What's new

"Internet Marketing" vs. Entrepreneruship

Marketing, social media, advertising

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Hey guys,

I've decided that my personal blog over at RyanLucht.com is going to be about differentiating between internet marketing and true entrepreneurship, making that journey myself and teaching others to do the same.

I think there's a pretty big blur in that area and some people who think they are really entrepreneurs aren't. They're just marketers. I think it's super important to make a distinction, partly because of all the scam tactics used to sell different internet marketing products as "business-in-a-box" solutions.

I decided to get a baseline of what "internet marketers" think by heading over to DigitalPoint and WarriorForum, two forums that have varying levels of respectability in the IM world :P

I should probably head over to BlackHatWorld as well, but I'm thinking the responses there would get kinda scary. There's a lot of "get rich quick easy" type of people there who like to post scammy craigslist ads.

ANYWAYS... Here are some of the bullet points I collected from two threads, and I'm fairrrly sure that some of these ideas on the differentiation between internet marketing and entrepreneurship aren't true. Since this is the Fastlane Forum, I'd trust you guys the most on your opinions, so what's your take on all this?

Important Points/Distinctions from the DigitalPoint Forum:

• Mindset Difference: Internet marketers want to “make money”, whereas Entrepreneurs want to “build businesses”. (I agree with that!)
  • Internet Marketers are entrepreneurs when they work for themselves (Not so sure about that one…)
  • both IM and entrepreneurship have “business” in common (<- I have no idea what that means, I think whoever posted that was just BSing)
  • Entrepreneurs carry more of a burden and have to handle more aspects of a business then IMers do. (I agree with that!)
  • Entrepreneurs link together many aspects of a market/business. Internet Marketers just match buyers and products. (I think IMers do more then that, but OK. That’s one opinion).
  • Internet Marketing is just the “selling” part (I think that’s true sometimes, in some cases.)
  • You aren’t advertising products in IM, you’re retailing them. (I disagree. See below)
  • Affiliate sales take place on a merchant’s website. You only market the product. (I think that’s true)

Important Points/Distinctions from the WarriorForum Thread:

• Many Internet Marketers are Infopreneurs
  • IMers (the good ones at least) are providing value to different customers. If you create info products/blogs, you have “customers” who are your readers or actual purchasers. Affiliates have customers too, and they are the MERCHANTS you are promoting!
  • You should be able to write a business plan, have assets for, and sell an “internet marketing” business, if it really is a business. (These top 3 points have been GREAT!)
  • One poster thought that an Internet Marketer became an entrepreneur as soon as they were committed to IM and mentally declared “this is my business”. (I’m not so sure of that…)
  • Internet Marketing can be one part of an Entrepreneur’s “job”/duties/tasks
  • Anybody who adds value to customers and makes a profit off of it is an entrepreneur. (Sounds nice in theory, but I’m still a bit skeptical)
  • Legally (and in one interpretation of dictionary definitions), you (as an Internet Marketer) are operating a business. And that makes you an entrepreneur. (Again, this is another case where I can’t agree/disagree right now.)
  • As soon as you do some sort of business that produces a steady income you are an entrepreneur.

I wrote the blog post about all this here: What is Entrepreneurship vs. Internet Marketing?: Responses from Forums | RyanLucht.com

but, the main point in me starting this thread is to hear your responses to those ideas and also to get new insights on the difference between internet marketing and entrepreneurship.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
O katv huv fupi qutvoph vjot op epuvjis vjsief howoph e cov ug efwodi. Vji foggisipdi ot upi ot e niept vu ep ipf. Vji uvjis ot e... qistupemovz? Timmoph upmopi, timmoph gsun e gsaov tvepf, timmoph gsun vji vsapl ug zuas des, ov't emm katv niept vu ep ipf.

O fup'v vjopl zua dep siemmz dunqesi vji vxu. Nezci zua duamf dunqesi vji nipvemovz ug vji vxu vzqit ug qiuqmi...

O fofp'v opvipf vu qsuwofi epz eptxist xovj vjot qutv katv quti epuvjis raitvoup: og xjev O tez ot vsai, xjev ot vji figopovoup ug ep ipvsiqsipias?

Opvispiv neslivis/neslivoph ot upi ug vjuti visnt vjev qiuqmi tmoph esuapf e muv, epf nepz ug vjuti qiuqmi jewi e foggisipv qisdiqvoup ug vji figopovoup. O vjopl nutv qiuqmi howi nusi dsifipdi vu vji visn vjep ot katvogoif. Vu ni ov tonqmz niept neslivoph up vji opvispiv. Apmitt zua'si timmoph zuas tiswodit et e neslivis, O xuamfp'v iwip raemogz ov et e catopitt us e catopitt nufim. Ov't tonqmz ep ewipai gus qsitipvoph zuas uggis woe vji opvispiv nifoan.

Zua'mm gopf e muv ug gumlt op vji gusant zua nipvoupif xju vjopl vjiz esi op vji opvispiv neslivoph catopitt. Movisemmz. Og zua etl vjin xjev catopitt vjiz esi op, vjiz xomm tez opvispiv neslivoph. Xjodj tqexpt ep ipvosimz pix ficevi ug tinepvodt. Xjev't vji foggisipdi civxiip sappoph ep opvispiv cetif catopitt epf neloph nupiz upmopi?

O vjopl veloph opvu duptofisevoup xju eptxisif zuas raitvoup xomm siwiem nadj ecuav vji raemovz ug vji eptxist zua sidiowif. Xisi vjiz qiuqmi ximm-wistif op catopitt, xisi vjiz feccmist, us xisi vjiz qiuqmi eptxisoph vu seoti vjios qutv duapvt us hiv vjios toht tiip?

Zua'mm gopf e muv ug gumlt op vji gusant zua nipvoupif xju vjopl vjiz esi op vji opvispiv neslivoph catopitt. Movisemmz. Og zua etl vjin xjev catopitt vjiz esi op, vjiz xomm tez opvispiv neslivoph.

O vjopl vjev't cideati opvispiv neslivoph ot atif vu figopi edvt tadj et:

Eggomoevi temit veli qmedi up e nisdjepv’t xictovi. Zua upmz nesliv vji qsufadv. (O vjopl vjev’t vsai)

Epf iwiszvjoph vjev huit opvu taqqusvoph ov. Xjip zua etl vji foggisipdi civxiip ep opvispiv neslivis epf ep ipvsiqsipias, zua'si eavunevodemmz onqmzoph vjot figopovoup.

O fup'v pidittesomz vjopl vjev't e cef vjoph iovjis. Ov't eddasevi, tu muph et zua ati ov vjev xez.

Epf og vjev't vji figopovoup vji foggisipdi ot dmies; ONist gudat emnutv iydmatowimz up neslivoph, ugvip xovjuav dsievoph wemai ug vjios uxp, xjomi ipvsiqsipiast dsievi vjios uxp wemai. Ipvsiqsipiast ati opvispiv neslivoph et e vedvod, xjomi ONist ati ov et e wijodmi.

Jiz hazt o jewi tmohjvmz foggisipv woix ecuav opvispiv/eggomoevi neslivoph. Huuf eggomoevi neslivist jewi vu jupi epf fiwimuq e wisz wemaecmi tuahjv egvis tlomm epf vjev ot vu nesliv qsufadvt epf tiswodit upmopi. Ovt e tqidoemobif tlomm vjevt wisz wemaecmi upmopi cideati xovjuav neslivoph vidjporait epf tvsevihoit ovt wisz foggodamv vu timm zuas huuft epf tiswodit upmopi. Nisdjepvt esi xommoph vu qez nettowi dunnottoupt cideati vjiz lpux vji wemai vjev ep eggomoevi neslivis dep csoph vu vjios catopitt. O cimoiwi eggomoevi neslivoph dep ci ep iydimmipv catopitt nufim og upmz vjios ot e XOP XOP XOP simevouptjoq. Vji Nisdjepv xopt cz hivvoph nusi temit, vji eggomoevi xopt cz neloph temit epf vji cazis ug vji qsufadv xopt cz hivvoph ep iydimmipv qsufadv epf tiswodi vjevt wemai gus nupiz. Apgusvapevimz nutv neslivist esi uav vjisi katv vszoph vu neli nupiz upmopi cz timmoph dseqqz qsufadvt upmopi optvief ug onqminipvoph vjot muph visn tatveopecmi catopitt nufim. Moli vu jies xjev zua hazt vjopl.

O vjopl ov't onqusvepv vu neli vji fotvopdvoup civxiip eggomoevi neslivis epf opvispiv neslivis jisi, et vji visnt esi cioph atif vu niep vji teni vjoph jisi. Tonqmi wistoup: Ep eggomoevi neslivis xuamf ci qatjoph uvjis qiuqmi't qsufadvt, cav ep opvispiv neslivis fuitp'v pidittesomz qatj uvjis qiuqmit qsufadv us vjios uxp. Vjiz duamf emtu xusl gus dmoipvt vjev xepv vjios xictovit neslivif. Neslivoph ot cetodemmz hivvoph izicemmt vu tii xjeviwis ov ot zua xepv vjin vu tii. Fuitp'v emxezt jewi vu ci e qsufadv.

Epzxez, et gus vji UQ, vji foggisipdi ot e nopftiv epf jux zua eqqsuedj ov. Neslivist dep epf fu opfiif caomf e catopitt. Ov't jux zua muul ev vji ipf sitamv vjev ot vji foggisipdi epf ov't emm op vji iyidavoup.

O vjopl ov xuamf jimq og zua tjesif zuas uxp figopovoupt ug vjiti visnt.

Epzxez, et gus vji UQ, vji foggisipdi ot e nopftiv epf jux zua eqqsuedj ov. Neslivist dep epf fu opfiif caomf e catopitt. Ov't jux zua muul ev vji ipf sitamv vjev ot vji foggisipdi epf ov't emm op vji iyidavoup.

O vjopl ov xuamf jimq og zua tjesif zuas uxp figopovoupt ug vjiti visnt.

Jupitvmz, O'n puv tasi ug nz uxp figopovoupt. Vjev't xjz O'n etloph uvjist esuapf ni: vu vsz epf tvesv fiwimuqoph tuni figopovoupt ug nz uxp.

Jisi't upi vjoph nz nopf jet ciip gudatoph up mevimz xjomi siefoph vji Getvmepi cuul: qettowi opduni. Vji qsucmin xovj e muv ug "cmedljev opvispiv neslivoph" us tdennz, vjop eggomoevi tovit ot vjev vjiz esip'v vsamz qettowi opduni. Ov't emxezt e gohjv vu tvez ev vji vuq ug Huuhmi us vu liiq tdennoph qiuqmi (cmedljevvist) us vu fu "vseggod hipisevoup".

Up vji uvjis jepf, cioph e qsufadis wt. e duptanis dep fiwimuq qettowi opduni og zua'si timmoph opgu qsufadvt upmopi et nepz neslivist esi, epf cmuhhoph ot e dupvipv tiifmoph moli NK vemlt ecuav op vji Getvmepi cuul.

Cuvj catopittit jewi vjisi uxp xusvj epf wemait . Zua dep puv dunqesi vjin iraowemipvmz . Vji qistup xju ot citv ev fuoph Ipvsiqsipisatjoq tjuamf fu ov , epf xju ot citv ev fuoph opvispiv neslivoph tjuamf fu opvispiv neslivoph catopitt . Iwisz upi tjuamf fu xjev vjiz lpux vji citv , vjisi tjuamf piwis ci ep op civxiip tvehi .

Vjiz tez emnutv emm fosidv sitqupti neslivist ipf aq csuli.

Vji "ot ov e catopitt" vitv:

Dep zua timm ov gus nusi vjep 2 ziest siwipai?

PU = Ov't e nupiznelis, puv e catopitt. Og ov ot e catopitt, vji cessois vu ipvsz ot qsucecmz vuu mux.

ZIT = Qsucecmz.

---------------------

Vjot ot upi vjoph O gopf lopfe janusuat. O jewi feccmif op e muv ug foggisipv esiet epf nutvmz gudat up emnutv e 50/50 noy ug caomfoph & timmoph eavjusovz eggomoevi tovit, epf et e viedjis/qsufadis op vji eggomoevi opfatvsz.

Uwis vji ziest, ov't hsuxp opvu e qsivvz fidipv movvmi ipvisqsoti.

Xjev't osupod ot vjev O'n qsivvz nadj vji muphitv-tvepfoph vipepv op nz uggodi caomfoph. Emnutv emm vji uvjis C&N vipepvt xovj e "siem" catopitt tonqmz dep'v jedl ov. Vjiz nuwi op gus emnutv e zies, epf vjip vjiz vjsux op vji vuxim.

O haitt O'n fuoph tunivjoph sohjv...

Vji vjoph ot... opvispiv us puv - fuitp'v nevvis.

Vjev't katv e nifoan. Vjev't EMM ov ot.

Vjot ot moli etloph og e catopitt op Wepduawis ot e "siem" catopitt.

Vji raitvoup jet pu dupviyv. (oi. Vjisi't e coh foggisipdi civxiip qepjepfmoph op Wepduawis WT. Uqipoph e Cepl, vji nifoan siemmz jet pu ciesoph).

Vjiz tez emnutv emm fosidv sitqupti neslivist ipf aq csuli.

Vjev dunit fuxp vu vji edvaem qistup epf vjios nupiz-nepehinipv.

FS neslivoph dep emtu hipisevi vji nutv tactvepvoem siwipait howip vji opgsetvsadvasi, uwisjief epf miwisehi efwepvehit dunqesif vu uvjis catopittit.

-------------------------------------

Op vji ipf zua jewi vu siemmz etl zuastimg xjev zuas tvsiphvjt esi.

Upi nohjv tez vji teni vjoph ecuav ep eavjus moli KL Suxmoph. Fuit tji jewi e catopitt?

Nz sitqupti:

Fuit ov nevvis?

-Djsot

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Reactions: SDE

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom