The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have an idea! But need some advice.

Idea threads
D

Deleted42084

Hello Fastlane members,

In the past, I have met many men and women, who were highly successful in creating their own wealth. In all encounters, both the men and women lived lavished lifestyles supported by, what I would now consider, a ‘fastlane’ business. But in each encounter, not once did I ask, “how did you make your money” or “how did you start your business”. Doing this would have played a significant role in understanding the path to success. A few weeks ago, I received entrepreneurial advice on the benefit of starting my own business, which sparked me to research everything about ‘business and success’. I came across The Millionaire Fastlane in my local bookstore, and after a few pages in, I was hooked. MJ is a genius and an absolute saint for sharing this information.

I am currently in the idea stage of my fastlane business, so I wanted to get some perspective on building an ecommerce/social commerce website. There have been questions that I’ve answered through a lot of research, but it sometimes leads to more questions that haven’t been answered.

So, here are my questions to you members!

What is the best option for possibly selling a wide variety of products/brands online? (think cosmetic industry). Is it, finding a distributer that carries a wide range of product and purchasing stock, or affiliate marketing?

One of my first and obvious issues is not being an established retailer (yet). To my knowledge, large distributers may be reluctant to sell to an unknown source, especially if there is not a high volume of orders.

Affiliate marketing all products/brands may be the best way to “carry” everything on the site. However, my biggest issue with this is not allowing users to buy the products off of ONE site, which I wanted to use as my selling feature.

I have also heard of “drop shipping” where a manufacturer or wholesaler does the delivering process of products on behalf of your website. This seems very convenient and less complex. However, I’m not sure if there will be manufacturers or wholesalers that carry a wide range of cosmetic brands, and use this option.

Lastly, a point that needs to be considered for 3 all options is region. I live in Canada, therefore may limit cosmetic brands available in Canada (if working with a Canadian distributer). Or should I launch from the US?

Please let me know your thoughts, I’d appreciate as much feedback as possible.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Affiliate marketing all products/brands may be the best way to “carry” everything on the site. However, my biggest issue with this is not allowing users to buy the products off of ONE site, which I wanted to use as my selling feature.

I'm not sure exactly what scenario You want /don't want. Do you want to sell on Your site Only (and not allow users to drift away to other sites)?

D

Deleted42084

I'm not sure exactly what scenario You want /don't want. Do you want to sell on Your site Only (and not allow users to drift away to other sites)?

Those are my two decision factors. I need advice on the best route to take as a start up business, whether it be selling product or taking the affiliation route. Better clarity on each option(my questions above) will give me insight on my final choice.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Product selection:
- Focus on small niche. It's better if you succeed in selling to 1000 people, but on regular basis. The amount of satisfaction you can bring to these people is incomparable to what you could achieve with broader audience.
- Start by purchasing products you particularly want to sell, evaluate them and try to sell them first. It will also allow you to produce content based on your experience with these products. Be honest and make yourself trustworthy.

Establishment:
- Be your own best testimonial. Your establishment will grow as this testimonial will post more top-notch photos and videos on instagram, youtube and snapchat. People will follow. Then give your customers a reason to post their experience with your products.
- Start local first. If you can succeed on smaller scale in local market - your journey to neighbour markets will be more efficient.

You worry about too many details, start simple - grow as you go.

H Dog

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Sep 8, 2015
I can help you out here because I'm in the process of doing it myself. (I'm basically trying three things out and seeing which one gains traction (margins,logistics,fast cash flow etc))...

So pick a niche.

Then contact a manufacturer (go on other websites and see which products are the best sellers) within that niche.

Ask manufacturer for a list of their wholesalers.

Contact wholesalers and ask if they drop ship (for limited liability).

Get price lists and product info (HD images etc)

Set price and sell the hell out of the product!

(this is theory - people correct me if I'm wrong please - obviously ALOT harder in practice).

D

Deleted42084

Do you not have money to spare? Sell someone elses products...take commissions . affiliate..

I don't have any money set aside, especially for the quantity of products that I'd need to purchase. So Affiliate marketing would seem like the most convenient and expansive option(as a startup).

What is the process of getting other companies to affiliate with? For example, one of the brands I'd like to market on my website is Anastasia beverly hills. Do I contact their marketing team to get approval? Or can I contact a comapny like Sephora, which sells Anastasia Beverly hills, PLUS many other brands, which I can market as well. Thereby getting approval on a wider range of brands/products that I can affiliate?

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
That would be on you to do your research, alot of the time you can goto the bottom of websites and they have .
For example you mentioned sephoria
upload_2016-8-26_14-35-50.png

Profit with AM ive heard is thin ,but there is money made in some instances.

Google will be your friend/teacher ..just ask it some questions lol

D

Deleted42084

You could look up https://prosperent.com, they have sephora Anastasia beverly hills (close to 400 products) and others.
Its free.

Thank you! I will further look into their services.

That would be on you to do your research, alot of the time you can goto the bottom of websites

Profit with AM ive heard is thin ,but there is money made in some instances.

Google will be your friend/teacher ..just ask it some questions lol

Perfect! Thank you, will definitely be continuing my research before diving in. I want to make sure that I get my ground work done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.