 2014
HK,China
Perhaps, if it's even possible, source the parts from different factories and then assemble it locally? See stayblcam progress thread inside.
:), Chinese people still can buy one end product from market and copy it.
you can apply patent, register trademark, then Chinese fake products can only be sold in domestic, they can't export it.
PS: your way is the best way!

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
:), Chinese people still can buy one end product from market and copy it.
you can apply patent, register trademark, then Chinese fake products can only be sold in domestic, they can't export it.
PS: your way is the best way!
Yes buying retail and copying is often done, but to say they can't export fakes is unrealistic. In the real world, multitudes of fakes and copies of patented products are shipped out of China, mostly through Hong Kong.

Walter

caezlar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Apr 11, 2014
HK,China
Yes buying retail and copying is often done, but to say they can't export fakes is unrealistic. In the real world, multitudes of fakes and copies of patented products are shipped out of China, mostly through Hong Kong.

Walter
yes, we can't keep the fake products to be zero, but we can keep it to be small quantity, under the big pressure of fake products, Chinese government ordered all customs to be more strict than before...
in another words, we still can buy fake Iphone 6 plus from market easily, but this can't stop Steve Jobs make big money.

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
Make sure that the value you provide goes beyond just the product. This will help build the brand and attract the right type of customer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.