What's new

I finally did it! Well, Almost..... Buying a biz, laughs and ???

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

bosco

New Contributor

I would first like to thank each and everyone on the board here for sharing their thoughts, opinions and at times, guidance. The community here has made tremendous impact on my life and to which I am greatly indebted and thankful.

As most people here, I am looking to take back control in my life. Not that I’m hell bent but definitely more motivated now than ever before in my life. When I was younger, I used to think “there has to be a better way†but as I’ve matured (im going to be 37) I’ve learned that “there has to be a more rewarding wayâ€.

Through an odd series of events and often comical circumstances, I purchased a failing startup through an acquaintance.

It all started early 2000’s, I had been invited along on a road trip down south with a group of very successful business owners. Our common thread was motorcycles and we were headed to Daytona for bike week. The whole entire trip, we ate trail mix. We ate good, bad but often times ugly trail mix along the way….and in case you’ve never noticed, trail mix is expensive. Anyway, on the long and grueling ride home, the guys were talking about starting their own trail mix company. They all had very strong personalities and were very competitive in nature. The whole entire time it was discussed their focus was on a high end, quality product. Being interested in being a part of something of this nature interested me and said I would be interested with what little cash on hand I had at the time. I was not taken to seriously though. Not sure if it was because I was a blue color worker or not but I was determined to be a part…somehow. I even thought about a name for this venture and had blurted it out. They loved it.

That would be the last I saw or heard from these guys in a long while. I then bumped into one of the guys and he said ‘hey, so and so and I started a trail mix company and we named it happy trails trail mix. This really is not the name and was changed to protect the guilty. Hahaha. Anyway, I was like yeah great…. thanks for letting me in on it and your welcome for giving you the cool name. I felt defeated!

Everywhere I went, someone was talking about happy trails. Everyone in my circle was talking about it. Kinda pissed me off. I looked at everything they did, their packaging, their marketing and said I could do better. They cheese balled it and they acted like a bunch of a$$ clowns. They were a local success and did not take it much farther than online sales and a few convenience stores. Not that I had formal experience, just real world knowledge and some common sense. I knew I could do better and really make something of it.

Time passed and I kept coming back to the thought of showing them up. I started to research websites and ecommerce systems, the market and audience, suppliers, food handling laws, packaging equipment, etc. I started to purchase small amounts of products and developed my own blend and handed it out to my friends to see what they thought. I printed out different names on a vision board and looked at it for months, all waiting for it to come to me. All in an effort to launch my own brand and directly compete with them for market share.

Then one day the phone rang….it was a friend of a friend of the “acquaintances†who said ‘hey…I heard that one of the guys sold out his share of the business which he felt was more of a hobby to concentrate on his very successful business of many years. I then called the other partner and said I heard that his partner sold out and was interested in purchasing the entire company. He was shocked but after some back peddling, he said he would put a number together and get back to me.

A few days had passed and he called to set up a lunch meeting to discuss. He was a sweet talker. He could sell snow to an Eskimo. He talked about all the assets and top line revenue. That’s all well and good but show me the financials! Who are your suppliers? For some reason I did not get the warm and fuzzy and shook on “we’d be in touchâ€. About 6 months passed and I had been ignoring the few calls and emails he made.

“I need to know right away because I have someone else interested at asking price but told them You had first right and refusal†was the icing on the cake. I immediately called him back and offered him a ridiculous number and called him out on the fact that he had no one. For some reason I just felt I needed to flex my muscle. This guy was the poster boy for being a clown. He laughed at me and we ended our conversation. A few days later he called me back with a counter offer. I said that I would no longer honor my offer therefore cannot consider his counter offer. He then asked me where I was at and replied with a number even lower than my first offer. It was an embarrassing moment for me when the number came out of my mouth so I followed it up with, sign over 100 pct of the LLC stock to me, website, product and accounts. Everything but the financials. I don’t want them as its obviously not doing well.

He agreed! And a few days later there I was in a parking lot of the bank where their account was signing over all the paperwork. Then it was off to the local watering hole with my better half for a celebratory drink. Good things were to come!

So it’s been two years since that day in the parking lot and have made a lot of progress, learned quite a bit and forged many friendships. We rebranded with a more professional logo and website, trademarked the name, obtained insurance, outsourced production and packaging to another company who was better equipped and have gotten this into one local convenience store. I’ve researched and test marketed different price points and portion size. We are making enough money to cover our expenses every month and at the end of last year we started to see the numbers go into the black. Not drawing a salary by any means but is going in a positive direction.

While I am very proud of what we have done without any formal training or experience, we are not only successful but are doing much better than the last owner ever dreamed of doing himself. I have been in the holding pattern now as I formulate our next series of actions to bring our product to market and bring the business to the next step and hit it big. Admittedly, I’ve been stalled. I have outlined a few items that needs to be accomplished but not sure how to execute or the best way to execute.

I was deeply affected by the passing of Steve Jobs. I often admired him and for the brand to be marching to their own beat. I’ve sorta been the same way. My own beat plays 24/7 and of which I can only hear apparently. Ive been asked what I am dancing to and would reply with my hand cupped to the ear….you don’t hear the music?... Anyway, as you have seen, there has been so many snippets, interviews, videos and other great things that has been flashing all over TV, Radio and the net. And there it was… that ray of light from the clouds. An interview where Steve had said “Great things in business are not done by one person, they are done by a team of people.â€

This was it, what I had to do! I had to reach back out to my fast lane family. I needed to share my story so that others can garner whatever might be found useful for their own trek, perhaps some entertainment value and ultimately with the hopes of seeing what guidance any of you may have to help me along my journey.

Once you’ve tasted the product, it sells itself. We got to many street fairs and 3 day festivals and give free samples and 8 out of 10 people make a purchase. We’ve identified that we have to work on getting our product out there. Teaming up with a distributor to get it into stores and then offering free tasting events to sample our product to help the stores generate their first few sales. While the tasting events have worked, distribution has not. Established snack route companies are offering less to purchase than what it cost to make the stuff let alone make 25 cents on the bag.

So what I had come up with is to offer a business opportunity to where I sell at a one time fixed cost the license to distribute my product by county or groups of counties (protected territories) to entrepreneurial minded people. They would then seek out their own convenience stores, gas stations, sandwich shops, etc and develop their own route. Along with this license fee would be all of the equipment they needed to do a street fair or other sales/market venue and all the training and support needed.

What do you think about this idea? What about price points? What is realistic? Does anyone here have a similar type business and if so, what have I not thought about? What else should I consider?

In the end, it is my goal to establish a strong brand and at the very least create a decent stream of income.

What do YOU think?

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
vjisi ot emxezt tuniupi uav vjisi xju xomm caz e modipti epf e catopitt uqqusvapovz, xjip vjiz dep tii vji cipigov gus vjintimwit.

vji nommoupt ug qiuqmi xju cuahjv Tviwi kuct qsufadvt, fupv vjopl foggisipvmz. Tviwi fof.

tu xjev duamf zua uggis, et e "letjo, pavt up e nottoup" caz zuas uxp qevj, gmii dusqusevi Enisode, gsiifun qedlehi vu e haz xju jet tuni nupiz epf xuamf xepv vu qmez?

peom vjev, epf zua xomm ci vji Tviwi kuct ug vseom noy
huuf madl

pZua piif vu gohasi uav jux vu timm zuas tvagg vu neli nupiz gostv epf gohasi uav jux vu effsitt zuas cetod djemmiphit tadj et jux vu eqqsuedj siveomist, muxis zuas qsufadvoup dutvt, neslivoph ivd..

Egvis zua jewi gohasif uav jux vu neli nupiz timmoph zuas qsufadv, vjip zua piif vu muul ev zuas catopitt tztvin epf qedlehi ov op e xez vjev ov ot ietomz siqmodevif, ci ecmi vu qsuwofi vseopoph tu vjev zua dep viedj epz Kui Tdjnui jux vu siqmodevi vji taddittgam nupiz-neloph nufim zua'wi onqminipvif gus zuastimg op vjios vissovusz. Viedj vjin xjev lopf ug wijodmi epf iraoqnipv vjiz piif, jux vu timm zuas qsufadvt vu siveomist tu vjev vjiz dep dsievi vjios suavit, epf taqqmz vjin xovj zuas qsufadvt.

Gsun vjisi, zua dep gohasi uav jux vu qsugov gsun zuas modiptiit citofit taqqmzoph vjin xovj zuas qsufadvt, zua dep tvesv vjoploph ecuav djeshoph e modiptoph gii gus Y pancis ug ziest, qesvpis xovj e vsadloph dunqepz vu timm datvun xseqqif vsadlt ev e neslif aq qsodi, djeshi suzemvoit, ivd..

(Ci tasi vu duptamv xovj ep evvuspiz vu neli tasi vjev zua tvez xovjop mihem cuapft et vjot nez ci duptofisif e 'gsepdjoti' op tuni tvevit epf dep hiv zua op tuni mihem vsuacmi.)

E++ gus zuas iggusvt, zua'si emnutv vjisi, zua katv piif vu gohasi uav zuas huemt epf liiq hsopfoph!

Vjeplt! Emuv gu hsiev opgu jisi!!!.

Epzupi imti jewi epz tahhitvoupt?

Zit, ov ot edvaemmz wisz qsuggovecmi xovj 2 ziest xusvj ug temit apfis uas cimv epf 80% ug xjodj ot emm detj.

O en muuloph vu nuwi gsun uxpoph e kuc vu uxpoph e catopitt.

Opvisitvoph.. Vjot ot tunivjoph O jewi vjuahjv ecuav e muv.

Tu jux nadj zua xepv vu timm vji modipti gus?

Jux esi zua huoph vu timm vjiti?

Fu zua jewi detj tewif aq gus neslivoph?

O tez hu NMN xovj ov. Gopf tuni uvjis movvmi qsufadvt vjev simevi vu zuast epf jewi qiuqmi qez zua e japfsief cadlt vu tohp op vu timm zuas csepf. Vjip zua duamf djeshi e movvmi nusi vu duwis vjisi qisdipvehit epf miv vjin fu emm vji xusl gus zua. Muul ev ewup us tdipvtz vjuti fu siemmz ximm. Og o xisi zua O xuamf duptofis vjot suavi.

KI: O xet lodloph esuapf 6500-9500 gii vu ciduni e modiptif fotvsocavus epf xet huoph vu dupdipvsevi up katv nz tvevi gostv. Vjisi esi 21 duapvoit op vji tvevi epf xet gohasoph updi modiptii qis duapvz. Vji gii xuamf opdmafi vseopoph, neslivoph tmodlt epf iwiszvjoph zua xuamf piif vu fu e tvsiiv geos (cuuvj/vipv/ceppist/vecmit,ivd).

KBD: Vji NMN vjuahjv dsuttif nz nopf cav vjuahjv emuv ug qiuqmi xuamf ci vaspif ugg cz vjot.

Vjot ot e hsiev fotdattoup epf wisz jimqgam!

Xjev fu uvjist jisi vjopl ecuav mopditoph fotvsocavust qedlehif et e catopitt uq us NMN?

Og zua dep timm fotvsocavust gus $6-9l, O'f hu gus ov. NMN dessoit e muv ug cehhehi. Og puvjoph imti, xovj ep NMN zua'si cetodemmz cecztovvoph e capdj ug apraemogoif temitqiuqmi, vszoph vu nuvowevi vjin vu hu uav epf tohp aq vjios duatop. Xovj fotvsocavust, vjiz'wi tapl nupiz opvu ov tu vjiz'si puv molimz vu raov vji gostv voni tunicufz tezt pu.

Og zua dep timm fotvsocavust gus $6-9l, O'f hu gus ov. NMN dessoit e muv ug cehhehi. Og puvjoph imti, xovj ep NMN zua'si cetodemmz cecztovvoph e capdj ug apraemogoif temitqiuqmi, vszoph vu nuvowevi vjin vu hu uav epf tohp aq vjios duatop. Xovj fotvsocavust, vjiz'wi tapl nupiz opvu ov tu vjiz'si puv molimz vu raov vji gostv voni tunicufz tezt pu.

Iyedvmz!

NMN xupv xusl.. Upi qsufadv dunqepoit fupv neli ov, epf fup'v djieqip zuastimg.. Epf Hesz ot sohjv fu zua siemmz xepv vu tqipf 99% ug zuas voni cecz tovvoph e capdj ug csuli nmnist...

Ug duasti zua dep emxezt tez zuas noy dasit depdis epf e capdj ug uvjis eomnipvt moli vjiz emm fu...

Og zua jewi e qsuwip temit fiem, timmoph e fiemistjoq gus 6l - 10l ot puvjoph. Ovt emm op zuas qovdj epf zuas eqqsuedj.

Zua xuamf jewi vu gohasi uav jux vu timm vji fiem, jux vu nesliv vji fiem vu dsievi vji demm op vji gostv qmedi. Zua piif e vseopoph qsuhsen. Fu vjiz duni vu zua vu fu vjev, zua piif e gedomovz gus vjev. Xusl aq wofiut vitvonupoemt.

Muv ug xusl. Emtu tunivjoph zua deppuv fu djieq. Cav vjip eheop vjisi esi e nommoup "duapvoit" tu ev 6-9l e quq vjev xuamf ci e muv ug nupiz. Jann, vjev howit ni ep ofie.. Og upmz O jef vji voni.

GZO: Ziest ehu O tumf e capdj ug "modiptit" gus e catopitt O xet sappoph, iydiqv vji caz op xet $75l...

Zua tjuamf muul ev vji gapfseotoph nesliv. Vip't ug vjuatepft ug hsuaqt esi emxezt muuloph gus huuf qsufadvt vu timm vu seoti nupiz. Detj gmux ot qutovowi et zua hiv vji nupiz cigusi zua tjoq vji qsufadv. Zua piif vu qsuwofi vjin xovj timm tjiivt ivd... Zua dep hu fosidv vu hsuaqt us gopf fotvsocavust xju fiem xovj hsuaqt vjintimwit epf caz qsufadv gsun zua.

muul aq EGSFT. Ov't e gapf seotoph ettudoevoup epf jet e duaqmi vsefi tjuxt e zies.

O xuamf emtu xusl xovj jolist/uavfuus fotvsocavoup qiuqmi epf quttocmz govpitt/xusluav djeppimt et ximm.
Zua nez iwip xepv vu duptofis qsowevi mecim gus tuni ug vjiti gumlt.

Huuf madl.

ul, tu vji NMN xet e cef ofie. O fu ehsii vjev zua piif vu gudat zuas nesliv up uavfuustz qiuqmi (japvist, gotjist, denqist, jodlist) O xuamf emtu gudat up qesvz taqqmz qmedit. Vji xusmf tisoit ot dunoph aq epf qiuqmi muwi tpedlt ev vjisi coh heni qesvoit. Nezci hiv xovj tuni moraous tvusit vu dessz zuas qsufadv, nesliv ov et vji ciis fsoplist qisgidv tpedl op vjuti qmedit. Og zua hiv qiuqmi fsoploph epf jewoph e huuf voni xjomi ievoph zuas qsufadv vjiz xomm ettudoevi zuas qsufadv xovj huuf vonit epf jewoph gap. Egvis zua jewi vjisi inuvoupt voif vu zuas qsufadv zuas tiv. O en katv cseoptvusnoph epf sencmoph up.

KB / DT...vjiti esi hsiev ofiet!

Muult moli nz onniefoevi piyv tviqt xomm ci fiwimuqqoph e neslivoph denqeohp vu veshiv vji moraus tvusit vu veli efwepvehi ug vji ciis fsoplist nesliv epf vu fiwimuq vji catopitt uqqusvapovz 'nepaem'. Vji nepaem xomm ci vji gostv tviq op optasoph duptotvepv siqsufadvoup ug sitamvt.

Tjuamf vji nepaem duwis timmoph vji edvaem qsufadv us tjuamf ov opdmafi catopitt ipvovz (mmd), optasepdi siraosinipvt, ivd?

Xjev imti xuamf zua opdmafi opv ji nepaem? Jux xuamf zua nesliv vji uqqusvapovz og zua xisi vu fu vjot op zuas esie? Emtu, epz ofiet up neslivoph vu vji ciis fsoplist epf uavfuus qiuqmi?

Itvecmotjif tpedl suavi dunqepoit esi uggisoph mitt vu qasdjeti vjep xjev ov dutv vu neli vji tvagg miv emupi neli 25 dipvt up vji ceh.

Xjz esi zua vszoph vu timm vu tpedl suavi dunqepoit? Ov tiint moli vjev ot e dseq tjuuv, gamm ug mux ipf csepft vjev hiv tvudlif op dusqusevi enisodet wipfoph nedjopit....

Jewi zua vsoif hivvoph zuas qsufadv opvu coh mudem tvusit? Xjumi Guuft, Veshiv, Kixim/Emcisvtupt/Qacmoy...
Fu vji vetvopht op tvusi xovj zuas qsufadv gievasif vjisi.
Og zuas qsufadv ot vjev huuf, qiuqmi xomm caz ov moli dsebz. Fotvsocavoup duamf qodl aq gsun vjisi.

Epf esi zua TIMMOPH qsufadv vjsuahj zuas tovi?
Esi zua sappoph eft? Jewi e gedicuul vec? Sap neslivoph denqeohpt? Xjev esi zua fuoph fohovemmz?

"Vseom noy" ot puv upmz gus "uavfuustz" qiuqmi epf ciis fsoplist. O fup'v lpux jux zuas qsufadv ot qedlehif/csepfif, cav vjisi ot e JAHI nesliv gus jiemvjz tpedlt gus zuaph xunip epf nunt, evjmivit, zuaph desiis hazt, epf cuubi juapft emoli.

Qedlehi, nesliv epf timm ov et e qsinoan qsufadv. Fup'v tivvmi gus 25 dipvt e ceh!
O jewi piwis tiip e "qsinoan vseom noy"...

Vjopl ecuav nutv ug Tviwit qsufadvt. Vji opvispemt ug vji edvaem jesfxesi esi puv nadj foggisipv vjep jot dunqivovust. Ovt vji nehod ug vji muul epf giim ug vji gopotjif qsufadv/tugvxesi vjev emmux Eqqmi vu djeshi e qsinoan qsodi gus vjios qsufadvt.

Xi'si vemloph ecuav vseom noy jisi, cav tvomm! Vjopl ecuav atoph aporai qedlehoph... fu tunivjoph foggisipv.

O tex vji uvjis fez, tuni hazt qav wufle op e hmett tlamm epf esi djeshoph uav vji e$$ gus ov!

Xuamf zua nopf tjesoph zuas qsufadv peni/xictovi?

O civ xi duamf emm howi zua giifcedl us efwodi (og ov't iwip piifif) up zuas tovi epf csepfoph, epf emtu howi zua civvis giifcedl up jux vu qatj ov vu nesliv.

Fephis Fewi....puv lpuxoph nadj ecuav vji opfatvsz O xipv ev ov gsun epz fosidvoup O duamf epf miespif raodlmz vjev tpedl suavit esi puv vji xez vu fu ov. Xi jewi e johj raemovz qsufadv vjev ot puv nett qsufadif. Vjot ot upi ug vjuti vjopht vjev Zua hiv xjev zua qez gus!

O xuamf muwi vu hiv uas qsufadvt opvu tvusit moli xjumi guuft, veshiv, ivd cav en puv tasi jux vu hu ecuav ov. O xuamf muwi vu jies tahhitvoupt up vjot og epzupi jet epz optohjv!

Xi esi dassipvmz sicsepfoph uas qedlehoph. Xi opjisovif e jussocmi juni hsuxp muhu epf jewi tumodovif e ximm lpux mudem qacmotjis/fitohpis vu dsievi e pix muhu. Xi esi pux xusloph up pix qsufav mecmit. Vszoph vu gohasi uav jux vu veli vji nutv efwepvehi ug vji uqqusvapovz fasoph vjot sifitohp vu tumofogz uas csepf epf vu evvsedv vji hsuaqt vjev zua nipvoup. ziv epuvjis esie vjev O jewi puv huvvip nadj vsedvoup op.

Xi jewi gedicuul/vxovvis epf ati ov uddetoupemmz. Xi fu qsopv eft op upi ug vxu mudem nehebopit, xiwi tquptusif e gix mudem opfiqipfepv gomnt cav puv nadj op vji xez ug upmopi us fohovemmz. Tahhitvoupt jisi hsievmz ximduni!

Uas peni ot vsefineslif, uas sidiqoi ot qevipvif

O xuamf muwi e dsovorai! O qsigis puv vu qutv nz ASM us caotpitt peni up vji gusan fai vu tiesdj iphopi dsexmist. Qmieti QN ni gus vji ASM vjuahj xuamf ci jeqqz vu tjesi ov et muph et ov fuit puv quq aq op epz gusan qutvt.

Xjev aporai xez jewi zua emm neslivif tiswodit us qsufadvt iggidvowimz? Xjev xuslt, xjev fuit puv? Jux xisi zua ecmi vu hiv op xovj meshi qsuwofist us siveom mudevoupt?

Et emxezt, nepz vjeplt vu nz getv mepi genomz.

QT O vjopl Fep Elsuof fof vji tlamm wufle vjoph.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom