After reading Millionaire Fastlane a week ago and setting up my account, I've been perusing the forums for a week before my first post (aside from replying to the "I've read Millionaire Fastlane" thread). Now it's time to introduce myself.
I'm a software developer in Montreal, Canada in my mid-40s. In fact, I'm nearing the 20 year mark as a dev, and I've recently been given team lead responsibilities. The software industry is doing well and with the next recession still ahead of us, job opportunities are abundant in my field. Still, I'm clearly in the slowlane, and I'm definitely part of the rat race.
Since my IT career stared, I've believed firmly in continuing education. However, that continuing education consisted solely of learning new programming languages and other IT skills. Then a couple of years ago, I started learning about topics outside my comfort zone: psychology, persuasion, media, and politics. I stumbled upon Twitter accounts from highly motivated and successful people. The wisdom of Fastlane was fed to me one 280 character block at a time: scattered...incomplete. The seeds were planted in my mind, but they would not yet bloom.
Still, I was very much lacking in motivation to make any meaningful changes in my life, and spent most of my free time in a most unproductive fashion either watching streaming video or playing console games. My finances, while solid, were sub-optimally managed. A minority of my free time was spent on books, educational YouTube channels, and a non-IT creative project.
Then in the last year, two events happened that guided me towards the Fastlane:
The first was witnessing an event that allowed me to see firsthand the disastrous consequences of letting things slide in one's life. It had a tremendous impact on me, as I was cured of the procrastination that had afflicted me for so long. I was able to focus more on personal activities outside work hours.
The second event that happened was this speech by Arnold Schwartzenegger, and it shook me to my core:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNDA-o9yJNw
How? It made me re-evaluate my beliefs. If an immigrant who could barely speak English could come to the United States with a few bucks in his pocket, win Mr. Universe, become a millionaire from starting successful businesses, become a Hollywood superstar, and then become governor of California, well...anything is possible.
This primed me to start on a new path. I came across a Charisma On Command Episode that recommended the Millionaire Fastlane:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwFw51Gn2to
At first I was skeptical, but I had to admit that there was something magnetizing about the idea of financial freedom. This was intriguing.
After the sample, I bought the book and start reading it at a fast clip. I overcame my natural aversion to reading books and read two to four chapters during my weekday commute and more on weekends. Despite being fatigued at the end of each work day, I found myself less motivated to indulge in mindless entertainment and more motivated to learn more from this amazing book.
Which business am I looking to get into? Well, that's the subject of a future post. Let's just say that it has definite pros and cons, in the context of CENTS, that I'm looking to flesh out.
I'm a software developer in Montreal, Canada in my mid-40s. In fact, I'm nearing the 20 year mark as a dev, and I've recently been given team lead responsibilities. The software industry is doing well and with the next recession still ahead of us, job opportunities are abundant in my field. Still, I'm clearly in the slowlane, and I'm definitely part of the rat race.
Since my IT career stared, I've believed firmly in continuing education. However, that continuing education consisted solely of learning new programming languages and other IT skills. Then a couple of years ago, I started learning about topics outside my comfort zone: psychology, persuasion, media, and politics. I stumbled upon Twitter accounts from highly motivated and successful people. The wisdom of Fastlane was fed to me one 280 character block at a time: scattered...incomplete. The seeds were planted in my mind, but they would not yet bloom.
Still, I was very much lacking in motivation to make any meaningful changes in my life, and spent most of my free time in a most unproductive fashion either watching streaming video or playing console games. My finances, while solid, were sub-optimally managed. A minority of my free time was spent on books, educational YouTube channels, and a non-IT creative project.
Then in the last year, two events happened that guided me towards the Fastlane:
The first was witnessing an event that allowed me to see firsthand the disastrous consequences of letting things slide in one's life. It had a tremendous impact on me, as I was cured of the procrastination that had afflicted me for so long. I was able to focus more on personal activities outside work hours.
The second event that happened was this speech by Arnold Schwartzenegger, and it shook me to my core:
How? It made me re-evaluate my beliefs. If an immigrant who could barely speak English could come to the United States with a few bucks in his pocket, win Mr. Universe, become a millionaire from starting successful businesses, become a Hollywood superstar, and then become governor of California, well...anything is possible.
This primed me to start on a new path. I came across a Charisma On Command Episode that recommended the Millionaire Fastlane:
At first I was skeptical, but I had to admit that there was something magnetizing about the idea of financial freedom. This was intriguing.
After the sample, I bought the book and start reading it at a fast clip. I overcame my natural aversion to reading books and read two to four chapters during my weekday commute and more on weekends. Despite being fatigued at the end of each work day, I found myself less motivated to indulge in mindless entertainment and more motivated to learn more from this amazing book.
Which business am I looking to get into? Well, that's the subject of a future post. Let's just say that it has definite pros and cons, in the context of CENTS, that I'm looking to flesh out.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
