The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I don't know what city I want to live in

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I certainly don't want to live where I'm at (Miami, FL). I'm sick of trying to say "hi" to passersby and get ignored or a strange look. It's not just me, either - tourists (people I actually get along with) have told me the same thing and I've personally seen a live streamer go to Miami and try to say hi to people with abysmal failure whereas he does the same thing in West Palm Beach and everyone's friendly. Moments upon arriving in Tallahassee four years ago, an old lady greeted me at a McDonalds. Meanwhile, everyone's miserable here - **** this place!

I don't really know what's possible unless I can at least imagine it. I recall FSU being one of the top party schools, so I went, partied, and made many friends and connections because I setthe my mind to it - I was going to be an adventurer and discover new things. But now that's over because college is over and I'm stuck here working ungodly hours at the valet saving money because of Chapter 37 - Your Road Needs A Destination!

I have modest goals. At first I wanted an Audi S4, but I don't really need it. I just want to be able to go to the gym and lift a lot and buy my supplements not having to worry whether I'll be able to afford them or not. Ideally, I would like a city that's similar to the college bubble - without being in college. Somewhere that everyone actually greets each other with a smile and a good attitude. I would also like to be single and not looking for six months so I can work on me and my business.

Some more details: I wouldn't mind living in an apartment solo. I know you guys may think I'm selling myself short, but this is the best I can think of. I don't see myself travelling to exotic places like Reykjavik soon. I don't even have a business yet; I'm just working to get paid because it's better than sitting at home doing nothing. I just need a more positive place to be at and a better community. Any ideas?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
7 days in my place and you'll absolutely love Miami.
It doesn't matter where you live. You can create any environment you want around you. You can have any relationships. You can do anything you could imagine right where you are.

• Banned

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
7 days in my place and you'll absolutely love Miami.
It doesn't matter where you live. You can create any environment you want around you. You can have any relationships. You can do anything you could imagine right where you are.

No kidding. What business do you run and how do you conduct it over there?

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I certainly don't want to live where I'm at (Miami, FL). I'm sick of trying to say "hi" to passersby and get ignored or a strange look. It's not just me, either - tourists (people I actually get along with) have told me the same thing and I've personally seen a live streamer go to Miami and try to say hi to people with abysmal failure whereas he does the same thing in West Palm Beach and everyone's friendly. Moments upon arriving in Tallahassee four years ago, an old lady greeted me at a McDonalds. Meanwhile, everyone's miserable here - **** this place!

It is the same here in LA. People just look at you weird when you say "hi".

But then again, it might not be the people. The issue might be you. There is a saying, "its not what you say, but how you say it".

I can say hello in many different ways

HELLO!!!
Hello

Hello
hello

Its all about the energy you put behind it

If your thoughts, words and actions align, what you say will hit 100% of the time

Example of a fail: You see a cute girl. Your thinking about wanting to get her number & take her home because you just want it badly (thoughts). You say hi (words). Your face shows a frown, your heart is beating fast. Your voice trembles (action).

Example of good: Your are feeling good and your mind says you should go get some ice cream (thought). You see the same cute girl at the ice cream shop and you say "hi" (words). You have a smile on your face, you are standing straight, Your voice is loud & firm. You have a spark in your eye. Free from outcome, don't care what the response is, you are just getting an ice cream. You are present to the moment.(action)

• Banned

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
If I said hi to everyone I passed in the street here in NYC I wouldn't be able to make it to work.

It's not rude, it's being realistic and efficient.

Unfortunately I may be jaded, but I am skeptical when someone tries to speak to me in the street and typically keep walking. When you've had enough people begging you for money or trying to sell you their next greatest hip-hop CD...you begin to become numb and don't want to be bothered.

That being said, for a young person tying to figure life out, NYC is a great place to live. There is opportunity everywhere and people from all walks of life. My goals and direction in life have changed so much since moving here because of the people I have met that have achieved success I didn't know existed when I lived in the burbs. While I don't plan to be here forever (once my ventures take off I want the luxury to move around wherever and relax more), I do think moving here was one of the top 5 best decisions I’ve made in my life.

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016
I'm thinking you need to find out what "the world needs" and find out how to get it to them.

Or...find out "what you can offer the world" and sell it to them. Either way, the only way to make money on this planet is to create value.

A change might do you good, or maybe just change the people you hang with. Try hitting a spiritual center for some encouragement where positive people hang. They will love it when you say "hi" to them.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
The answer is always Bangkok in the LoS (Land of Smiles) but don't tell everyone that!

If I had to move back to the states it would be South Florida. I like it there..but it doesn't beat Asia let alone Bangkok. If you're looking for a city in the U.S or the West for that matter to be better than Miami or South Florida you may be hard pressed!

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
....he does the same thing in West Palm Beach and everyone's friendly. Moments upon arriving in Tallahassee four years ago, an old lady greeted me at a McDonalds. Meanwhile, everyone's miserable here - **** this place!?

Why haven't you moved to West Palm or Tallahassee?

If you want to get out of Florida I suggest New York City. If people in New York City are "miserable" too for you, the problem is you, not the city.

It seems like you already have your beliefs set about Miami so everything you see or do in the city gets colored through that lens. Maybe I'm wrong.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

I disagree.

Where you lives has a LOT to do with your quality of living.

Struggling to make $7k/month to scrape by in New York City? Move somewhere where $2000/month can make you feel like a king.

Being in a bigger city with high population can increase the chances of you succeeding significantly. If you met even just one person that changed your life, and you have a 20x time chance to do that in a big city, where would you go?

If where you live or your living situation makes you unhappy, how do you think that effects you as you work on your business?

A couple of years ago I moved to Scottsdale. Completely changed my life as I surrounded myself with entrepreneurs. a year and a half later I left the country to travel the world, and have lived in more countries than most people visit. These experiences had a very profound, positive impact in my life.

Look at the difference moving to Phoenix made to @MJ DeMarco @biophase @AllenCrawley @Eskil

If you don't think where you are living is for you, MOVE. Don't think about it, just do it.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
If you don't think where you are living is for you, MOVE. Don't think about it, just do it.

Look at the difference moving to Phoenix made to @MJ DeMarco @biophase @AllenCrawley @Eskil

Amen to that! Moving here was one of the best things I did. I must sound like broken record by now but - the environment you live in will HUGELY impact your chances of growth and success, whether it is subconsciously or not. Weather, climate, people, surroundings, attitudes, spirit, scenery, ease of living, so much more. All that adds up to either hold you back, stagnate you, or help drive you forward. Just. Move!

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
I disagree.
That's fine, I don't mind that.

Quality of living.
Make your own day great, do great things, cook great food, spend your time with great people.

Struggling to make $7k/month to scrape by in New York City?
Start making $17k.

If you met even just one person that changed your life, and you have a 20x time chance to do that in a big city, where would you go?
Chances you have =/= chances you take.

If where you live or your living situation makes you unhappy, how do you think that effects you as you work on your business?
Why do you think some people feel happy anywhere on Earth?
Why some people have tremendous success in small poor towns, while others struggle in capitals?

A couple of years ago I moved to Scottsdale. Completely changed my life as I surrounded myself with entrepreneurs. a year and a half later I left the country to travel the world, and have lived in more countries than most people visit. These experiences had a very profound, positive impact in my life.
I'm geniunely happy for you. Make a good use of it.

I constantly see people moving somewhere else to make more money. To have bigger chances to meet right people. To start fresh.
I see nothing wrong with that and I can imagine how much better these people would do in life if they would learn how to make the best out of what they already have.
If you can make it "there" - you can make it anywhere. With "there" being any place where you at.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I don't think I need to move cities, yet. I can definitely fill needs in Miami (specifically, Coral Gables). Ready, Fire, Aim is making me see that.

Dougema

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 21, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I certainly don't want to live where I'm at (Miami, FL). just need a more positive place to be at and a better community. Any ideas?

Agreed! OP I moved to Miami(then Fort Lauderdale) 2 years ago and it is beautiful, happy, exciting, sunny. Until you get used to it (or change your priorities). Then it feels like people here are more worried about being better than you (faking or not) than pursuing something meaningful. (There are exceptions obviously). After all the posts regarding Arizona I'm definitely considering moving there.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Heed the word that
Agreed! OP I moved to Miami(then Fort Lauderdale) 2 years ago and it is beautiful, happy, exciting, sunny. Until you get used to it (or change your priorities). Then it feels like people here are more worried about being better than you (faking or not) than pursuing something meaningful. (There are exceptions obviously). After all the posts regarding Arizona I'm definitely considering moving there.

Read Ready, Fire, Aim. After I earn enough from my business down here I'll scale it and we're not in Kansas anymore.

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
I live in broward which is super close to Miami. South florida has a pretty big and diverse population which is good for business in my opinion. Unless you do e-commerce. I love living here because Im located in the relaxed suburbs (davie) but also have a big populated city pretty close to me ( miami)

Dougema

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 21, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I live in broward which is super close to Miami. South florida has a pretty big and diverse population which is good for business in my opinion. Unless you do e-commerce. I love living here because Im located in the relaxed suburbs (davie) but also have a big populated city pretty close to me ( miami)
I used to live in Davie, southwest ranches actually. Are you anywhere near it?

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
The answer is always Bangkok in the LoS (Land of Smiles) but don't tell everyone that!

If I had to move back to the states it would be South Florida. I like it there..but it doesn't beat Asia let alone Bangkok. If you're looking for a city in the U.S or the West for that matter to be better than Miami or South Florida you may be hard pressed!

What makes you like Bangkok so much?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
What makes you like Bangkok so much?
It's a great mix of chaotic disorder and world class facilities. It doesn't get cold, the people are nice, and the majority of things are relatively inexpensive (rent, transport, food).

The city has a good overall vibe to it and things are just easy here. Everything is flexible instead of rigid.

You can get good food at one of the 10's of thousands of street food stalls for around $1 or enjoy a meal at restaurants that rival the world's best. It's an easy location to travel around from. The beaches aren't too far away, and China is a short flight away as well.

There's hundreds of reasons but I'm heading out the door to go to a motor show (I guess that's another reason why I like it here)... but mainly it's the ex-pats that make it such a great city to be in. A blend of people from all over the world that call this place home.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I loved Dublin when I lived there.

Lots of nationalities with many ex-pats from many countries.

The Irish are friendly and love the craic.

I believe Ireland has the youngest population in Europe, and I heard Dublin had 2.5 women to every man.

It's also the digital hub in Europe, with European headquarters (or at least decent presences) for Google, Microsoft, Dell, Facebook, Amazon, LinkedIn, Groupon, and many more.

@Napoolion, what did you think of Dublin when you visited?

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I'm thinking you need to find out what "the world needs" and find out how to get it to them.

Or...find out "what you can offer the world" and sell it to them. Either way, the only way to make money on this planet is to create value.

A change might do you good, or maybe just change the people you hang with. Try hitting a spiritual center for some encouragement where positive people hang. They will love it when you say "hi" to them.

It's $20 for an event. Not sure if I want to spend $20 for this event: https://www.meetup.com/Bagua-Center-Miami-Transformation-Meetup/events/233211315/?oc=evam

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
It's also the digital hub in Europe, with European headquarters (or at least decent presences) for Google, Microsoft, Dell, Facebook, Amazon, LinkedIn, Groupon, and many more.

@Napoolion, what did you think of Dublin when you visited?
A friend wants me to help him on a site. Possibility is there to draw 7 figures a month and I would get a decent percentage for helping.

Eventually he wants me to help him crack into a billion dollar industry where more than 50% of the competition has based themselves out of Ireland. Should be fun.It may go nowhere or it may lead us to compete with billion $ companies. Will be fun if it pans out - the joys of consulting for equity

5FOR2

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 10, 2016
Miami, FL
I don't think I need to move cities, yet. I can definitely fill needs in Miami (specifically, Coral Gables). Ready, Fire, Aim is making me see that.

Miami is what you make of it. Brickell/Downtown is completely different from the Gables and other suburban areas down here. Planning to move to the former soon.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Sometimes people are having shitty days, and they don't feel like smiling at a stranger. In many places in Europe and Asia, it's considered weird to just randomly smile at someone you don't know.

You want a super friendly place, try Weed, California. Seriously people there are so nice it will make your heart melt.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.