I'm addicted to writing code, reading about marketing, and going to the gym.
I can't stop working and learning... even when it's the weekend!
I am so insecure about my skills that I spend the majority of my time trying to improve them.
I can't stop eating healthy... even at Thanksgiving dinner
.
I can't be bothered to spend more than a day away from the gym.
And instead of spending money on cool new gadgets, I spend it on boring things like web hosting, books, and weights.
I'm addicted to this lifestyle and every time I try to stop I can't! I seriously need to relax, and give myself a break. It's only what I deserve. But I can't break the cycle. I'm scared that if I keep at it, I won't ever be able to have student loans, obesity, excuses, or dusty gadgets from last holiday season in my garage. I can't even relate to my old friends anymore. I've changed, and it's awful. And the more time I spend in this cycle, the worse it gets. Help me thefastlaneforum, you're my only hope.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a more serious note, just a couple years ago I was spending my days getting trashed with substances, complaining about everything, making excuses, gaining weight and spending all my time and money on leisure. I was a typical sidewalker. I went to college for a year and worked my way up to slowlaner status. Just 6 months ago I turned 20 without much to show for it. I was putting in the average, and I was getting the average out.
Which wasn't all too great because technically, I was a year or two behind (in the slowlane). Around September I hit rock bottom. Long (sob) story short, me and my girlfriend had a big falling out, I realized I hadn't found a "job" even though I just spent a year in my life in college, and came to see that security was just an illusion for the weak. I realized adopting a slowlane mindset kept me mediocre, and being mediocre can easily breed negativity. My process was better than before but my life wasn't quite where I wanted it to be. It was time for an upgrade.
I started out (just a couple months ago!) by getting a technology certification I always wanted to get. I booked my exam and locked myself in Starbucks and studied until my back fell off from the coffee and leaning over. I got that certification and the feeling of expedited success felt amazing. I went and got two more certifications weeks apart from one another. I was now qualified for new jobs and more knowledgeable than ever before but unfortunately I was addicted to that feeling of success
.
Since that first success I haven't been able to stop busting a$$. I get emotional withdrawals if I'm not spending at least 10 hours a day improving my process or working in it. I tried to relax over Christmas and do nothing but the addict in me made me learn the Android architecture and algorithm analysis. If this sounds like something you want, no matter where you are today, you can build up to it.
In the past two months I got 3 IT Certifications, have nearly finished my first Android app, built and hosted an online resume I coded myself and all the while maintained a 3.6 GPA and spent on average 5 days a week in the gym, practically doubling my lifts and cardiovascular limits. I also read two (awesome) books on marketing and consumer psychology, finishing each within a day. Imagine what's going to happen if I multiply that process by the course of a year, or better yet, speed it up?
No matter where you are today, the absolute best advice I can give (with my limited experience) is to focus on your process. Dissect it hour by hour, day by day, week by week, and become obsessed with it. Build it as fast as you can and don't let the setbacks stop you. Eventually even the largest goals seem laughable, if you have the process to take them on. Build. That. Process.
The hours you spend in a day perfecting your process will dictate your speed in the fast-lane. Start tackling mountains the moment you read this and please... don't slow down to hang out with the slowlaners.
I can't stop working and learning... even when it's the weekend!
I am so insecure about my skills that I spend the majority of my time trying to improve them.
I can't stop eating healthy... even at Thanksgiving dinner
I can't be bothered to spend more than a day away from the gym.
And instead of spending money on cool new gadgets, I spend it on boring things like web hosting, books, and weights.
I'm addicted to this lifestyle and every time I try to stop I can't! I seriously need to relax, and give myself a break. It's only what I deserve. But I can't break the cycle. I'm scared that if I keep at it, I won't ever be able to have student loans, obesity, excuses, or dusty gadgets from last holiday season in my garage. I can't even relate to my old friends anymore. I've changed, and it's awful. And the more time I spend in this cycle, the worse it gets. Help me thefastlaneforum, you're my only hope.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a more serious note, just a couple years ago I was spending my days getting trashed with substances, complaining about everything, making excuses, gaining weight and spending all my time and money on leisure. I was a typical sidewalker. I went to college for a year and worked my way up to slowlaner status. Just 6 months ago I turned 20 without much to show for it. I was putting in the average, and I was getting the average out.
Which wasn't all too great because technically, I was a year or two behind (in the slowlane). Around September I hit rock bottom. Long (sob) story short, me and my girlfriend had a big falling out, I realized I hadn't found a "job" even though I just spent a year in my life in college, and came to see that security was just an illusion for the weak. I realized adopting a slowlane mindset kept me mediocre, and being mediocre can easily breed negativity. My process was better than before but my life wasn't quite where I wanted it to be. It was time for an upgrade.
I started out (just a couple months ago!) by getting a technology certification I always wanted to get. I booked my exam and locked myself in Starbucks and studied until my back fell off from the coffee and leaning over. I got that certification and the feeling of expedited success felt amazing. I went and got two more certifications weeks apart from one another. I was now qualified for new jobs and more knowledgeable than ever before but unfortunately I was addicted to that feeling of success
Since that first success I haven't been able to stop busting a$$. I get emotional withdrawals if I'm not spending at least 10 hours a day improving my process or working in it. I tried to relax over Christmas and do nothing but the addict in me made me learn the Android architecture and algorithm analysis. If this sounds like something you want, no matter where you are today, you can build up to it.
In the past two months I got 3 IT Certifications, have nearly finished my first Android app, built and hosted an online resume I coded myself and all the while maintained a 3.6 GPA and spent on average 5 days a week in the gym, practically doubling my lifts and cardiovascular limits. I also read two (awesome) books on marketing and consumer psychology, finishing each within a day. Imagine what's going to happen if I multiply that process by the course of a year, or better yet, speed it up?
No matter where you are today, the absolute best advice I can give (with my limited experience) is to focus on your process. Dissect it hour by hour, day by day, week by week, and become obsessed with it. Build it as fast as you can and don't let the setbacks stop you. Eventually even the largest goals seem laughable, if you have the process to take them on. Build. That. Process.
The hours you spend in a day perfecting your process will dictate your speed in the fast-lane. Start tackling mountains the moment you read this and please... don't slow down to hang out with the slowlaners.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
