- Joined
- Mar 3, 2013
- Messages
- 2,109
Rep Bank
$3,195
$3,195
User Power: 160%
I never paid much attention to "Flash" web-games. Lately, I've been reading about the Flash/HTML5 web-game marketplace. I didn't even realize there was a market for web-games.
If I understand it correctly, these guys make skinnable HTML5 games and license them to websites that are looking for interesting web assets. The "True Valhalla" guy below, has dozens of games, and claims to have made $250k licensing them out. Some clients want to buy the code outright, and some just want to license it, brand it, and run it on their site for a few months.
WebGL looks awesome, and should only get better when Web Assembly gets here. At that point, casual computer users may not need to install software, and Chromebooks will be even more useful. I ran the "Sponza" demo below on an i3 Chromebook, and it looked great. Seeing what technology can do makes me think about what kind of solutions can be developed to solve people's problems.
I've written mobile apps that are really good at what they do, but are not what mobile users needed. Redone as a web-app, companies in the associated field might want to license the web-app and make it free to their customers. Another example, you could make a movie trivia game, that only included the movies from Sony. Sony could then license that game, and host it on their site. As an HTML5 game, it would work on iOS/Android/PCs/Chromebooks. Another benefit is that Apple and Android would be excluded from the monetization process, and you could not be banned from the app store because your app is actually a website.
There is also the possibility of putting the web asset in to a mobile app, and releasing it as a "native" app. Usually I found that "HTML5 apps" on mobile sucked performance-wise, and perhaps they still do, but I'm trying to think out of the box. Maybe there already is a new box, and I just noticed it.
The benefits of an HTML5/WebGL app over a native iOS/Android app, appears to be:
- Apple does not take 30% of any monetization
- Your app cannot be removed from the App stores
- You can use any content that is legal (porn)
- You get paid by one or more businesses, rather than fickle consumers
- You own your Intellectual Property
- Your IP is not bound to someone else's IP (see Facebook's new React license)
- If you are licensing your IP, you don't have to worry about monetization
- Your development tools can be anything, you don't specifically need a Mac
The cons seem to be:
- Generally slow performance on mobile devices
- Apps/Games are much simpler than native ones
- Requires a connection to the internet
When Web Assembly gets here, the only negative will be a required internet connection. If there isn't one already, I expect there will be a lot of interest in HTML5 WebGL games/apps. There might even be something like Ruby-on-Rails or Laravel, where the generated system is HTML5/JS/WebGL/WebAssembly.
Well, I'm excited. Here are some links:
Technology Examples:
http://www.babylonjs.com/Demos/Sponza
http://www.babylonjs.com/Demos/Train
Business Examples:
http://www.gamesbrief.com/2014/08/go-html5-or-die-how-to-make-up-to-50-000-usd-from-a-html5-game
http://truevalhalla.com/blog/buy-html5-games
http://jessefreeman.com/articles/my-take-on-monetizing-html5-games
Markets:
http://www.marketjs.com
https://codecanyon.net/category/html5/games
If I understand it correctly, these guys make skinnable HTML5 games and license them to websites that are looking for interesting web assets. The "True Valhalla" guy below, has dozens of games, and claims to have made $250k licensing them out. Some clients want to buy the code outright, and some just want to license it, brand it, and run it on their site for a few months.
WebGL looks awesome, and should only get better when Web Assembly gets here. At that point, casual computer users may not need to install software, and Chromebooks will be even more useful. I ran the "Sponza" demo below on an i3 Chromebook, and it looked great. Seeing what technology can do makes me think about what kind of solutions can be developed to solve people's problems.
I've written mobile apps that are really good at what they do, but are not what mobile users needed. Redone as a web-app, companies in the associated field might want to license the web-app and make it free to their customers. Another example, you could make a movie trivia game, that only included the movies from Sony. Sony could then license that game, and host it on their site. As an HTML5 game, it would work on iOS/Android/PCs/Chromebooks. Another benefit is that Apple and Android would be excluded from the monetization process, and you could not be banned from the app store because your app is actually a website.
There is also the possibility of putting the web asset in to a mobile app, and releasing it as a "native" app. Usually I found that "HTML5 apps" on mobile sucked performance-wise, and perhaps they still do, but I'm trying to think out of the box. Maybe there already is a new box, and I just noticed it.
The benefits of an HTML5/WebGL app over a native iOS/Android app, appears to be:
- Apple does not take 30% of any monetization
- Your app cannot be removed from the App stores
- You can use any content that is legal (porn)
- You get paid by one or more businesses, rather than fickle consumers
- You own your Intellectual Property
- Your IP is not bound to someone else's IP (see Facebook's new React license)
- If you are licensing your IP, you don't have to worry about monetization
- Your development tools can be anything, you don't specifically need a Mac
The cons seem to be:
- Generally slow performance on mobile devices
- Apps/Games are much simpler than native ones
- Requires a connection to the internet
When Web Assembly gets here, the only negative will be a required internet connection. If there isn't one already, I expect there will be a lot of interest in HTML5 WebGL games/apps. There might even be something like Ruby-on-Rails or Laravel, where the generated system is HTML5/JS/WebGL/WebAssembly.
Well, I'm excited. Here are some links:
Technology Examples:
http://www.babylonjs.com/Demos/Sponza
http://www.babylonjs.com/Demos/Train
Business Examples:
http://www.gamesbrief.com/2014/08/go-html5-or-die-how-to-make-up-to-50-000-usd-from-a-html5-game
http://truevalhalla.com/blog/buy-html5-games
http://jessefreeman.com/articles/my-take-on-monetizing-html5-games
Markets:
http://www.marketjs.com
https://codecanyon.net/category/html5/games
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
