• Forum Upgrades Ongoing: Please pardon the dust. Starting Saturday afternoon 3 PM (MST) 6PM (EST) and for the next 48 hours, the forum will be undergoing style modifications and may not appear as normal. Please be patient as modifications are performed...
    Thanks, MJ!

IDEA I just started a new business, should I start a side-hustle along with it?

Idea threads

gmoney1995

New Contributor
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
50%
Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.
Hello fellow entrepreneurs,

Embarking on the entrepreneurial journey while holding a full-time job has always been a balancing act. Fortunately, my current job offers me the flexibility to explore new ventures. I've recently launched a local directory site tailored for businesses in my county, offering them unparalleled control over their listings. This isn't just another directory site; it's a vibrant platform where businesses can showcase deals, events, offers, coupons, jobs, reviews, socials, and contact information. Each subscription plan is designed with unique features to cater to different needs, ensuring value for both the businesses and the community. Just two weeks in, and my focus has shifted towards cultivating a brand that resonates rather than merely a business that operates.

Drawing inspiration from MJ DeMarco's "The Millionaire Fastlane," I've been intrigued by the idea of engaging in a side-hustle, one that might not be glamorous but fills a critical need. Before conceiving my directory site, I identified a gap in the market for a trash cleaning service within my upper-middle-class neighborhood. This service, albeit less appealing, addresses a genuine concern – managing unpleasant odors no one wants to deal with, highlighted by a neighbor's complaint. DeMarco advocates for businesses that can operate independently of your time, a principle my directory site adheres to, yet I'm contemplating if the trash cleaning service can achieve the same scalability and autonomy.

This journey into entrepreneurship is a new frontier for me. It raises questions about the feasibility of juggling a full-time job, a budding business, and a potential side-hustle. Is it prudent to invest my time in a venture that's inherently time-consuming and, frankly, dirty? Yet, as DeMarco suggests, sometimes the path to success requires us to "get our hands dirty."

The critical lesson here is the distinction between working in your business versus working on your business. My goal with the directory site is to create a self-sustaining model that generates income independent of my direct involvement, embodying the Fastlane philosophy. However, the idea of the trash cleaning service presents a challenge in this regard, prompting a reflection on its scalability and my willingness to delve into potential 'human resource management'.

Embarking on this entrepreneurial path has been a revelation, highlighting the importance of creating value, seizing opportunities, and strategically positioning oneself for financial independence. I'm eager to hear your thoughts and experiences in balancing these endeavors and adhering to the Fastlane's principles while navigating the complexities of entrepreneurship.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
You already have a full time job AND you're trying to grow your big visionary business. Why do you want to start the side hustle?

If its because you need some cash then sure.

If it's just for fun then that's low ROI when you can put that effort into building your main biz.

There are many things you can work on right now to grow your directory site. Cold calling local businesses, networking events, growing a social media page, SEO.

Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back