The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Inventors/Product Developers - Would You Find This Useful?

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
Just looking for some quick feedback, would anyone find this service useful? Mainly inventors/product developer type people, but really anyone's feedback is welcome.

The way it would work is, you write a specification for your prototype and manufacturers bid on your project. Then, obviously, select the winning bid and go from there.

Get Your Prototype Made With BuildMyPrototype.com

Thanks for any feedback!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
Hey Bernieshawn,

I'm probably not your target market but I do know a thing or two about product development.

I'm not sure I understand what kind of products this is targeted for and how it works?

How complicated can a product be before your service doesn't apply?
What kind of details does the "inventor" need to submit?
Who coordinates or manages the project?

It sounds/looks likes you are suggesting a person can submit an "idea" and have it made?

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Looks like he is saying he will build a prototype of whatever it is you have. If it is something physical I guess.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What would keep the manufacturers that are not awarded the bid from knocking off the idea? That being said, I like the concept.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
What would keep the manufacturers that are not awarded the bid from knocking off the idea? That being said, I like the concept.

Vigilante, I was wondering the same thing.
I have a friend who invented a machine, has the patent but could not build it himself. The guy who built it for him, took the idea for himself and they have been in a major lawsuit for a few years. His machine has won contests. But as far as I know, he is not making any money on it because of the lawsuit. I guess they don't know who would get paid for the product until the lawsuit is settled. My friend has the patent but I do not know what kind of contract they may have entered into with the builder.

It is a good concept though as I get ideas in my head on stuff to do, but have no idea how to build the things. My question would be, what idea would be too difficult for them to build? Or what would they not be capable of? I think someone asked that before.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I doubt I would use a service like this. I would feel that my product would be exposed to way too many people that actually have the capability to create my product with ease. Then if they actually did steal my product, unless I had millions to waste in court, there would be nothing I could do about it. I'd like to keep it away from as many people like that as possible.

The way that I go about getting prototypes is to either make a mock up myself if it not to difficult or have someone draw it up for me. I would then find a trusted manufacturer, such as someone I got from a recommendation, and submit the mock up or drawing to them so that they can make me a working prototype.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I would say that the majority of people that I've met over the years that have ideas tend to be extremely cautious (ahem... maybe even overly cautious) about letting people see the details of their ideas, so that might be a big barrier for you as far as entering the market. It's a really cool idea, however, so I would make sure to emphasize the way in which you will protect their invention, etc.

I say go for it.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
I doubt I would use a service like this. I would feel that my product would be exposed to way too many people that actually have the capability to create my product with ease. Then if they actually did steal my product, unless I had millions to waste in court, there would be nothing I could do about it. I'd like to keep it away from as many people like that as possible.

The way that I go about getting prototypes is to either make a mock up myself if it not to difficult or have someone draw it up for me. I would then find a trusted manufacturer, such as someone I got from a recommendation, and submit the mock up or drawing to them so that they can make me a working prototype.

That makes sense but what if you wanted to get it done fast and needed a service like that with a signed guaranteed contract that only you could use. market and sell the product? May not be realistic but just thinking about it. I do like the idea, but I am not sure I would trust it based on what happened to my friend as I stated above.

Likwid, couldn't a trusted manufacturer also steal the product from you if they really wanted to? Although if they did, I guess they would not be in business long which is why I guess you specified trusted. Just some of my random thoughts on this. It seems an interesting idea but needs a lot of tweaking.

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
Thanks for all the responses!

Again, this is just a quick barebones minimum viable product site that I threw together in a couple of hours. Let's see if I can explain a little bit more about what I had in mind (although if I actually build this out it would depend more on what potential users want, not what I want).

I had come up with this idea because I have a couple product ideas that I've been thinking about, but know absolutely NOTHING about how to get started. What I had in mind was a place where people with invention/product ideas could go to get the ball rolling on their product, the first step being getting a prototype made. This site would be your destination in this situ

The way it would work is you just write up a specification for your desired product and submit it. To protect ideas, I was thinking that only the project title would be publicly viewable. Viewing the whole product/idea description would require an account.

The other step I could take to protect the inventor is require manufacturers to sign a contract agreeing not to steal the idea in order to view the project. Then, I could deliver all the signed contracts to the inventor so they have them on file if ever needed.

I don't think there's a way of 100% eliminating the possibility of a manufacturer stealing your idea unless you do everything yourself.

Thanks again for the input guys.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Thanks for all the responses!

Again, this is just a quick barebones minimum viable product site that I threw together in a couple of hours. Let's see if I can explain a little bit more about what I had in mind (although if I actually build this out it would depend more on what potential users want, not what I want).

I agree that there is never a 100% guarantee but it looks like you have a good idea. I think some people might use it, once you get it worked out to the point where it is a reality. But others might bypass and do it all on their own out of fear of losing their project. But maybe what YOU can do is find a way to bring them together with TRUSTED MANUFACTURERS on your site wit referrals from people that have already used them.

I had come up with this idea because I have a couple product ideas that I've been thinking about, but know absolutely NOTHING about how to get started. What I had in mind was a place where people with invention/product ideas could go to get the ball rolling on their product, the first step being getting a prototype made. This site would be your destination in this situ

The way it would work is you just write up a specification for your desired product and submit it. To protect ideas, I was thinking that only the project title would be publicly viewable. Viewing the whole product/idea description would require an account.

The other step I could take to protect the inventor is require manufacturers to sign a contract agreeing not to steal the idea in order to view the project. Then, I could deliver all the signed contracts to the inventor so they have them on file if ever needed.

I don't think there's a way of 100% eliminating the possibility of a manufacturer stealing your idea unless you do everything yourself.

Thanks again for the input guys.

I agree that there is never a 100% guarantee but it looks like you have a good idea. I think some people might use it, once you get it worked out to the point where it is a reality. But others might bypass and do it all on their own out of fear of losing their project. But maybe what YOU can do is find a way to bring them together with TRUSTED MANUFACTURERS on your site wit referrals from people that have already used them.

hmmmm, that's an idea.....maybe I can do that! :coffee: lol
But seriously, that might be something for you to think about

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
The biggest thing would be to provide security and idea protection to your users as I think what ntapia said is very true. I talk to so many people who go I have a great idea but I cant tell you.

If you could set it up so that all manufacturers had to sign a rediculously inventor protective contract to bid on projects you might be able to provide some security to your users. Also ideally you would also provide legal defense of their patents if they idea is stollen as a result of using your site (probably not neccessary to get started but would really help in the future when you start rolling). I would also recomend doing a lot of research on the manufacturers you allow to use your site. This is something that alibaba has recieved alot of negative press for.

All this being said I would use it if the price what reasonable and the contract I had to sign with you made sense. I am not afraid of my ideas getting stolen I can always think of another one. I have seen similar site Quirkey for example but I am not willing to essentially give my idea away. Many of those type of sites want you to sign away your idea to the point where they have rights to all future royalties your idea produces even if their site did not help you and they can also use and distribute your idea as they see fit. Too much loss of control for me plus it just seems like a suckers deal.

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
I just made a couple of small updates - see the new option to require manufacturers to sign a NDA/non-compete in order to view products on the form. How does that look? Would that make people feel more secure?

I would of course have to build in that functionality if I did build this out, but that shouldn't be too hard to automate. Then, just keep a copy of all signed contracts on file.

All this being said I would use it if the price what reasonable and the contract I had to sign with you made sense. I am not afraid of my ideas getting stolen I can always think of another one. I have seen similar site Quirkey for example but I am not willing to essentially give my idea away. Many of those type of sites want you to sign away your idea to the point where they have rights to all future royalties your idea produces even if their site did not help you and they can also use and distribute your idea as they see fit. Too much loss of control for me plus it just seems like a suckers deal.

This actually raises another pain point that this service could address. I have noticed some advertisements for those type of services where you basically sell them the idea and then they go out and make it. I have never looked into those services but I'm sure they completely rip you off.

I had thought about monetizing it by taking a % of the cost of the prototype but I could also take a % royalty that's a lot smaller than what other services do.

The one other thing is how to bridge the gap between prototyping and manufacturing? Obviously, the majority of money is spent on actual manufacturing, not just a single prototype. In terms of monetization, making sure to get a % on the manufacturing agreement would be key, but how to stop manufacturers from going behind my back and making agreements? Something to think about, but this idea isn't even at that stage yet, so I'm not going to think about that yet.

Thanks again guys.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I actually like the idea but I'm sorry man, I see way too many problems. The major one is that you started building a site/business without coming up with a solid game plan beforehand. You should have most of it figured out already but it seems like there are way too many questions and huge obstacles to overcome. Most of these questions should have been dealt with before you put all this time and effort into building the site.

Being a Product Developer, I don't see why anyone serious would use this service. I foresee way too many problems, most of them have already been stated in this thread. I think most of your business will come from average Joe's with an idea but that's all. Most will get a prototype but how many will actually got through the whole process and place a large order with a manufacturer. That's if the manufacturer's don't just take the ideas and run with them.

I think most Inventor website's charge a large up front fee because they know that 99% of people don't follow through. If they had to rely on the 1%, they wouldn't make a dime. Your going to make money on the purchase of a large order. Not from building a prototype, which most manufacturers usually do for a very minimal fee. Then you have to worry about manufacturers and the customer going behind your back or the manufacturer going behind the inventor's back. That means lots of lawsuits with you right in the middle of them. I site like this would probably need a team of lawyers to look at every possible angle to protect you and protect the Inventor.

I hope I'm wrong and hope that you do find a way to figure this whole thing out.

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
I actually like the idea but I'm sorry man, I see way too many problems. The major one is that you started building a site/business without coming up with a solid game plan beforehand. You should have most of it figured out already but it seems like there are way too many questions and huge obstacles to overcome. Most of these questions should have been dealt with before you put all this time and effort into building the site.

Being a Product Developer, I don't see why anyone serious would use this service. I foresee way too many problems, most of them have already been stated in this thread. I think most of your business will come from average Joe's with an idea but that's all. Most will get a prototype but how many will actually got through the whole process and place a large order with a manufacturer. That's if the manufacturer's don't just take the ideas and run with them.

I think most Inventor website's charge a large up front fee because they know that 99% of people don't follow through. If they had to rely on the 1%, they wouldn't make a dime. Your going to make money on the purchase of a large order. Not from building a prototype, which most manufacturers usually do for a very minimal fee. Then you have to worry about manufacturers and the customer going behind your back or the manufacturer going behind the inventor's back. That means lots of lawsuits with you right in the middle of them. I site like this would probably need a team of lawyers to look at every possible angle to protect you and protect the Inventor.

I hope I'm wrong and hope that you do find a way to figure this whole thing out.

Hey, no harm done :) I actually haven't invested anything into this except for $10 for the domain and a couple hours to make a site that looks functional. I haven't actually built anything for the actual functionality yet.

If you actually submit a project, it doesn't do anything but tell you that we're not ready yet and offers to enter your email to be notified when (which really means if :)) we launch.

It's just what they call a MVP (minimum viable product). I had the idea, so I figured I'd put it together and see if there might be any interest. Small price to pay to test the idea out.

And yeah, the whole manufacturing vs prototype thing, the money being in the manufacturing, is the main issue that I've been thinking about, if I were to actually do it.

Again, I'm thinking leaning towards not doing it at this point, but still keeping an open mind. Again, not much lost if I don't decide to pursue it, since I haven't invested much time or money into it.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Hey, if it were easy then everybody would be doing it. It probably is possible to do, just how to do right is the question. Don't give up on it just yet. If you do wind up pursuing it further, I would look into the whole legal aspect of it because that's where I see the biggest potential for problems. If you can figure it all out then maybe you'll have something good. It's just going to take A LOT of hard work trying to figure it out.

Ivan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 22, 2011
I'm kind of curious as to what you guys do with those "minimum viable product" websites that don't get any traction.

Let's say I sink $10 and 5 hours of my life into a project (like the OP did) and find out no one's interested. Should I keep it around to use for future link bait, throw it up on Flippa, ...?

Just wondering what you guys do...

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
Find Your ManufacturerI was doing some reading and actually might have stumbled across a true need, if I were to approach this a little differently from the manufacturing side, not prototyping.

I was reading this article and the first paragraph jumped out at me as a need that this could possibly address if I did it right:

Every day, new and experienced entrepreneurs ask me the question: "How do I find a manufacturer?" I wish there was one simple answer to this important question. What I've found is that it's somewhat like a treasure hunt--looking for that hidden jewel of a partner. If you're making a new invention--let's call it a "thingamajig"--you can't exactly open the phone book to find a company currently making "thingamajigs" and ask for a quote.

Link here: How Can I Find a Manufacturer? | Entrepreneur.com

I guess the questions now are (1) Can I make something that's better than what's available now? and (2) Can I market it effectively and get it off the ground?

Made a few quick, rough edits to my page that would reflect this new focus: Find Your Manufacturer

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.