The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Is my thinking flawed?

akrtw

New Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Sep 21, 2012
HK
Hi Fastlaners,

I have joined the forum for some time but rarely post. I was your typical wantreprenuer, money-chaser, jumping from one idea to another, making small money here and there but never scale to a “life-changing” level.

I recently re-read TMF and some of the golden posts here. I really want to start building a business that truly solves needs and offers value to a market.

However, I’m kinda stuck in thinking what business to build. I come up with different ideas but feel that each has its problems... or am I just making up excuse from overcoming challenges?

Here are my ideas:
  1. A SaaS product for salespeople - I am a tech salesperson myself so I know there is a need for this product. But I don’t know how to code. I have a full time job and I don’t intend to quit before I start making some money from my business. That means I cannot just setup a company and hire a full-time CTO/developer. I also think working with some part-time/freelance developer won’t work. Stuck.
  2. Online fitness coach platform - this is my personal need. I start working out but can’t afford a 1-to-1 fitness coach. I think it’ll be great if a professional coach can create a dedicated plan for me, check-in with me regularly and give me guidance on my fitness progress. It turns out some individual gym is already providing that service. I don’t know if I can do better than those companies because I’m not even a successful bodybuilder myself. How can I build a product in something that I haven’t even succeeded in? Stuck.

3. Whiteboard video creation service - seems straightforward and there should be a need. But this model is not scalable. I’m just trading time for my money. Seems to contradict the commandment of Scale. Stuck.
I go list more ideas but I think it illustrates my thinking.

A little bit more background:
  1. I do have a small lead generation business that is making 1-3k a month but again it is not scalable. My ads is already at the top of Google and getting most impressions and clicks. The search volume of my keywords is limited.
  2. I have had small success in doing web design (thanks Fox) but again I feel that’s not scalable. Other web design agencies are creating websites with much higher quality with much less cost. It’s also trading my time with money, which contradict the equation of wealth
Please be harsh and direct. If I’m wrong let me know. If I’m right in the above analysis and it’s just that I haven’t come up with the right idea yet, let me know too.

Really appreciate your feedback!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Haelios

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jul 9, 2019
Virginia
You wanted us to be harsh, so here it goes...

Screw your negative thoughts.

Nearly all of the ideas that you've suggested can be accomplished, you just seem to be forgetting certain factors to each one.

A SaaS product for salespeople - I am a tech salesperson myself so I know there is a need for this product. But I don’t know how to code. I have a full time job and I don’t intend to quit before I start making some money from my business. That means I cannot just setup a company and hire a full-time CTO/developer. I also think working with some part-time/freelance developer won’t work. Stuck.

What's stopping you from taking the time out of your day to learn to program? You can always outsource your ideas, but why not save costs by learning how to do certain things yourself?

Online fitness coach platform - this is my personal need. I start working out but can’t afford a 1-to-1 fitness coach. I think it’ll be great if a professional coach can create a dedicated plan for me, check-in with me regularly and give me guidance on my fitness progress. It turns out some individual gym is already providing that service. I don’t know if I can do better than those companies because I’m not even a successful bodybuilder myself. How can I build a product in something that I haven’t even succeeded in? Stuck.

Just because one company is already doing what you have in mind doesn't mean that this road is sealed for good. Have you seen how many fitness channels are on social media, like YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, etc.? Even if you're not a successful bodybuilder, you don't have to be Arnold Schwarzenegger tier in physique to make fitness content.

Whiteboard video creation service - seems straightforward and there should be a need. But this model is not scalable. I’m just trading time for my money. Seems to contradict the commandment of Scale. Stuck.

There may be some factors that will violate the CENTS commandments but that doesn't mean they have to be followed to the T. Think about how many people use services like Amazon? In theory, Amazon could cut their products off the website entirely, which violates the commandment of Control, but that doesn't stop people who are driven.

Perhaps the biggest problem you face of all, is that you don't exactly believe in your abilities. You'll go nowhere if you retain a negative train of thought as it'll bleed into your efforts in life. Have the confidence and guts to leap into projects and you'll get way further in life than if you just mope about what can and can't be done in your eyes.

GWan

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
It seems like you have some reasonable doubts for each of your ideas, but that is normal at the beginning. You won't know unless you try. You've already listed the solutions to your problems, but you're just unwilling to try them out because you're afraid they won't work and you'll waste time.

Remember that failure is a prerequisite to success.

SaaS Product - Your solution is to either:
  1. Learn to code, which isn't as hard as you think.
  2. Hire a developer. It would obviously make no sense to hire someone full-time right away. You should spend your weeknights and weekends creating the designs for the website and then find freelance developers that can build it for you. As someone in the tech industry, I can tell you that this is a very realistic option.

Online fitness coach platform
It turns out some individual gym is already providing that service. I don’t know if I can do better than those companies because I’m not even a successful bodybuilder myself. How can I build a product in something that I haven’t even succeeded in? Stuck.
This is a big limiting belief, even MJ talks about people getting stuck because they're looking for an idea that has never been done before. Facebook beat MySpace, that should be enough to show you that this could possibly be successful.

Whiteboard Video Service
Although it might not follow CENTS, could focusing on this business allow you to make enough each month to quit your full-time job? This will allow you to have more time to focus on building a fastlane business.

You mention that you've had success with lead generation and web design. Don't quit or feel discouraged about these businesses just because you're trading time for money. Instead, view them as a stepping stone to your fastlane business.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Cancel anytime

$7 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 44% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Crush Goals: 30% Off GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Save the best: bookmark/archive ability
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • Crush Goals: 50% Off a GoalSumo.com Subscription

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.