The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I really feel like im going to be a millionaire with this idea!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
ideaguy

A few things you may not know:

Some of the people who have responded to you on this thread are successful website builders.

Others are successful entrepreneurs who have taken their "ideas" and made them real-- real money earners.

Like millions of dollars.

So some of the advice you're getting here is pretty darn good.

I'm an idea guy, too.

I've developed systems that became worldwide standards within 18 months.

I've seen things from a different perspective-- and learned how to make money on those ideas.

I finally figured out that being the idea guy was fun-- but it really didn't make me millions.

So I did that somewhere else.

Now I've got my millions, and I can spend each day having fun w/my ideas.

It's a good life.

But something is important, that I'd like you to hear from an old-timer like me:

An idea isn't worth cow poop by itself.

I kid you not.

(and I'm not interested in your idea-- so no worries about me stealing it)

What's worth money is taking that idea, and developing all the infrastructure around it to have it actually make money.

THAT is the hard part.

All that infrastructure stuff.

You may think your idea is worth millions.

But until it can be successfully implemented, it's nothing.

Hope this doesn't burst your bubble-- not my intent.

Just want you to see that you might have a great car-- but without gas, it ain't going nowhere.

At this point, you have an idea about what makes a great car.

But you don't have the car built yet.

And you don't have the gas, either.

So get to work. That's what this site is all about! :banana:

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Oh, and BTW, i do "get" what you mean about your just having to *share* your idea, and the other websites can implement it-- so all you want to do is protect your idea from being stolen-- ie, how do you get it to your "buyers" (the websites that would use it).

You don't.

You make your own site, and beat them at it.

Or, they see what you're doing and either

a) buy your site, and the rights to your idea, or

b) steal your idea outright, and go do it themselves.

Sorry if we sound like a bunch of jaded jerks.

That happens when you've actually tried to do the things you're talking about.

You need to DO.

IDEAS = DREAMS

DOING = MONEY

-Russ H.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
ideaguy

A few things you may not know:

Some of the people who have responded to you on this thread are successful website builders.

Others are successful entrepreneurs who have taken their "ideas" and made them real-- real money earners.

Like millions of dollars.

So some of the advice you're getting here is pretty darn good.

I'm an idea guy, too.

I've developed systems that became worldwide standards within 18 months.

I've seen things from a different perspective-- and learned how to make money on those ideas.

I finally figured out that being the idea guy was fun-- but it really didn't make me millions.

So I did that somewhere else.

Now I've got my millions, and I can spend each day having fun w/my ideas.

It's a good life.

But something is important, that I'd like you to hear from an old-timer like me:

An idea isn't worth cow poop by itself.

I kid you not.

(and I'm not interested in your idea-- so no worries about me stealing it)

What's worth money is taking that idea, and developing all the infrastructure around it to have it actually make money.

THAT is the hard part.

All that infrastructure stuff.

You may think your idea is worth millions.

But until it can be successfully implemented, it's nothing.

Hope this doesn't burst your bubble-- not my intent.

Just want you to see that you might have a great car-- but without gas, it ain't going nowhere.

At this point, you have an idea about what makes a great car.

But you don't have the car built yet.

And you don't have the gas, either.

So get to work. That's what this site is all about! :banana:

-Russ H.

That's the main point which I think he doesn't get. I can come up with hundreds of great ideas right now like nanobots which enter the human body and keep us healthy and fit forever, intelligent robots, spaceships that can use wormholes to travel throughout the galaxy instantly, etc. Those are all great ideas; each worth hundreds of billions if not more, but I'm not capable of implementing any of them.

The point isn't to have a good idea; it's to be able to implement a good idea successfully, and that's what being an entrepreneur is all about; it's what separates those who talk a big game but don't follow through from those who are successful entrepreneurs. Coming up with ideas is fun, which is why anyone can do it.

Running a business on the other hand is difficult, especially in the early stages when you lack capital and a support network of employees, accountants, lawyers, bankers, etc. to help you succeed. The best advice I could give him is pretty much the same advice everyone else has given him so far; if he truly believes this idea is a good one then he should try to implement it on his own and see how it works out.

The great thing about the internet is that it doesn't take much money to start a business; you don't have to pay money to lease a brick and mortar storefront for instance or even have an office; everything can be done from your home and on your own. Your only costs are in buying domains, hosting costs, web design costs, etc. all of which shouldn't exceed $1,500. I managed to build a website by using a free CMS and my only costs were about $300, most of which came from purchasing about 15 domain names my hosting costs were just over $60.

I purchased lots of domain names because I wanted to make sure that if the website became popular that someone wouldn't get the .net or the .co version of my domain or names which are similar to my domain name.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
I can find free dating sites all over the internet but getting a million users a day or even close to that aint happening. If it was that easy I would have done it already.

You don't need a million or even one hundred thousand users a day for a proof of concept. Once you have that proof of concept, even if it is in the form of a website with only 1000 users a day, you have a much better position to talk to the big guys than without having any site.

Does your idea involve a patentable aspect? If so, file a patent application before publishing anything that will disclose your idea. I read that several functionalities of the Friendster website are protected by patents.

Forza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Mar 14, 2008
If it's a process/design that can be patented, good. If it's undeniable to everyone that it can increase dating site profits, good. Get it patented, and hire lawyers to protect it. Maybe the dating sites will become licensees. Any other type of business that it could apply to?

www.inventright.com
www.intelproplaw.com

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Wow, this thread exploded overnight...

This thread has gotten off track big time. The last sentence in my thread topic is "how do i go about selling this idea" Basically how would i present it to the top players in the dating game.

I never asked if my idea will work I already know it will. No one here knows if it will work without knowing my idea I never asked for opinions on that.

If that's all you want answered it's either to build your own dating site to implement it, or start calling dating sites. If the system is very easy to implement the former should be done once you have a huge user base to increase profits before others implement it.

I guess this is the wrong place to ask this question no one here has experience with what i am talking about it sounds.

I completely disagree. Think about the amount of time people have already invested reading, and replying here. It obviously isn't the answer you wanted, because this answer we give requires you work, but it's certainly not the wrong place.

You'll get nothing if you planned for one of us, or anyone, to just say, give me a call and we'll make you millions!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There is so much LEGEND in this thread.

Unfortunately, the LEGEND scared-off the original poster.

Hopefully he'll realize we are only trying to help him differentiate between ideas and doing.

LegendaryMotivational.jpg

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
A couple questions for the original poster, if s/he's still available [or others with similar ideas]:

How much do you have in mind is a good sum to get for your idea? Do you have a plan of how to charge the dating sites that want to implement your idea? [If I have a dating site, would you be willing to help me implement this idea and get money only if/when they start seeing money from the new model, or you just get my money and disappear and I have to figure out myself how to implement it and hope it works?]

Can an existing dating site use this model AND the current model they have at the same time? Example, plentyoffish.com could keep the free, ad-based model ANd implement your idea? Or they will need to switch the model completely to implement yours? [this is something I learned the hard way... companies hate risk. If a proposal implies they could lose their existing revenue by adding a new, unproven system then the answer is a flat NO]

If the critical factor for this idea to be successful is to have that amount of traffic then the dating sites don't need you, you need them. This is situation of weakness and you probably don't want to negotiate from that perspective. How are you planning to level the field so it is a real win-win, no-brainer proposition for the dating site?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This thread has gotten off track big time. The last sentence in my thread topic is "how do i go about selling this idea" Basically how would i present it to the top players in the dating game.

Why don't you just email the founder of Plenty of Fish? That's what I would do.

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
Whos getting defensive just making replies. Thanks for your opinion. I guess this is the wrong place to ask this question no one here has experience with what i am talking about it sounds.

Not sure if you are still checking this thread or not but as someone who has been here from the very begininning of this forum, let me just say this. a lot of the people here have seen a hundred people with a million dollar idea come her and go and never return. The people here who are giving advice have been there and done it, not just thought about it. Take the advice given here as it is good advice and dont get defensive, at the end of the day these people wont lose sleep if you make your million or dont. They already have theirs.

"The man sitting at the bottom of the mountain with a 100 ideas on how to get to the top shouldnt think the he knows more or can do it better than the guy who is 100 steps up the mountain." ME

ideaguy78

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 10, 2009
Not sure if you are still checking this thread or not but as someone who has been here from the very begininning of this forum, let me just say this. a lot of the people here have seen a hundred people with a million dollar idea come her and go and never return. The people here who are giving advice have been there and done it, not just thought about it. Take the advice given here as it is good advice and dont get defensive, at the end of the day these people wont lose sleep if you make your million or dont. They already have theirs.

"The man sitting at the bottom of the mountain with a 100 ideas on how to get to the top shouldnt think the he knows more or can do it better than the guy who is 100 steps up the mountain." ME

I haven't had time to read this thread because I am out working everyday and at night have lots of paperwork to do with my business. I run a pretty successful electrical business that takes up lots of my time.

I also will not lose sleep because of nay sayers on a chat forum. No one is getting defensive its called a rebutal or a response. I'm not over here pouting or crying because some peole dont like the idea:rofl:

On a last note I do not care about someone elses bank roll that doesn't mean shit only that you have more money then some. Just because someone makes millions in one area doesn't mean they are the authority of making millions in every business.

Lots of people told me running my own business is a big pain don't do it and work for someone else and let them deal with the problems. I was passionate about the electricial trade and I wanted to be my own boss so I did it anyway. I have a home worth $440k a 3 work vans worth 30k+ and tools worth thousands and thousands of dollars. I'm not a millionaire I don't need to be I'm very happy. I get to go out every day and do what I love and come home at night and work on my online ventures and ideas.

Trust me I do not take offense or lose sleep about anything said here.

p.s. people come and go here with ideas? Yes because they are out working on them no time to sit on a board.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Ideaguy, I think you have the wrong impression of what we're doing. We are NOT trying to discourage you, but at the same time, you have to know that just having an idea doesn't do anything.

Telling you it'd be as simple as just calling existing dating services, and selling it to them just isn't realistic if you plan to make millions. They don't care that you have an unproven idea. This NO WAY to guarantee something will work, until it is. Sure, you can have an idea if it might, but it's not a sure thing.

You have two choices:

-Develop a dating site yourself and implement it
-Call up existing sites and (try) to sell them the idea

The second WILL NOT make you millions if your idea is as good as you say it is. There really isn't another option, so if you don't like those options, we cannot help you.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
It took me years to realize that, working w/celebs and the mega-rich, that I had access to an unbelievable database of experience on successful business and life strategies.

ideaguy, we're not trying to talk you out of this, or tell you it won't work. But we're also not gonna be a cheerleading section and blow smoke up your skirt.

You've gotten some great advice here-- if you can't see it, that's your loss.

You sound like you're very happy being self-employed. I was, too. Until I read Rich Dad Poor Dad and then Cashflow Quadrant-- where Kiyosaki pretty much blew up my "own my own business" fantasy.

Running your own show is cool, and has a lot of plusses over working for someone else. But the real money is in running a business (where you can walk away for a bit, your employees keep it going day to day), or investing (ie, having your money work for you).

Our model is to have a business that throws off enough money to fund investments (ie, purchasing assets).

You can talk all you want about how the folks on this board "don't get it"-- but the bottom line is, many of us have been in your shoes: We started w/nothing more than an idea, and turned it into something that yielded hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of dollars.

You can laugh at that, or discount it, or convince yourself that taking an idea and turning it into money is not important, or relevant. It doesn't hurt our feelings.

-Russ H.

AJ.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2010
Ideaguy,

Why don't you actually start the site?
Implement your idea there?

Seriously!
Go for it!

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Send me a non-disclosure to sign. If I feel the same excitement about your idea I'll develop it or license it to other sites and work out a royalty for you.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Every time I see this thread title now, it makes me grin. :D

MJ, does your book have a name for people who are dreamers, but not doers?

Those w/"million dollar ideas" who don't want to DO THE WORK to turn their million dollar DREAMS into real money?

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.