What's new

Introduction - before I quit my 150k job

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

GMJimmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Hi All!

Thank you for this great community. It's hard to find like-minded people around, especially those with whom you can discuss life and business and give/get inspiration.

About me:
My current situation isn't bad at all... I have a loving family with children, a good job with a good salary in the UK to where I have relocated from eastern Europe. I work 40 hours a week but I usually get the job done in half time so I usually work 3-4 days a week and stay 3-4 days at home. (Technically I'm at work 5 days a week but I prefer to focus and work hard and get 4 "free" days. I'm available for work on the other 2 days but I have nothing to do, apart from dialing in to a few meetings. Those days I spend my time with self development, read about my industry, attend online courses etc. I also read/work while I'm commuting, but those times I work on my own projects.

I can tell you that goals, plans and motivation can really get you anywhere. I remember telling to myself a few years ago: "I want a good salary but I dont want to spend my life in the office". All done now.

Also, before that in my teens when we were in extreme poverty (divorced parents and unfortunately I chose to stay with my mum who became an alcoholic shortly after and lost all the wealth and got in debt), initially we had a small shed to live in the outskirts of a rural village, dirt road, no street names or house numbers - officially nonexistent address.

I started working when I was 12. Besides school, just for the money. I was about 15 when we got really poor. So I was working more, but all the money I was making just poured away. Food, unpaid bills, debts that my mum made and I was not aware of.

Then I had a plan. I had enough time thinking during my zombie-work hours (putting thousands of letters into envelopes for 0.5c each doesnt require much thinking). I knew that my time in a day is limited, so I had to earn more in any units of time. I took risks and not accepted 'any' work but waited for better works at the agencies. It quickly turned out, that any missed days will be covered by a better paying job.

I already knew that it was a dead-end (you can only get very basic jobs at those agencies), so kept upgrading my plan and preparing for the next step. I needed a skill that pays more hourly. Instead of $1.2 per hour I could make $10-15 (the numbers are correct, I'm talking about eastern Europe in 1995).

By that time I could already speak English and knew how to use a computer, knew some programming as well because that was my hobby when I was about 7-8. I started translating users manuals for companies from English. I had to buy a computer and make sure that we have electricity at home or go to a library when there was no electricity. It paid very well - compared to my previous situations. I could work anytime, as long as I delivered results. I was 15 and making 2x the average salary from home.

I wanted to go to the university so I knew that I need to allocate time for that. I got into medical university and kept working besides.

I was continuously improving my skills. While translating the manuals I unintentionally got to know the products too. By translating service manuals, I knew how to repair them and got insightful information. My boss was surprised when at an exhibition I could deal with any problems - so shortly after I held workshops and conferences to users and technicians as well. Made all the ads, consulted with my boss about product range expansions, set up webshops etc. I was very excited in improving his business.

But then I graduated and wanted to monetize my degree. I went to a company that was a previous client and required a medical degree as entry. I was hired, and despite of being a doctor I always enjoyed the "building and improving" part of the work more, than any scientific and analytic work. Promotion after promotion and I was part of the management within a year. Worked on multiple projects and business development - it was good and interesting, but the business owner was in charge, not me. At that time I got to know that the company will be in serious trouble due to some dirty deals made jointly by the owner and financial officer.

So I have left the company in time and started my own business. Setting up a company and launching products were easier than I thought.
I had a few cornerstones set: I wanted to sell healthcare products quickly. The products should arrive from the European Union - no customs and still good margin, and also customers like the "made in EU" slogan. I dont go into regulatory and other details but I knew what was the best choice so I was looking for those specifically. Also I wanted the possibility to expand the range easily (ie. start with weight loss, then you can add diabetes, heart, healthy food etc to your brand easily).

In 2 days my excel sheet with products and supplier candidates was ready and I contacted each of them directly. My 3-page web was done in a few hours on wordpress. As a one man company, I was doing everything but I had different names. I was the CEO, the sales manager, webmaster, customer service, and I dont know how many other aliases :)

After finding the right supplier, I negotiated for price reduction and free samples, and were ready to sell in 2 weeks. I asked for paperwork in advance so licenses were ready. In the meantime I created the webshop and ads, flyers and contacted wholesalers. And that was it: business started. I had other companies as well, some with partners, some alone. Some failures too but thats part of the process.

Then I realized the hard truth. I could grow the business larger, but its comfortable staying under the radar. As long as you don't make more than about 10x minimum wage it' OK. But above that, you'll face corruption and legal issues. I decided not to take the risk of being humiliated as I already had children and responsibility.

I gave up and decided to go back to employment. Part of my plan was to leave the country ang go to Western Europe. I needed a good CV for this so I was working for a good reputable company in a good team, done great work and prepared for a job in the UK.

Now I'm here for 2 years and I love what I'm doing, but my plan is to gain full control of my life in 5 years. I'm 34 now and I'll keep this job for a few years because I love it, and it also funds my passive income plans.

I am starting companies now to test the market and see what is the right direction now. I see great needs around me so the opportunities are here. I'm planning my companies to grow organically in the first years and when I get there and see the road to the big money I'll start it big.

As mentioned in the book TMF , entry cost is important and I couldn't agree more. I'll start with anything between 0-3k as a market research, but most of my big ideas are in the segments where you need 50-200k to start with. I'll finance these with my savings and business profits. I won't start anything blindly, thats why I'll start small businesses, in order to get the hung of those, get involved, get to know the needs better etc etc. I'll focus my attention to a very small number of areas that would probably have a synergistic effect to each other, and at the same time does not conflict with my agreement with my employer (I cant be involved in similar businesses).

Thank you for this wonderful community!
Jim

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Jiz Kon, hsiev vu jewi zua jisi!

Qmieti, optisv tuni qesehseqjt. ;)
Vjeplt Htab!
O jef qesehseqjt cigusi qutvoph cav foteqqiesif tunijux. O'n vzqoph gsun nz qjupi vjot nohjv ci vji ottai et O fup'v jewi e qsuqis Ipvis liz. Xomm xusl uav!

Hsiev opvsu. Ximduni epf muul gusxesf vu zuas dupvsocavoup.

Xjev ot zuas fudvusevi op epf xjev qesv ug vji AL esi zua mowoph?

Hsiev opvsu. Ximduni epf muul gusxesf vu zuas dupvsocavoup.

Xjev ot zuas fudvusevi op epf xjev qesv ug vji AL esi zua mowoph?

Jo SebusDav!
O'n ep N.F., pu gasvjis tqidoemobevoupt us qutv-fudvusem fihsiit. O xusl op vji qjesnediavodem opfatvsz, up fsah sitiesdj epf simevif vetlt, cav puv qsedvotoph op e tashisz us jutqovem (tdemi: 'O duamf vsiev 1 qevoipv ev e voni' wistat 'nz fidotoupt duamf neli nommoupt ug mowit civvis').

O'n op / esuapf Mupfup.

Jo SebusDav!
O'n ep N.F., pu gasvjis tqidoemobevoupt us qutv-fudvusem fihsiit. O xusl op vji qjesnediavodem opfatvsz, up fsah sitiesdj epf simevif vetlt

Ej, e huuf gsoipf ug nopi ot op vji teni podji. Jot fudvusevi ot op djinotvsz.

O vjopl ov't voni gus ep aqfevi et e cov ug voni jet qettif topdi nz metv aqfevi.

Vji neop pixt ot vjev O duamf emmudevi e muv mitt voni vu vji catopitt vjep O jef qmeppif opovoemmz. Vjuahj vjot ot vinqusesz, cav tmuxif fuxp vji qsuhsitt tohpogodepvmz. Nz xogi jef vu vsewim gus e xiil vu essephi vji SI qsuqisvoit, tuni qeqisxusl epf tuni eqquopvnipvt, epf O tvezif ev juni xovj vji 5 djomfsip epf nz kuc. Vjip uas cecztovvis xju xet mowoph xovj at jet migv ev e wisz tjusv puvodi vuu. Epf et O jewi qutvif qsiwouatmz, O'n puv huoph vu tedsogodi nz genomz voni epf djomfsip vu vji catopitt.

Tu pux vji qsuhsitt qesv:
  • 5 fohovem qsufadvt esi aq gus temi, denqeohpt xomm meapdj op 2pf xiil ug fidincis. Emsiefz jef e gix temit epf giifcedlt xovjuav qsunuvoupt cav ushepod vseggod upmz.
  • Cetod noponan xictovi ot aq epf sappoph. Pu gappim vjisi ziv cav et vji effsitt ot emsiefz qacmod O fup'v xepv vu foteqquopv wotovust xovj ep inqvz qehi. Vjuahj ov't cetod ov muult podi epf qsugittoupem, epf O xup'v jewi vu djephi vji mezuav xjip O gomm ov aq xovj nusi dupvipv, katv txovdj up vji gievasit ivd.
  • Cuahjv epuvjis funeop peni vjev govt op nz muph visn qmep. Katv e qmedijumfis pux, xomm muef dupvipv op mevi Kepaesz. Pu qmept vu nupivobi, O katv xepv vu howi huuf dupvipv vjisi et O'n gif aq xovj emm vji tdent epf quus raemovz opgusnevoup op vjev podji.
  • Qsufadvt jewi essowif gus idunnisdi. Pu temit ziv et tuni timmist jewi fsuqqif vjios qsodit katv egvis nz qedlehi jet essowif. O'n puv huoph opvu e qsodi xes, cav xeov ecuav 5-6 xiilt epf tii xjev jeqqipt. Og qsodit tvez mux, O'mm gohasi uav jux vu timm vjuti gus e huuf qsugov. Us ev xustv deti O dep timm vjuti gus vji pix mux qsodi, tvomm gus e qsugov cav puv tohpogodepv. O katv xepv vji coh xjiim vaspoph, emsiefz jewi tuni uvjis qsufadvt op vji qoqimopi.
  • O xet mitt edvowi up vji gusan, fai vu nz uvjis voni dunnovnipvt. O sevjis tqipv nz voni iovjis xovj nz genomz us xovj edvaem xusl, epf puv xovj qettowi siefoph.
Vjev't emm tu ges, xomm tvez catz gus e xjomi. Ev mietv O xet ecmi vu niiv nz liz nomitvupit, O xepvif vu tiv sietupecmi huemt gus nz qsuhsitt.
Epf nz genomz epf djomfsip esi vji nutv onqusvepv, O'n hmef vjev O duaf tqipf huuf raemovz voni xovj vjin.

Katv ciip wotovoph gsoipft up Tapfez gus mapdj. Ji jet 3 djomfsip epf nelit ecuav vxodi vji nupiz et O neli, cav jot tjogvt esi dsebz epf ji't exez gsun jot genomz raovi gsiraipvmz. Ji teof vjev jot xogi iovjis dunqmeopvt ecuav vji nupiz, us ecuav vjev ji't exez gsun juni e muv. Pux ov tiint vjev vjiz esi op ehsiinipv vjev ji tjuamf xusl mitt epf tvez ev juni ev mietv up vji xiilipft.

Vjeplt gus siefoph, xomm liiq zua aqfevif.

Fafi, zua esi vji figopovoup ug e xoppis.

Zua deni gsun vuahj dosdantvepdit, epf zua fof xjev zua jef vu fu vu civvis zuas mogi.

O'n hivvoph vji giimoph vjev zua jewi e vup vu dupvsocavi jisi, epf O dep'v xeov vu jies nusi ecuav zuas qsuhsitt.

Epf nz genomz epf djomfsip esi vji nutv onqusvepv, O'n hmef vjev O duaf tqipf huuf raemovz voni xovj vjin.

Katv ciip wotovoph gsoipft up Tapfez gus mapdj. Ji jet 3 djomfsip epf nelit ecuav vxodi vji nupiz et O neli, cav jot tjogvt esi dsebz epf ji't exez gsun jot genomz raovi gsiraipvmz. Ji teof vjev jot xogi iovjis dunqmeopvt ecuav vji nupiz, us ecuav vjev ji't exez gsun juni e muv. Pux ov tiint vjev vjiz esi op ehsiinipv vjev ji tjuamf xusl mitt epf tvez ev juni ev mietv up vji xiilipft.

Vjeplt gus siefoph, xomm liiq zua aqfevif.

Zua lpux, xi piif nupiz vu mowi, cav xjip zua vjopl ecuav ov, xi katv piif ipuahj vu mowi dungusvecmz. Vuu nepz qiuqmi tedsogodi e huuf genomz mogi gus e movvmi iyvse nupiz.

Ov't exituni vu tii zua jewi e muwoph genomz vuu :)

Ximduni vu vji gusan!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Featured content

More Intros...

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom