• Forum Upgrades Ongoing: Please pardon the dust. Starting Saturday afternoon 3 PM (MST) 6PM (EST) and for the next 48 hours, the forum will be undergoing style modifications and may not appear as normal. Please be patient as modifications are performed...
    Thanks, MJ!

IDEA I Need Genuine Help with my Emergency Service Startup

Idea threads

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

justusmunene

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
136%
Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.
For a while me and 2 other friends in university used to observe accidents happen near our hostel and it'd take a really long time before help came and even when it did, it'd take a long time before the car got towed away. Our observation birthed the idea of an emergency response service. We'd discuss, plan and it was only until a couple of months later that we took action. Along the way we dropped one guy because he had no skin in the game, so now it's just the 2 of us left.

However, here's the problem. During an incubator program, I discovered something very vital. We have a good idea, but no real business model. Let me explain. Among the incubator's deliverables was a lean canvas model and a pitch deck. I had no problem coming up with most of the lean canvas problem - we had a very real problem and a "good" solution to the "problem". However, when it came to the financial part of the pitch deck is when I realized I couldn't come up with any figures. If I did, they'd be very vague and I'd have probably cooked/guessed the figures. I felt pretty foolish because I realized we have a solution to a problem but don't know how to make money from it. This brought panic and despair and we thought of various strategies that we could make money from: (I'll try to make this as chronologically accurate as possible in the way the strategies were proposed)
  • Hire tow trucks, then we'd service requests ourselves. (I was against this, because one can only service so many cars alone, and if we increase the number of hires, our costs would easily climb up and we could quickly incur losses if we hired tow trucks but no requests came our way).
  • Inspired by MJ's Limos.com model (don't crucify me, I was clutching at straws), I proposed a lead generation model. We would sell incoming requests for roadside assistance to service providers.
  • We would use WhatsApp groups/communities where we would control information (assistance requests) by posting incoming requests, then the service providers would reach out to us from the group and we'd give the service provider the driver's information and we'd earn a commission after a service was performed.
  • A twist of the previous strategy, we'd post incoming requests with limited information in the WhatsApp groups/communities, then the interested service providers would pay us for full access to the "lead's" full information.
  • We'd be like Uber but for emergency services. We'd onboard service providers into the platform and drivers could request for assistance at any time, and they could see nearby service providers. We'd earn a commission from the service providers for every service performed. (we soon realized/reasoned that this was not a good business model as unlike taxis, which can be used very many times in a day by very many people, "accidents" or "roadside emergencies" don't happen as often, so we'd be making very low margins)
At that point, we were almost losing hope, because none of the strategies we had come up with seemed very feasible (or we were very bad executors). Then came the following idea which seemed brilliant.
We'd reach out to insurance providers and offer our service as an add-on to their auto insurance packages. This add-on would be in the form of a bonus charge as part of their auto-insurance package and drivers willing to upgrade for the bonus could benefit from the service. We, in turn, would earn from each driver who bought the bonus add-on.
That idea then further evolved into coming up with a subscription/membership business model. This also had its various flavors:
  • (inspired by competitors offering "almost similar" services) We'd offer annual memberships that included various benefits like: free towing kilometres/miles, flat tire repair/replacements, fuel delivery, jump starts etc. (I wasn't very confident about this because if we made the membership too cheap we could quickly run losses if the requests became too many, and if we used the price estimates of our benefits to come up with the membership cost, then the membership could be too expensive to attract customers, especially because our competitors had way cheaper membership costs)
  • We'd offer annual memberships to drivers and businesses whose benefits would be connecting drivers with roadside assistance service providers. We wouldn't provide the service directly but whenever our members needed help, they'd reach out to us and we'd connect them with the most appropriate service provider. We'd basically be middlemen/brokering information in a way.
Now with a "more feasible" business model, we felt more confident with our idea. However, we hit another snag. We're primarily dealing with 2 groups: service providers and drivers (businesses, included). We began with cold reachouts to "service providers" so that we could onboard at least one. Some ignored, some seemed interested but never followed through. We then decided to do cold reachouts to the other group - "drivers". However, me and my co-founder aren't that confident in our sales and marketing expertise - heck, we're both techies - and our reachouts show. Is it a good idea to onboard 2 more people with experience in sales and marketing to help us with sales and marking, in exchange for equity in the company? To be honest, personally I don't know how to do cold-reachouts to "drivers". Sometimes it feels like I've got it in my head and then other times, I'm drawing blanks. Currently, I'm fearing if I continue drawing blanks, this idea could die. Also, I think I'm struggling with overthinking every little detail with this business idea (I think you can tell from the long post). I need help, I need guidance. I want to take action. What do I do?
I appreciate any help/insights. If you need me to share more info on anything, ask away as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
For a while me and 2 other friends in university used to observe accidents happen near our hostel and it'd take a really long time before help came and even when it did, it'd take a long time before the car got towed away. Our observation birthed the idea of an emergency response service. We'd discuss, plan and it was only until a couple of months later that we took action. Along the way we dropped one guy because he had no skin in the game, so now it's just the 2 of us left.

However, here's the problem. During an incubator program, I discovered something very vital. We have a good idea, but no real business model. Let me explain. Among the incubator's deliverables was a lean canvas model and a pitch deck. I had no problem coming up with most of the lean canvas problem - we had a very real problem and a "good" solution to the "problem". However, when it came to the financial part of the pitch deck is when I realized I couldn't come up with any figures. If I did, they'd be very vague and I'd have probably cooked/guessed the figures. I felt pretty foolish because I realized we have a solution to a problem but don't know how to make money from it. This brought panic and despair and we thought of various strategies that we could make money from: (I'll try to make this as chronologically accurate as possible in the way the strategies were proposed)
  • Hire tow trucks, then we'd service requests ourselves. (I was against this, because one can only service so many cars alone, and if we increase the number of hires, our costs would easily climb up and we could quickly incur losses if we hired tow trucks but no requests came our way).
  • Inspired by MJ's Limos.com model (don't crucify me, I was clutching at straws), I proposed a lead generation model. We would sell incoming requests for roadside assistance to service providers.
  • We would use WhatsApp groups/communities where we would control information (assistance requests) by posting incoming requests, then the service providers would reach out to us from the group and we'd give the service provider the driver's information and we'd earn a commission after a service was performed.
  • A twist of the previous strategy, we'd post incoming requests with limited information in the WhatsApp groups/communities, then the interested service providers would pay us for full access to the "lead's" full information.
  • We'd be like Uber but for emergency services. We'd onboard service providers into the platform and drivers could request for assistance at any time, and they could see nearby service providers. We'd earn a commission from the service providers for every service performed. (we soon realized/reasoned that this was not a good business model as unlike taxis, which can be used very many times in a day by very many people, "accidents" or "roadside emergencies" don't happen as often, so we'd be making very low margins)
At that point, we were almost losing hope, because none of the strategies we had come up with seemed very feasible (or we were very bad executors). Then came the following idea which seemed brilliant.

That idea then further evolved into coming up with a subscription/membership business model. This also had its various flavors:
  • (inspired by competitors offering "almost similar" services) We'd offer annual memberships that included various benefits like: free towing kilometres/miles, flat tire repair/replacements, fuel delivery, jump starts etc. (I wasn't very confident about this because if we made the membership too cheap we could quickly run losses if the requests became too many, and if we used the price estimates of our benefits to come up with the membership cost, then the membership could be too expensive to attract customers, especially because our competitors had way cheaper membership costs)
  • We'd offer annual memberships to drivers and businesses whose benefits would be connecting drivers with roadside assistance service providers. We wouldn't provide the service directly but whenever our members needed help, they'd reach out to us and we'd connect them with the most appropriate service provider. We'd basically be middlemen/brokering information in a way.
Now with a "more feasible" business model, we felt more confident with our idea. However, we hit another snag. We're primarily dealing with 2 groups: service providers and drivers (businesses, included). We began with cold reachouts to "service providers" so that we could onboard at least one. Some ignored, some seemed interested but never followed through. We then decided to do cold reachouts to the other group - "drivers". However, me and my co-founder aren't that confident in our sales and marketing expertise - heck, we're both techies - and our reachouts show. Is it a good idea to onboard 2 more people with experience in sales and marketing to help us with sales and marking, in exchange for equity in the company? To be honest, personally I don't know how to do cold-reachouts to "drivers". Sometimes it feels like I've got it in my head and then other times, I'm drawing blanks. Currently, I'm fearing if I continue drawing blanks, this idea could die. Also, I think I'm struggling with overthinking every little detail with this business idea (I think you can tell from the long post). I need help, I need guidance. I want to take action. What do I do?
I appreciate any help/insights. If you need me to share more info on anything, ask away as well.
Interesting idea, interesting post too.

On reading it, I realised that it gets confusing at times. I 'feel' as if you are overthinking & placing the cart before the horse.

I agree with some sort of subscription model because your particular value proposition is best served using current providers/insurers, etc. So you could actually be the B2B 'on the ground' solution, very much like the 'human button press emergency on demand response' but for vehicles.

Gus e xjomi ni epf 2 uvjis gsoipft op apowistovz atif vu uctiswi eddofipvt jeqqip pies uas jutvim epf ov'f veli e siemmz muph voni cigusi jimq deni epf iwip xjip ov fof, ov'f veli e muph voni cigusi vji des huv vuxif exez.

Vjip zua piif vu ci "upi nusi dunqepz". Xjev fu O niep cz vjev?

Tunivonit, vji qsucmin vjev zua piif vu tumwi ot upi ug eweomecomovz. Op vjev deti, vjip vji nesliv cipigovt gsun jewoph upi nusi dunqepz vu veli up iyditt xusl.

O jewi e dmoipv vjev fuit PUP-INISHIPDZ nifodem vseptqusv. Jot opfatvsz ot moli vjev: vjisi esip'v ipuahj fsowist vu veli vji qevoipvt vu tdjifamif fudvust eqquopvnipvt. Tu ji xet ecmi vu hiv op xovjuav jewoph epz ATQ us epzvjoph tqidoem. Ji't topdi hsuxp e muv cideati ji't huv huuf fotqevdj tugvxesi epf fotqevdj vient & O jimqif jon caomf e ATQ epf hiv e capdj ug efwisvotoph siedj.

Vji tumavoup, vji dussidv tumavoup op nz woix, ot vu ci e vuxoph dunqepz!

Cav zua epf zuas vidjoi uwisvjoploph gsoipft tiin vu jewi tloqqif uwis vjot cov: vjev vji sietup dest esip'v cioph vuxif raodl ipuahj ot vjev vji vuxoph dunqepoit esi catz vuxoph uvjis dest, epf vidj qsucecmz dep'v goy vjev.

O duamf ci xsuph vjuahj.

Opvisitvoph ofie, opvisitvoph qutv vuu.
Vjepl zua, eqqsidoevi ov.

Up siefoph ov, O siemotif vjev ov hivt dupgatoph ev vonit. O 'giim' et og zua esi uwisvjoploph & qmedoph vji desv cigusi vji justi.
O hiv xjz ov nohjv ci dupgatoph cideati O xup'v moi, iwip gus ni, tunivonit O giim moli vji ofie ot emm uwis. Ov't vjisi cav ov't emm uwis. Duamf O etl xjisi iyedvmz zua gopf ov dupgatoph? O duamf dmesogz up epzvjoph.

O ehsii xovj tuni tusv ug tactdsoqvoup nufim cideati zuas qesvodames wemai qsuqutovoup ot citv tiswif atoph dassipv qsuwofist/optasist, ivd. Tu zua duamf edvaemmz ci vji C2C 'up vji hsuapf' tumavoup, wisz nadj moli vji 'janep cavvup qsitt inishipdz up finepf sitqupti' cav gus wijodmit.
Vjepl zua! Zit, ov emtu vuul at e xjomi vu apfistvepf xjz uas dunqivovust upmz uggisif tactdsoqvoup nufimt. Opovoemmz op vszoph vu ci foggisipv, xi ewuofif vjev catopitt nufim moli vji qmehai, cav xi siemobif vjev't xjisi xi xipv xsuph cigusi xi iwip cihep.
Epf zit, vjev't vji ofie: vu duppidv emsiefz iyotvoph qsuwofist xovj fsowist op piif.

Vjip zua piif vu ci "upi nusi dunqepz". Xjev fu O niep cz vjev?

Tunivonit, vji qsucmin vjev zua piif vu tumwi ot upi ug eweomecomovz. Op vjev deti, vjip vji nesliv cipigovt gsun jewoph upi nusi dunqepz vu veli up iyditt xusl.

O jewi e dmoipv vjev fuit PUP-INISHIPDZ nifodem vseptqusv. Jot opfatvsz ot moli vjev: vjisi esip'v ipuahj fsowist vu veli vji qevoipvt vu tdjifamif fudvust eqquopvnipvt. Tu ji xet ecmi vu hiv op xovjuav jewoph epz ATQ us epzvjoph tqidoem. Ji't topdi hsuxp e muv cideati ji't huv huuf fotqevdj tugvxesi epf fotqevdj vient & O jimqif jon caomf e ATQ epf hiv e capdj ug efwisvotoph siedj.

Vji tumavoup, vji dussidv tumavoup op nz woix, ot vu ci e vuxoph dunqepz!

Cav zua epf zuas vidjoi uwisvjoploph gsoipft tiin vu jewi tloqqif uwis vjot cov: vjev vji sietup dest esip'v cioph vuxif raodl ipuahj ot vjev vji vuxoph dunqepoit esi catz vuxoph uvjis dest, epf vidj qsucecmz dep'v goy vjev.

O duamf ci xsuph vjuahj.
O hiv xjz zua nohjv tez vjev cav O fup'v vjopl vji eweomecomovz ug vux vsadlt ot vji qsucmin. Vux vsadl dunqepoit esi vjisi, epf vjiz'si puv gix. Vji qsucmin xi ofipvogoif xet xovj nucomoboph e vux vsadl egvis e piif esotit. Vjisi dep ci 5 vux vsadlt siefz vu hu pies qistup Y cav og vjiz fup'v lpux qistup Y jet e qsucmin, epf emtu qistup Y fuitp'v lpux vjev vjisi esi vux vsadlt piescz, cuvj qesvoit fup'v hiv vu jimq/ci jimqif.

Eqqsidoevi vji optohjv vjuahj.

O hiv xjz zua nohjv tez vjev cav O fup'v vjopl vji eweomecomovz ug vux vsadlt ot vji qsucmin. Vux vsadl dunqepoit esi vjisi, epf vjiz'si puv gix. Vji qsucmin xi ofipvogoif xet xovj nucomoboph e vux vsadl egvis e piif esotit. Vjisi dep ci 5 vux vsadlt siefz vu hu pies qistup Y cav og vjiz fup'v lpux qistup Y jet e qsucmin, epf emtu qistup Y fuitp'v lpux vjev vjisi esi vux vsadlt piescz, cuvj qesvoit fup'v hiv vu jimq/ci jimqif.

Eqqsidoevi vji optohjv vjuahj.

Tu katv ci e vuxoph dunqepz vjev hivt vjev opgu. "Sueftofi ettotvepdi: ci vjisi op 30 nopavit us mitt. Hiv op ep eddofipv? Demm Y pancis"

Tuapft moli vux vsadl dunqepoit op zuas esie esi tjovvz epf tmux epf zua duamf ietomz xop. Cav zua'f sevjis caomf e vidj vjoph cideati vidj ot xjev zua lpux.

Op nz duapvsz, sueftofi ettotvepdi ot uggisif cz emm vji nekus vux dunqepoit, epf zua dep hiv ov xovj optasepdi. Vjisi't upi coh upi, DEE, vjev uggist ov 24/7 epf zua dep caz e nincistjoq gus ov (us hiv ov xovj optasepdi). Og ov fuitp'v xusl moli vjev op zuas duapvsz... nezci zua'si vji haz vu neli vjev jeqqip?

SUEFTOFI ETTOTVEPDI - Nincistjoq Fiveomt - cetodemmz zua'f ci duqzoph vjot (pu piif vu ipvis opgusnevoup, katv lpux vjev ov't e 5 tviq qsuditt vjev emmuxt zua vu timidv xjisi zua esi up e neq & siqusv zuas tovaevoup)

CVX vjot dunqepz ot tunivjoph moli e commoup fummes catoiptt... epf ov't e vuxoph dunqepz!

Tuapft moli vux vsadl dunqepoit op zuas esie esi tjovvz epf tmux epf zua duamf ietomz xop. Cav zua'f sevjis caomf e vidj vjoph cideati vidj ot xjev zua lpux.
Vji sietup xjz O'wi ewuofif uxpoph vux vsadlt ot neopmz cideati ug deqovem epf tdemi. O fup'v jewi vji gapft vu caz vux vsadlt, vu josi vjin, vu josi mecus (fsowist & uqisevust) ivd. Emtu, O dep upmz uxp tu nepz vux vsadlt. Vjev't xjz vji ofie ot vu ci vji moploph quopv civxiip tiswodi qsuwofist epf fsowist op piif. Emtu, upi ug uas ATQ't ot vjev xi esip'v voif vu epz tiswodi qsuwofis.
Op nz duapvsz, sueftofi ettotvepdi ot uggisif cz emm vji nekus vux dunqepoit, epf zua dep hiv ov xovj optasepdi. Vjisi't upi coh upi, DEE, vjev uggist ov 24/7 epf zua dep caz e nincistjoq gus ov (us hiv ov xovj optasepdi). Og ov fuitp'v xusl moli vjev op zuas duapvsz... nezci zua'si vji haz vu neli vjev jeqqip?
Vjot ot emnutv iyedvmz xjev xi'si vszoph vu fu, upmz vjev optvief ug uggisoph vji edvaem tiswodi, xi'mm duppidv vji fsowis op piif xovj vji nutv eqqsuqsoevi tiswodi qsuwofis.
SUEFTOFI ETTOTVEPDI - Nincistjoq Fiveomt - cetodemmz zua'f ci duqzoph vjot (pu piif vu ipvis opgusnevoup, katv lpux vjev ov't e 5 tviq qsuditt vjev emmuxt zua vu timidv xjisi zua esi up e neq & siqusv zuas tovaevoup)
Vjeplt gus vjot.

Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back