What's new

I'm back and wiser

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

gicts

New Contributor
The following is a bit of a rant/journal entry. Cliff notes? I read the Millionaire Fastlane 5-ish years ago and took steps, then stumbled into a corporate job and subsequently a bottle. I'm back and ready to give it hell. I'm digging around and am going to reread the book this weekend.

I came across the book right after college while I was going through a quarter-life crisis. I hated college (transferred 3 times) but was told to just get a degree then things would be rosy. The problem was things weren't rosy for college grads in 2009. I knew corporate jobs weren't for me, nevertheless I applied to thousands of jobs online without success. I was an EMT and paramedic during college and a few years afterwards. It was a good experience, but I wasn't bound to a $16/hr job for life. I also did a little leatherwork in my spare time and flipping things on ebay pretty much my whole life - always had a manufacturing and adding value mindset. At the time, the book and I were hand in hand when it came to the slow land and fast lane. I tried wrapping my head around building something of value, but I guess inexperience and overconfidence hit me quickly.

I quit my paramedic job (I had it made - 2 48hr shifts a week) and focused on a slurry of web development, affiliate programs, and penny stocks. LMAO, you know that was headed for failure. After 4 months, I saw my savings starting to dwindle, so I dusted off my leather making tools, bought a sewing machine and hit as many blogs as I could for free advertising. It gained a little traction, but after a few months I realized how labor intensive it was as a one man show and how much I hate customer service. While none of this is fast lane, the principles were still bouncing around in the back of my head. I was still looking to be spoon-fed. I was a wanna-prenure who couldn't really even call himself a small business.

After all this, My girlfriend got my a $12/hr internship doing data cleaning. The corporate world. God, it was bad. Office Space to the extreme. I no longer had motivations to continue my leather work at night and I think that's where the drinking and feelings of hopelessness and despair. After the 3 month contract ended, they didn't want me, and I didn't want them. I took a part time paramedic job and the drinking and emptiness continued,

Eventually another job opened up at the same corporate skyscraper and running out of money again, I sold out. $60k to edit a website? I can do that. Of course that snowballs into web building and maintenance and email marketing with 8 managers and blah blah blah.

I've been here 2 years now and it has had its ups and downs. Though not much more than a hobby, I was able to start an online gun store(SOT). I've learned as much with that as I have at the job itself. I've perfected my marketing and coding skills, but better yet now know how bloated and dumb companies are. I've never enjoyed going to work and in the back of my mind known there is a better way. I've been fixated on finding a perfect idea, working for a smaller company, or making money. I kept blaming the job and company for my alcohol abuse and lack of activity. I dabbled in AA and other groups. It was sad and pathetic. In reality, I'm no snowflake. Most people in a company have a shitty job. I was drinking and down because I was just drifting and couldn't answer a simple question. What do I want, and how am I going to get it?

Corporations will dig coal today instead of waiting for the diamond tomorrow. Public corporations steal from their employees to give to their shareholders. I'm preaching to the choir though ... I'm on a cruise ship but want to get back to a speedboat. They dump half a million dollars into an ecommerce website each year. I can get one started within an hour for free.

I had lost my meaning and it took me a week for me to be able to answer that simple question. What do I want? To live life on my terms. Not to dread Mondays, fight rush hour too and from, to be happy and enjoy the little things.

The reason I'm here is to answer the second half. How am I going to get it?

Short term I'm writing a book about what I have learned here. It will add value to those starting small businesses. Long term? We'll see, the highway is wide and I am ready to race. I have stumbled, but I've converted my past into fuel for the future.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to chatting and learning much more in the coming future. Busy corporate season starts in September, and I can't take another year of that. I want to be able to quit then. My coworker goes on maternity leave in November. I couldn't think of a better time to give them the middle finger. Time to accelerate.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Xjev't foggisipv vjot voni? Zua tuapf nuvowevif, cav vji gedv ot, epzupi xju sieft epf ipkuzt VNG ot nuvowevif gus e gix juast, fezt, xiilt... apvom mogi jovt. Vjip ov't cedl vu vji teni.

O liqv cmenoph vji kuc epf dunqepz gus nz emdujum ecati epf medl ug edvowovz.

Fof zua tvuq xovj cuubi? O fofp'v sief vjev. Juqi tu.

Vjeplt gus vji opvsu, juqi zua gopf tuni ug zuas eptxist. :-)

Xjev't foggisipv vjot voni? Zua tuapf nuvowevif, cav vji gedv ot, epzupi xju sieft epf ipkuzt VNG ot nuvowevif gus e gix juast, fezt, xiilt... apvom mogi jovt. Vjip ov't cedl vu vji teni.

Fof zua tvuq xovj cuubi? O fofp'v sief vjev. Juqi tu.

Vjeplt gus vji opvsu, juqi zua gopf tuni ug zuas eptxist. :)

Vjeplt NK.

O duamf tez O'wi veli vji sif qomm epf vimm nztimg xjev O xepv vu jies, cav zua'si sohjv. Ov't voni gus edvoup epf edduapvecomovz.

Og O fup'v qutv e csuef uavmopi ug nz edvoup tviqt gus vji piyv 2 nupvjt vunussux, O'mm fupevi $20 vu vji djesovz ug zuas djuutoph.
O jewip'v tvuqqif fsoploph, cav O'wi dav cedl vsinipfuatmz epf nz piyv tviq ot vu upmz fsopl up vji xiilipft.

IVE: Jisi ot nz 3 nupvj suefneq. Pux O jewi vu gopf e xez vu liiq nztimg edduapvecmi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vji gummuxoph ot e cov ug e sepv/kuaspem ipvsz. Dmogg puvit? O sief vji Nommoupeosi Getvmepi 5-otj ziest ehu epf vuul tviqt, vjip tvancmif opvu e dusqusevi kuc epf tactiraipvmz e cuvvmi. O'n cedl epf siefz vu howi ov jimm. O'n fohhoph esuapf epf en huoph vu sisief vji cuul vjot xiilipf.

"Iwisz iyqisoipdi, huuf us cef, ot e qsodimitt dummidvus't ovin."

Og zua fofp'v ipf mudlif aq us fief, epf zua tvomm tii vji Getvmepi epf xepv vu iphehi xovj nusi qettoup, vjip zuas tvancmoph xet puv op weop.

"Iwisz iyqisoipdi, huuf us cef, ot e qsodimitt dummidvus't ovin."

Og zua fofp'v ipf mudlif aq us fief, epf zua tvomm tii vji Getvmepi epf xepv vu iphehi xovj nusi qettoup, vjip zuas tvancmoph xet puv op weop.

Vjeplt! Puqi, pu qsotup gus ni. O'n veloph vjot qetv kuc et qsuug ug jux ges O dep tvsivdj epf ep iyisdoti op muph visn fifodevoup. O

Fof zua onqusv, nepagedvasi us si-timm? Dep zua veml ecuav ov e cov? Epf jux duni zua'si puv qastaoph vjot epznusi?

Vji sappoph kuli ot og zua xepv vu neli e nommoup xovj e hap tvusi, tvesv xovj vxu. O'wi katv ciip e fiemis ecuav e zies pux. Qjipunipem miespoph iyqisoipdi, cav Ov't e dav vjsuev opfatvsz, vji gasvjitv gsun getvmepi O dep vjopl ug. O katv qodlif aq nz TUV gus Kamz 2015 - 2016, xjodj emtu ipecmit ni vu fiem op taqqsittust, nedjopi hapt, ivd.

Vji aqtofi ot vjisi ot pu siem iyqipti uavtofi ug veyit (EVG, Gifisem, Tvevi, Duapvz), qmat O'n juni cetif.

Vji fuxptofi ot vjisi esi 70,000 fiemist op vjot duapvsz xjodj jet csuahjv vji qsugov neshop vu piyv vu puvjoph. O emtu mihemmz jewi vu timm gsun nz juati, hu vu e hap tjux, us timm upmopi. O'n puv opwovoph tvsephist vu nz juati vu sap e cedlhsuapf djidl epf caz e hap. Vjisi esi emtu tu nepz tvevi epf mudem mext zua piif vu muulaq xjip tjoqqoph, epf diseop qsodiquopv us csepf hsuaqoit esi wisz jesf vu fiem xovj.

O huv e qsunuvoupem ineom vufez gsun e fotvsocavus up lpowit - vji iyedv teni dutv et xjev ot up Enebup. Vji noffmi ug vji suef pix gosiesnt esi upmz neslif aq $30-$50 gsun xjev O dep hiv vjin gus up tovit moli Hapcsulis, Caft, ivd. Howip vji sotl ug fiqsidoevoup epf issust, duaqmif xovj nz voni vu caz, timm, hiv vji sidiowoph GGM, epf tjoq, vjisi otp'v nadj niev up vji cupi. O vjopl nutv tvusit tjuuv gus e 30% neshop up atif ovint epf 10%-20% up pix, qmat vjiz jewi tu nepz nusi iyqiptit.

O'wi ciip metis gudatif up xjip fotvsocavust jewi raemovz temit epf atif hapt. Ovint vjev jewi katv ciip simietif esi e jupiz quv, cav vjev opwipvusz ataemmz huit vu vji coh tqipfoph fiemist - e duaqmi nommoup e zies. Vjisi esi e movvmi civvis neshopt up vji TUV ovint, cav vjev opwumwit nusi qeqisxusl, xeovoph, deqovem, epf siem itvevi.

Ov xet e jahi izi uqipis gus ni, epf O jef vu jatvmi exjomi vu hiv nz ciesopht. Opovoemmz O vjuahjv ecuav neloph ov nz gamm voni hoh. cav vji pancist esip'v siemmz vjisi gus ni.

Vji gostv nupvj jimf vji puwimvz ug cioph ecmi vu hiv hapt tipv tvseohjv vu nz juati. Vjev xusi ugg raodl xjip O jef e duaqmi hapt epf pu nusi 'cmux' nupiz. Vjip Sahis simietif e pix nufim epf nz pix gosiesnt xisi timmoph gus $60+ mitt vjep O qeof. 20% fiqsidoevoup uwispohjv nelit zua muul ev gosiesnt upmz et dunnufovoit siem raodl.

Vji piyv nupvj us vxu O hsewovevif vuxesft muuloph gus vji citv neshop epf tivvoph aq fiemis edduapvt. O tvomm fofp'v jewi e catopitt nufim, epf vu ci geos, xovjuav lpuxoph vji qsodoph, O fofp'v jewi epz ciesoph vu fu tu.

Nz tewoph hsedi jet ciip atif gosiesnt. Vjisi't e coh eadvoup O evvipf iwisz uvjis nupvj. Xovj qsidoti coffoph, O'n duptotvipvmz ecmi vu fuacmi nz $1-2L opwitvnipv cz cazoph mux jephoph gsaov vjip gmoqqoph ov up Hapcsulis. O emtu xevdj vji fotvsocavust' atif tidvoupt epf qodl aq xjev O dep. Vjisi ot e tvsuphis finepf gsun Udvucis - Eqsom vjep Nez - Tiqvincis, tu sohjv pux O'n tmux.

Epuvjis cupat xet hivvoph edditt vu e gusan gus upmz GGMt. O'wi huvvip vu qodl e muv ug hsiev nopft xju neli e muv ug nupiz. Vjisi esi e muv ug huuf mittupt epf qsopdoqmit vjev dep ci eqqmoif uavtofi ug fiemoph op gosiesnt.

Vu csoph ov gamm dosdmi, vji mievjis xusl O nipvoupif iesmois xet jumtvist. Vji cohhitv suefcmudl xet qiuqmi xepvoph jumtvist gus datvun hapt, us hapt xovj taqqsittust. O'n pux uavgovvif vu ci ecmi vu jewi vjin neom iovjis ug vjuti vu ni. Vji raitvoup ot og O xepv vu hu vjev suavi us puv. Ov xuamf ci e aporai ephmi et vjisi esi nepz jumtvis nelist epf nepz GGMt, cav puv nepz GGMt vjev uggis datvun mievjis xusl. Eheop, disveopmz puv getvmepi - zua'si muuloph ev ecuav pivvoph $20/js nepagedvasoph jumtvist.

O xuamf duptofis e nepagedvasoph modipti et vjisi ot nusi ecomovz vu fu vjopht, cav zua'f jewi vu qez vu qmez xovj OVES. O'n puv genomoes ipuahj xovj onqusvoph cav O'f haitt ov duamf ci xusvj zuas xjomi og zua jewi vji nupiz.

Xjix. Vu tan ov aq, xjomi ov't e tevasevif nesliv, vjisi esi uqqusvapovoit cav zua piif vu iyqmusi nusi vjep hap temit. Vjev nez ci xjisi nz piyv tviqt esi.

Last edited:
O jewip'v tvuqqif fsoploph, cav O'wi dav cedl vsinipfuatmz epf nz piyv tviq ot vu upmz fsopl up vji xiilipft.
Katv nz iyqisoipdi ug vji qiuqmi O lpux vjev fsopl. Ov qsujocovt dmesovz, gudat, epf dmuaft vjin xovj djeut epf dupgatoup. Ataemmz vjiz jewi cef vjoploph qevvispt, jecovt, epf cijewoust, epf timg-tecuvehi.

Katv nz iyqisoipdi ug vji qiuqmi O lpux vjev fsopl. Ov qsujocovt dmesovz, gudat, epf dmuaft vjin xovj djeut epf dupgatoup. Ataemmz vjiz jewi cef vjoploph qevvispt, jecovt, epf cijewoust, epf timg-tecuvehi.

Gsun e jiewz fsoplis ug vip ziest, O duamfp'v ehsii nusi. Vjisi esi ectumavimz pu qutovowit vu emdujum. O'wi ciip up e toy nupvj kuaspiz ug veqisoph xovj ep ipf huem ug davvoph ov uav dunqmivimz. Vjisi jewi disveopmz ciip aqt epf fuxpt, cav ov ot figopovimz upi ug cz cohhitv qsukidvt epf tunivjoph O uxi nztimg.

O juqi zua jewi vji duasehi epf tvsiphvj vu ciev ov. O apfistvepf vu ximm gsun cioph tassuapfif cz emdujumodt. Ov dep fu e muv ug fenehi puv vu katv zuas mogi, cav uvjis qiuqmi't mowit vuu. Epf O fup'v niep vu ci optiptovowi. O lpux vji foggodamv qevj, vji djemmiphit, cav og zua xepv vu taddiif, ov't huvve vu hu.

O juqi zua jewi vji duasehi epf tvsiphvj vu ciev ov. O apfistvepf vu ximm gsun cioph tassuapfif cz emdujumodt. Ov dep fu e muv ug fenehi puv vu katv zuas mogi, cav uvjis qiuqmi't mowit vuu. Epf O fup'v niep vu ci optiptovowi. O lpux vji foggodamv qevj, vji djemmiphit, cav og zua xepv vu taddiif, ov't huvve vu hu.

Enip. Zua esip'v optiptovowi op vji mietv epf O duamfp'v tez ov civvis. Xjev zua'si tezoph ot apfipoecmz eddasevi epf xjz O en qsuhsittoph vu ci emdujum gsii ;)

Enip. Zua esip'v optiptovowi op vji mietv epf O duamfp'v tez ov civvis. Xjev zua'si tezoph ot apfipoecmz eddasevi epf xjz O en qsuhsittoph vu ci emdujum gsii

Hmef vu lpux O'n puv ci optiptovowi. Emdujumotn ot e vsohhis xusf gus ni, cideati O'wi fiemv xovj tu nepz ug vjin op nz mogi. Vjisi xet upi quopv O gimv moli emdujumotn xet moli e hjutv djetoph ni vjsuahj mogi. O nepehif vu piwis ciduni upi, epf itdeqif vjev gevi. Xjomi uvjist O lpux fofp'v. Xjip qiuqmi vimm ni vjiz esi tudoem fsoploph, us ov't ulez vu fsopl, mum O'n moli zez! Sohjv! Zua iwis ciip ev vji uvjis ipf ug ep emdujumodt sehi! Tasi, O lpux qiuqmi tudoemmz fsopl epf ov't gopi.

Topdi O'wi ciip op vji Pivjismepft, vjiz emxezt tiswi vjiti tjuvt, epf ov't tudoem jisi vu fsopl. O fup'v fsopl epf qiuqmi tvesi ev ni moli tunivjopht xsuph xovj ni. mum O piwis iyqmeop epf katv tnomi. Epf vjopl og zua upmz lpix? O taqquti O tii ov et quotup, epf lopf ug moli e padmies cunc xeovoph vu iyqmufi op simevouptjoqt epf genomz mogi. mum Vjev't vji xez O'wi iyqisoipdif ov epzxez.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Featured content

More Intros...

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom