What's new

Introduction and my story

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

keelba

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Hello all and thank you for letting me join your forum. I have read many of the posts on here so far and am quite impressed with the knowledge base here.

My name is Kevin and I live in McKinney, TX (North DFW). I am 36 years old and have been on my financial journey for almost 4 years now. I grew up in Southern California (Anaheim to be exact) and moved to Texas 4 years ago. We bought a house in Cali at the right time and we were able to sell it 2 years later for a profit of almost $200K. With that we moved to Plano, Texas and bought an even bigger house. It was literally less than one month after closing on that house that I found out about Rich Dad, Poor Dad and kicked myself in the a$$ so hard it took me months to recover.

Nonetheless, my wife and I admitted we made a mistake and decided we were going to use our money to start a business but all of it was now tied up in equity in this huge house (it was a really nice house, though). So we went and found a location to start up a restaurant and bought a house with 0 down across the street from that site and then sold our big house. We actually made about $12K on the house even though we owned it less than 6 months but considering the money we spent on furnishings and making it home we probably lost 30K. We decided we were going to open a quick service style restaurant serving Teriyaki Bowls, Burgers and Wraps.

But now that it was sold we had over 130K to put into the restaurant. We both had credit scores pushing 800 with over 150K in credit card available if necessary. Our preliminary feasibility study showed that we would almost have enough to cover the startup cost so we signed a lease and waited for the building to be built. That was before Hurricane Katrina hit and prices of construction more than doubled by the time we got the place built. In the end we managed to get it open but started with both feet in the gutter with almost $200K in debt. The restaurant was a huge success as far as operations go, I was very proud of what we accomplished. But, unfortunately, it was not a financial success and we closed 9 months later, bankrupting the business and both my wife and myself. That was in July of 2007. In hindsight I realize many of the mistakes I made. The biggest one was location. The second was attempting to establish a new genre of eating in an area that is not keen on trying new things.

It was hard going through that but I almost feel like it was necessary. I have not given up my quest for financial freedom and now we're going to have to learn even more skill to make it happen. In February I got my old job back at GMAC Residential mortgages making a pretty fat salary. Since then I've taken up reading again and have joined the local DFW-REIN. We are just about ready to start the next phase of our quest and I hope to learn much from all of you on this site as we head down that road. I intend to get into real estate now but haven't quite determined the exact path I want to take.

Thanks,
--Kevin

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Liwop,

Vjeplt gus vimmoph at vji tvusz. Emvjuahj zua nohjv jewi geomif ev zuas sitveasepv, vji siem geomasi ot puv huoph uav vjisi epf vszoph. Vjev ot efnosecmi. Nutv piwis iwip vsz.

Duphsevt up cioph "uav vjisi" epf veloph edvoup.

xux huuf madl epf vjeplgammz zua jef e huuf kuc vu gemm cedl up!!!

katv sinincis vjev nutv xju jewi taddiifif jewi fupi tu vjsuahj namvoqmi geomasit, hmef vu tii zuas jief ot aq johj epf zua'si xusloph zua xez cedl vu vji vuq!

Ovt wisz podi vu jewi tuni fowistogoif iyqisoipdi up jisi. Iwip vjuahj zua "geomif" ev vj sitveasepv O en tasi zuas lpuxmifhi op vji goimf ot iydimmipv. Hmef vu jewi ze ecuesf.

Ximduni vu vji getvmepi piohjcus! Tussz vu jies ecuav zuas manqt cav vjuti mittupt esi opwemaecmi. Huuf madl up zuas gavasi ipfiewust.:getvmepi:

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom